Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

1 minute ago, TRon said:

What if we sign Tielemans before the window shuts? Will that still be a 10/10?

Yes.

But we won't.

Okay we might.

We've vastly improved the spine of the team. We now have a top class striker on the bench, whoever starts. And two brilliant CB pairings. Okay maybe take off a point for losing Dubs.

Edited by Happinesstan

Just now, gbandit said:

I think I'd give the window an 8/10 if it stays like this. Targett was a must really given his performances last season. Botman was a huge signing and shows that we're competing for some of the best up-and-coming talent in Europe. Nick Pope has proved to be an outstanding signing and should be our keeper for years and years to come. I would have given the window a 6/10 but I never thought we'd be able to land Isak. That elevates it to an 8/10 for me. I know we're still massively weak in certain areas but it can't all be done in one or two windows. The signings we have made are all very high quality with potential for Botman and Isak to get better and better. One thing I would have liked would have been to move on more dead wood and bring in a few pragmatic signings but it just shows how terrible our wider squad is

Very fair unbiased and non delusional rating :thup: 

The squad is always going to need more players or have higher priorities. It's going to be incredibly rare we ever go into a window without needing something else. I also think we'll look to keep building incrementally in January too so this isn't really our lot for the season per se. If we can keep Bruno, ASM, Wilson & Maxi fit for a good chunk between now and the WC then I think we'll be in a very good position to keep momentum during Jan.

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I think I'd give the window an 8/10 if it stays like this. Targett was a must really given his performances last season. Botman was a huge signing and shows that we're competing for some of the best up-and-coming talent in Europe. Nick Pope has proved to be an outstanding signing and should be our keeper for years and years to come. I would have given the window a 6/10 but I never thought we'd be able to land Isak. That elevates it to an 8/10 for me. I know we're still massively weak in certain areas but it can't all be done in one or two windows. The signings we have made are all very high quality with potential for Botman and Isak to get better and better. One thing I would have liked would have been to move on more dead wood and bring in a few pragmatic signings but it just shows how terrible our wider squad is

It's been a cracking window in all fairness. Still holding out hope that we might sneak in another loan to plug the gaps, but will give a full verdict tomorrow when the dust settles.

Just now, Gallowgate Toon said:

The squad is always going to need more players or have higher priorities. It's going to be incredibly rare we ever go into a window without needing something else. I also think we'll look to keep building incrementally in January too so this isn't really our lot for the season per se. If we can keep Bruno, ASM, Wilson & Maxi fit for a good chunk between now and the WC then I think we'll be in a very good position to keep momentum during Jan.

👍🏻 If being the key word!

It's been an excellent window and yes there are holes in the squad but this is the inevitable disparity between bits of the squad that were never good enough (Murphy etc) and new people. The club were clearly never going to sign enough players to have depth in every position as they want to evolve the squad. I imagine if you are unhappy with the window you are one of those who think we will/should be top 4 end of season which there is no chance, however I give 99% fans more common sense than that. In reality we will be midtable between 6th and 10th likely but with some excellent performances on the way. 

Edited by Tiresias

Just now, jonny1403 said:

We've essentially replaced:

Ciaran Clark with Sven Botman

Dwight Gayle with Isak

Dubravka with Pope

That's an insane strengthening of the spine of the team in one window. Don't see how anyone can be unhappy with that.

Not unhappy with those 3. Still need more though, nothing is ever finished.

2 minutes ago, jonny1403 said:

We've essentially replaced:

Ciaran Clark with Sven Botman

Dwight Gayle with Isak

Dubravka with Pope

That's an insane strengthening of the spine of the team in one window. Don't see how anyone can be unhappy with that.

I think we've also recruited a few potential young 'uns, as well. Not to be overlooked when judging the window.

4 minutes ago, gbandit said:

This for me. We've spent £200m and significantly improved at GK, LB, RB, CB, CM and in attack in two windows. 6-7 new first-team regulars. It's going to take a bit of time. If we could add another 1-2 somehow in the next 8 hours then great but it's been a fantastic couple of windows.

Pope

Trippier Botman Schar/Burn Targett

Bruno Shelvey Joelinton

Isak Wilson ASM

Assuming that's our current first-choice XI, there are 6-7 out of the 11 there who didn't play for us eight months ago.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love another CM/RW but it's hard not to be impressed with our business in January and the summer. Plus, this time in January I was fairly sure not bringing in Lingard could be the difference between going down and staying up so clearly I know absolutely fuck all about anything.

10 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Pope, Botman and Isak, for a combined £90 million [not forgetting securing Targett] is 10/10 for where we are right now. Don't care what anybody says.

Absolutely this. The team and squad is unrecognisable and there is no conceivable outcome whereby I'm disappointed at 11pm. The only negative side to the entire window is losing Dubravka but every single other signing has been spot on.

Even including the January window, Wood was a poor buy but even then you could make a very decent argument that the team functioned better with him in and the rise from 19th when he signed to 11th at the end of the season contributed a large slice of the £25m. Think it went from about £3.6m up to £25.7m or very close in merit payments. 

Anyone having a pop later on tonight might need to reflect on just how far we've come in 12 months tbh

6 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

Pope

Bruno Shelvey Joelinton

Isak Wilson ASM

Assuming that's our current first-choice XI, there are 6-7 out of the 11 there who didn't play for us eight months ago.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love another CM/RW but it's hard not to be impressed with our business in January and the summer. Plus, this time in January I was fairly sure not bringing in Lingard could be the difference between going down and staying up so clearly I know absolutely fuck all about anything.

The turnover of first team players is mental really when you see it written down. It obviously needed to be done but to change half your starting XI in two windows is some ask. The fact we appear to have managed it without falling into the traps that every other nouveau riche club with pretensions of the top half does is a massive credit to the club.

6 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

Pope

Bruno Shelvey Joelinton

Isak Wilson ASM

You may as well bold Joelinton as well. From the ghost up front to the fucking brick wall in midfield is as good as a replacement signing as its a completely different position being filled

Did feel earlier in the window that CM/DM was something we'd look at medium term, either in January or next summer. Only thing I've got a downer about is the lack of RW, you could argue Isak is that but I see him as a striker that keeps Wood out of league starting XIs which we had to sort rather than a winger. Moussa Diaby or Jack Harrison would've been brilliant upgrades, especially the former, but we'll probably have to wait until we reach Europe to prise the likes of those two away.

But I am very happy with the window overall since we got Isak. Watching him last night and looking at our upcoming fixtures with our best players to come back in soon has me hella excited.

14 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

Pope

Bruno Shelvey Joelinton

Isak Wilson ASM

I think that's absolutely fantastic. What they've done to our starting 11 is amazing.