Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

It's been said all summer, but we're a midfielder and winger away from having a really exciting first team. It appears the club are rightly looking at quality over quantity though, so it might take another transfer window or so to fill both of those positions, especially with a back up for Wilson required.

1 minute ago, Tiresias said:

I dunno, I appreciate it is maybe poorly implemented but as a measure to make sure clubs aren't spending beyond their means it still strikes me as sensible but it does seem bafflingly implemented. Nottingham Forest's spending looks very worrying to me as i think they are very probable to go back down and then can they afford that? Equally you look at the bonkers spending of Chelsea and you think are they really earning enough to offset that? (The answer is yes by all accounts but it still looks baffling). This is all aggravated by clubs taking full advantage of the Covid rules that were there for good reason and yet some clearly taken the piss with it.

We are hamstrung by Ashley's total uninterest in developing our income. We will fix this and there will be a lot of low hanging fruit for the new regime to get the income up so our spending power will progress. The other problem is the Bruce years led to us having a squad with very few saleable assets to raise funds. Of the players we would be willing to sell we could maybe get £15m for Miggy max? This is a situation of the clubs making even if it's not the present owners own fault. 

Unfortunately though FFP is not about making the top of the league more fair, and never will be while the clubs have voting power. If you were serious about that you would look at wage caps seriously.

For the 1000th time. Nobody is going to spend £15m on a 0 G/A attacking midfielder.

No, FFP is a cartel. All that needs doing is to ensure owners will personally/professionally underwrite the losses. FFP is there to stop new Chelsea, PSG & Man City's. If FFP was about protecting football clubs - they would prevent leveraged takeovers that take profitable clubs into huge debts.

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It's been said all summer, but we're a midfielder and winger away from having a really exciting first team. It appears the club are rightly looking at quality over quantity though, so it might take another transfer window or so to fill both of those positions, especially with a back up for Wilson required.

With the momentum we have now - it would feel like a missed opportunity.

I think we are 2-3 away from being a really useful team.

11 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Feel like we're so close to a very good side, but just a little off being there. It'll be frustrating if we don't get anyone.

Totally agree with this and ironically, having seen us play so well, now is actually the most anxious I've been this transfer window. 

We're really onto something here. If we don't find that additional player to put the gloss on this really, really solid team, then it feels like it could be a massive opportunity missed. 

If our constraints are as such that we can't find the horse to bolt onto this cart, then fair enough, but with the money they've offered for players so far I feel like we've enough resources to find someone. 

We shouldn't be afraid of anyone from 6th downwards. 

8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

For the 1000th time. Nobody is going to spend £15m on a 0 G/A attacking midfielder.

No, FFP is a cartel. All that needs doing is to ensure owners will personally/professionally underwrite the losses. FFP is there to stop new Chelsea, PSG & Man City's. If FFP was about protecting football clubs - they would prevent leveraged takeovers that take profitable clubs into huge debts.

I mean yes is a stretch but there are idiots out there :D

19 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

I dunno, I appreciate it is maybe poorly implemented but as a measure to make sure clubs aren't spending beyond their means it still strikes me as sensible but it does seem bafflingly implemented. Nottingham Forest's spending looks very worrying to me as i think they are very probable to go back down and then can they afford that? Equally you look at the bonkers spending of Chelsea and you think are they really earning enough to offset that? (The answer is yes by all accounts but it still looks baffling). This is all aggravated by clubs taking full advantage of the Covid rules that were there for good reason and yet some clearly taken the piss with it.

That's the problem - it's disguised as that, but it isn't. Clubs are still going bust, they're still being laden with debt (eg Burnley) and the top clubs are only "sustainable" as long as they are consistently sitting at the top end of the table. 

1 hour ago, Doctor Zaius said:

As well as we played on Saturday I think we really need a few more like.

Almiron has been decent in pre season but a good right sided forward/winger changes this side. It adds much needed quality and frees up ASM from getting doubled up on as much. Desperate to get one over the line and a backup striker for Wilson too.

Feel like we're so close to a very good side, but just a little off being there. It'll be frustrating if we don't get anyone. I'm pretty sure Bruno will be off at the end of the season if he maintains this form, regardless of who we sign like but we need to be matching the ambitions of our players.

Mind, I do recognise how difficult it is with the players available and the FFP constraints. 

I'm relaxed about it, we have a very good squad and all we really need is extra depth at CF and an upgrade at RW, ideally a player who can do both.

The club are obviously being patient about it and will only buy the right player/s at the right price who will be a genuine upgrade on what we have. If we don't get that in this window we've got plenty enough talent and depth to have a very good season.

We've got the most players in that list. 6 in total, that's 2 more than Wolves and Brighton.

Bit of an anomaly maybe as Forrest let us run riot to some extent. But still a good sign for us.

I'd take any of the top 3 in that list. All of which would seemingly cost more than we are willing to pay though.

Just now, PlymouthGeordie said:

Ryder reckons we're planning on going back in for Gordon if we can't get Maddison.

Although I like Gordon as a player, think he has something about him that's a canny drop in levels, plus they play in different positions (though Howe has already addressed that by saying if we can strengthen elsewhere we will)

6 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Any good ? 

I don't for one second belive that guy on twitter but for what it's worth he looks OK. Decent record in La Liga (35gls in 81apps). Plays through the middle but can play out wide or as a false 9. Aresnal were interested in him before they get Jesus.

Win against Brighton and wolves and do well enough against City and can look at some talented hungry players at CL clubs who don’t want to sit on the bench.

One of the big issues is players arent willing to take a chance on Newcastle yet - but a strong start might turn their heads, especially if it’s initially a loan.

I thought Gordon had signed a new contract with everton? And maddison was on the verge of signing one with Leicester?

Skybet got us 11/10 to sign paqueta. They definitely read this forum.

9/4 to stay at lyon

6/1 bar

Wonder what their max stake is