Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

19 hours ago, Rafalove said:

Linked with Andrey Santos again. @Flipis going to have to do some scouting on behalf of the forum

Read that he was, or did sign a new contract midweek, so not sure if it was all agent talk or not. 

On 08/09/2022 at 11:41, Joey47 said:

Same way wolves are signing Diego Costa after the window closed. Not sure exactly why it's allowed though.

would be a restriction of trade on the individual if you didn’t allow people without a contract a route to get one.

one of the many legalities of the Bosman ruling and subsequent transfer windows etc

50 minutes ago, jwclark2342 said:

I’m curious.  Regardless of FFP, would you rather spend money like Chelsea or ManU this summer?  Personally I’m very happy with our direction.  Please feel free to move this post if it isn’t in the correct topic.

There's been something wild, reactive and a bit amateurish about Chelsea's spending in particular. It's like they're in for any big name that's available. In the end, the disruption that it all causes is likely to cancel out any gains from the individual talents that they've brought in, and they'll be no further on.

I often think back to the time when Fergie took over Man Utd - a huge club, with huge expectations but they hadn't won the league in about 25 years. In 1991-92, they came very close to winning it, but were just pipped by Leeds. Afterwards, who did Fergie buy in the summer? - No-one. He gave the message to the squad that they were good enough. A few months into the season, he bought Cantona, and they went on to be Champions, but sometimes not doing anything takes more courage than splashing out. Fergie had his eye on the bigger picture. 

So yes, I prefer our way of going about things. Eddie is building a good, solid, team spirit and identity and any signings have to fit in with that development. A fan in the boardroom, like Shepherd, can easily do more harm than good with misplaced enthusiasm.

Yeah ideally we'd have half a dozen of our first team squad be similar to where Anderson is now in terms of their level as prospects.

Sign young players before they become stars, occasionally splash the cash on a big name we see someone who can really make a difference.