Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

So how do we solve that for the first team?

Well, a lot of the time going forward, we're going to be against sides where we can likely get a good grip of possession. There's only about 5 teams I'd not be confident of that. It's those games you need a Sangare-esque type of player to step in and push Bruno up, or be a sub option to do this where we're against the run of play/under the cosh.

1 hour ago, Whitley mag said:

Mark Douglas a while back said we we’re keeping an eye on Mudryk, I certainly wouldn’t rule it out.

Mark Douglas just talks up wonderkids and young players. I guarantee he will link us to Kvaradona soon.

I think we're interested in Mudryk and have an outside chance because a case can be made that we'd throw a lot at signing young players with a view to the future given our recent transfer market activity. Being more shrewd with older players to blend in with them.

Happy enough with it just being plausible.

I think we could do with a DM who has pace than the likes of Merino. Someone sitting at 6 with good recovery speed to cover the FB position is we get caught in transition as an example. We’re a bit ‘one geared’ defensively. Positional awareness and reading of the game are tremendous attributes but pace is something fantastic to have to resort to.

Just now, Armchair Pundit said:

Why, why do I keep reading stories about Chelsea contacting representatives of Bruno to sign him in January from us?

Because you are reading the wrong stuff.

If Bruno leaves us, it's to Real Madrid, its in 2/3 years time, its when we have qualified for the champions league and its for 130m+.

He will have a new contract before the world cup, that will shut the noise up.

3 hours ago, Lotus said:

I think we could do with a DM who has pace than the likes of Merino. Someone sitting at 6 with good recovery speed to cover the FB position is we get caught in transition as an example. We’re a bit ‘one geared’ defensively. Positional awareness and reading of the game are tremendous attributes but pace is something fantastic to have to resort to.

Couldn't agree more with this. Would love Merino, but think we lack and bit of pace in the middle, a box to box player with speed would be my first call, also. Who, leave it Dan and the boys!

6 hours ago, STM said:

Because you are reading the wrong stuff.

If Bruno leaves us, it's to Real Madrid, its in 2/3 years time, its when we have qualified for the champions league and its for 130m+.

He will have a new contract before the world cup, that will shut the noise up.

It does make sense for Chelsea to target Bruno though. He is exactly the one they badly need now as Kante is no longer Kante anymore. They need a new midfield core.

At this stage I'd hate to see Bruno play for another Premier League side.

Would be very counter-productive to sell any time soon, unless he's clamouring for the move and being a general nuisance, a la Cabaye. The team should be built around him, Botman and Isak for the next 5 years at least, with Bruno sailing off into the sunset after our first cup win / Champs League qualification at the age of 32/33.

9 hours ago, Armchair Pundit said:

Why, why do I keep reading stories about Chelsea contacting representatives of Bruno to sign him in January from us?

All the world's top teams will be and are interested in signing him for huge money all of the time.

We will not sell him, why would we?

He does not want to move and . . er . . we don't need the money !!

Stories will always persist.

The January window might be more busy than usual, coming soon after the World Cup, where a lot of players will be on display. However, it can be risky, with judging players on only a few games.

As for Bruno, I can't see him wanting to leave, so soon after the birth of his son, and with things going so well for him at the moment. Longer term, if we get a silly offer, and he decides he wants to go, then let's be pragmatic and cash in. I'm assuming we'll be abiding by FFP, and that will be a consideration.

He's been great for us, but I actually think £40m was the right market price for him. One has to bear in mind the Howe-factor. He is making all our players play above themselves, and Bruno is no exception. Eddie can do the same for any replacement coming in.

It comes to the stage where I barely know what our first choice 11 is, let alone which area is a priority.

I'm so used to having a glaring weakness in the first team, now that simply doesn't exist. The only weakness I see is that once we have injuries our options from the squad ranks are poor but when the likes of Jacob Murphy come in and we still win, you have to scratch your head.

The only thing I could say with certainty is that we lack a creative ball player in the final third.

I don't see the problem being him leaving. He seems happy and we're going places. The problem will be his agent using this interest to demand a massive new contract which completely shatters our wage bill structure. He'll want top 4 wages and why not because that's what he'd get at these clubs. We'll have to pay it to keep him, and that then has a domino effect through the squad. It was inevitably going to happen, but we maybe didn't expect one of our signings to be this good so early on. 

1 hour ago, Cronky said:

The January window might be more busy than usual, coming soon after the World Cup, where a lot of players will be on display. However, it can be risky, with judging players on only a few games.

Granted we used to scout players by watching YouTube videos or getting texts from a dodgy South American agent but I'd like to think we're beyong buying players after judging them on only a few games 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

As good as he is we can firmly and nicely tell him that he's under contract for ages. In a year or so we can maybe see how the wage structure has changed and what can be done for him. 

For now I wouldn't necessarily make any changes.

The whole thing is probably clickbait anyway. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

10 minutes ago, ohmelads said:

I don't see the problem being him leaving. He seems happy and we're going places. The problem will be his agent using this interest to demand a massive new contract which completely shatters our wage bill structure. He'll want top 4 wages and why not because that's what he'd get at these clubs. We'll have to pay it to keep him, and that then has a domino effect through the squad. It was inevitably going to happen, but we maybe didn't expect one of our signings to be this good so early on. 

Good point. Hopefully we'll be able to operate more like a Liverpool rather than a Manchester United with regards to wages.

Liverpool have their wage structure and they stuck to it for as long as they possibly could. Until Salah and Mane were (rightfully) demanding wages that they would get at clubs like Real Madrid. Liverpool then had to make a choice to sell Mane in order to give Salah that massive contract. 

Salah hasn't been on the best form since his new contract, also I remember when Aubameyang was on fire and signed a massive contract with Arsenal, then his form just completely fell off a cliff. I wonder if it could be anything to do with players losing motivation after signing these insane contracts?

58 minutes ago, ohmelads said:

I'm not sure I agree. If he was a new signing and immediately was given double the next most paid player, perhaps that would raise eyebrows.

Put yourself in the shoes of Wilson, Trippier, Shelvey and maybe even ASM. Give them the choice of keeping Bruno but him being the highest paid player, or losing him because you couldn't handle someone earning more than you, what do you?

I've said this before and I will say it again, any player who looks at Bruno on 200k a week (currently on 100kish) and thinks "that's not fair" wants to be launched into the moon.

He's clearly our best player, clearly our star man, clearly where we want to be as a club. You want the same wages? Go and earn it.

With all that said, I'd have no issue with Botman joining him in years time, provided he continues his form but again, it has to come through merit, not jealousy.

Exactly. ‘Breaking the wage structure’ is going to happen and it strikes me that this is the exact way it should. An internal figure achieving it completely on merit. It seems to fit in exactly with the careful and methodical approach we’re going with, and of course then makes it easier to justify when buying others. 

4 minutes ago, STM said:

I'm not sure I agree. If he was a new signing and immediately was given double the next most paid player, perhaps that would raise eyebrows.

Put yourself in the shoes of Wilson, Trippier, Shelvey and maybe even ASM. Give them the choice of keeping Bruno but him being the highest paid player, or losing him because you couldn't handle someone earning more than you, what do you?

I've said this before and I will say it again, any player who looks at Bruno on 200k a week (currently on 100kish) and thinks "that's not fair" wants to be launched into the moon.

He's clearly our best player, clearly our star man, clearly where we want to be as a club. You want the same wages? Go and earn it.

With all that said, I'd have no issue with Botman joining him in years time, provided he continues his form but again, it has to come through merit, not jealousy.

Wouldn’t be putting Shelvey in the same sentence as the others you mentioned there tbh.

13 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Wouldn’t be putting Shelvey in the same sentence as the others you mentioned there tbh.

Yeah sorry, I didn't so much mean by standard as much senior members of the squad.