Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

42 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Whilst I don't think anyone involved in our ownership are anything but "all in" & keen for us to progress their "3-5 years" caveat wasn't just to temper our enthusiasm. 

It's not rocket science to know that playing in Europe, as well as domestic comps, puts huge pressure on a squad. 

Even more so when you NEED to be consistently successful in all of them. 

Even more so again when your DNA is to run the fucking arse off yourselves both in training AND on the matchday. 

There's an arguement for not getting into Europe. 

I wouldn't make it like but its there.

I think it's sound tbh. It's maybe not exciting but it's the pragmatic option.

Lots of starting XI and squad contracts expiring in the next 2 years. What they do between windows w/r/t handling these will probably give us a good indication of their intended speed -

Contracts ending 2023 - Dummett, Shelvey, Ritchie, Clark, M. Longstaff

Contracts ending 2024  - Trippier, Schar, Lascelles, Wilson, Manquillo, Wood, Almiron, Burn, Kraft 

33 minutes ago, thomas said:

Lots of starting XI and squad contracts expiring in the next 2 years. What they do between windows w/r/t handling these will probably give us a good indication of their intended speed -

Contracts ending 2024  - Trippier, Schar, Lascelles, Wilson, Manquillo, Wood, Almiron, Burn, Kraft 

Looking at those 2023 contracts - I think Shelvey has an extension to 2024 linked to playing a certain number of games. Can't remember the details but it wasn't many. The others have barely played a minute between them and must be costing £100k-£150k/week.

1 minute ago, Keegans Export said:

Looking at those 2023 contracts - I think Shelvey has an extension to 2024 linked to playing a certain number of games. Can't remember the details but it wasn't many. The others have barely played a minute between them and must be costing £100k-£150k/week.

Believe he said it was 3 more games (not sure it that's tied to a certain number of mins per game to count) he needed to get the extension in the Summer. Handy as, out of those 5 2023 expiries he would be the only one I can see being part of the squad for another year or 2. 

1 minute ago, sushimonster85 said:

Believe he said it was 3 more games (not sure it that's tied to a certain number of mins per game to count) he needed to get the extension in the Summer. Handy as, out of those 5 2023 expiries he would be the only one I can see being part of the squad for another year or 2. 

According to .com he will trigger an automatic extension if he plays on Sunday as he will then reach 200 appearances for the club.

9 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

Aye there's a few that are automatically binnable, but am curious to see how we handle the rest.

Mental that anyone still doesn't rate Shelvey. Especially after how much praise Howe has given him since he came here.

He's going to be class for us when we are playing some European no marks and we need to rest Bruno.

13 minutes ago, STM said:

Mental that anyone still doesn't rate Shelvey. Especially after how much praise Howe has given him since he came here.

He's going to be class for us when we are playing some European no marks and we need to rest Bruno.

Think it's more he's an Ashley era signing that has been around and been apart for a chunk of turd level results. Including looking not arsed for huge periods. 

Can forgive those that will look to see him leave as part of the clearing out and moving on situation we are in. 

Still he does a job and as long as he's happy being where he is as a squad player there are certainly other players I would rather go first. 

2 hours ago, nufcjmc said:

Think it's more he's an Ashley era signing that has been around and been apart for a chunk of turd level results. Including looking not arsed for huge periods. 

Can forgive those that will look to see him leave as part of the clearing out and moving on situation we are in. 

Still he does a job and as long as he's happy being where he is as a squad player there are certainly other players I would rather go first. 

Same could be said for Joelinton and Almiron until recently. Jonjo has done really well for Howe until he got injured, so I 100% expect him to be around for a few years yet. He’s easily good enough as a squad player.

4 hours ago, thomas said:

We have options on Trippier & Almiron to extend for a year. I'd hope Wilson as well but not sure.

12 hours ago, Unbelievable said:

Same could be said for Joelinton and Almiron until recently. Jonjo has done really well for Howe until he got injured, so I 100% expect him to be around for a few years yet. He’s easily good enough as a squad player.

Exactly this. He was keeping Bruno out of the squad with his performances from January onwards. Also started the 8 game (I think) unbeaten run with the crucial win against Leeds and definitely deserves it on merit.

Hate to say it as he has been a loyal servant but Ritchie should have been sold ages ago. Remember when Miggy was played alongside him on the left and just never seemed to pass to him when he made all those runs. Complete opposite to now alongside Tripps and Bruno, who both trust him and release the ball instantly. Obviously knocked a lot of confidence out of him. 

5 hours ago, ToonScotman said:

Read on Twitter we had a scout at the Gladbach vs Stuttgart game last night.

Watched an hour of it myself. May have been an outlier performance wise but he was pretty poor from what I saw. Especially in key defensive moments.

From the DM position he let players run off of him and made minimal effort to recover.

When is possession and building from the back he often went to the left (clearly tactical). Once BM lost the ball on the half way line and worked a man overload towards BM’s right back. Kone just casually jogged over and the attack went on without him making the slightest effort to help out.

In fact, I didn’t see him sprint once in the hour I watched. He mostly walked and sometimes jogged. Often didn’t show for the ball and certainly no effort to retrieve it.

Given he’s built a reputation this must have been a very below par performance from him. 
Odd to see a young player just walking around in such a close game (it was 2-1 when I had to leave). Was a very good game though, cracking goals from both teams.

6 hours ago, toon25 said:

I'd offer Maddison whatever he wanted within the remit of what's possible (FFP and wage structure). He'd add something special to this team.

He’d definitely add another level for sure. Don’t see why he couldn’t float where Willock plays at the moment but obviously with more attacking emphasis. Could probably playing either side of a striker too but not as a winger obviously. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie