Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

I think a new left-back is inevitable like. Seems pretty clear that Targett isn't really the one he wanted. 

Imagine we had the ability to do the 'three defenders with one full-back joining the midfield' thing on both sides of the pitch. So, to begin with, Trippier is that additional winger and the LB (atm Burn) becomes a third CB... then, five minutes later, the LB is the additional winger and Trippier becomes a third CB. Constantly oscillating the focus between left-wing and right-wing.

We'd be unstoppable. 

I’m not sure if Targett isn’t fancied it this 3 CB thing with Burn has just cropped up and work well. 

Signing a new attacking LB doesn’t really fit either. 

Edit: although what Yorkie said could be the way. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

I think a new left-back is inevitable like. Seems pretty clear that Targett isn't really the one he wanted. 

Imagine we had the ability to do the 'three defenders with one full-back joining the midfield' thing on both sides of the pitch. So, to begin with, Trippier is that additional winger and the LB (atm Burn) becomes a third CB... then, five minutes later, the LB is the additional winger and Trippier becomes a third CB. Constantly oscillating the focus between left-wing and right-wing.

We'd be unstoppable. 

Will be unstoppable O0

4 hours ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

I really, really want Perrone this window. I don't think he'll come in and be an instant starter but it's competition for Shelvey and is another reason to move Bruno into the #8 slot. 

I cant see him not coming tbh, unless we're after another deeper CM that they've managed to keep out the media. Its been made quite clear that Bruno playing where he is currently is a stop gap until we can get someone in for that role. He's very publicly said he'd prefer to play further up too, I imagine we'll honour that. For his benefit and ours. 

Imagine that's where our "third defender" would come from too, if we're looking to get more joy from both fullback positions. 

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

Guest reefatoon
9 minutes ago, Stottie said:

I think a lopsided formation with a defensive LB works if we have ASM at left forward.

It’s worked fine so far without ASM playing. It has us third.

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

We'd be unstoppable. 

Very interesting idea.

You could also reverse it with new attacking fullback on the left playing the Trips role (if he's out) and then Burn, Botman and Schar just rotate over and Schar is the "RB" in the Burn-role OR a new RCB/RB is signed (with some pace) and its new LB, Botman, Schar, new RB/RCB hybrid.

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

We'd be unstoppable. 

I think the plan was for Targett to cover for ASMs defensive liabilities, but ASM has either been injured or isn't a much of a key player as we thought/offer much tactical flexibility.

7 minutes ago, TRC said:

I think the plan was for Targett to cover for ASMs defensive liabilities, but ASM has either been injured or isn't a much of a key player as we thought/offer much tactical flexibility.

I believe we’ll see more of Targett once ASM works his way back into the team. 

Do think after teasing this approach for the past two windows, this will finally be the 'conservative' window, before another big push in the Summer. Mentioned it earlier, but only potential high profile signing I could see is maybe Marcus Thuram, who's contract situation (expires in the Summer) means the price may not be prohibitive.

Do think we will get some young'uns in for Eddie and team to develop. Harrison Ashby seems nailed on. Been a lot of noise round that Argentinian kid as well.

2 hours ago, sushimonster85 said:

Do think after teasing this approach for the past two windows, this will finally be the 'conservative' window, before another big push in the Summer. Mentioned it earlier, but only potential high profile signing I could see is maybe Marcus Thuram, who's contract situation (expires in the Summer) means the price may not be prohibitive.

Do think we will get some young'uns in for Eddie and team to develop. Harrison Ashby seems nailed on. Been a lot of noise round that Argentinian kid as well.

Anyone know anything about this Thuram or seen him play?

Stavely has spoken previously about how difficult it is to do business in January, due to inflated prices, etc. She said in an ideal world a bulk of the business would be done in the summer, but last January was a necessity.

I think unless a deal presents itself that is too good to be true (for example, say Chelsea over us Pulisic at a cut price), we won't see loads of action on the first team front. The good news is going forward we can cherry pick regardless.

It's hard to say really. Of course January transfers are sometimes harder, but we have loads of money. And we're in a position that (I guess) the club never predicted.

Are they going to try and seize a CL place right now, or continue with something closer to the original plan? 

Also possible they already have a plan for both scenarios of course.

18 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Stavely has spoken previously about how difficult it is to do business in January, due to inflated prices, etc. She said in an ideal world a bulk of the business would be done in the summer, but last January was a necessity.

I think unless a deal presents itself that is too good to be true (for example, say Chelsea over us Pulisic at a cut price), we won't see loads of action on the first team front. The good news is going forward we can cherry pick regardless.

Big difference is there is a possibility of getting champions league football, which increases the revenue coming into the club by a significant amount. I agree the deal has to be right, but I think they will be pushing to make those deal(s) as it's a massive opportunity. 

Something something kick on, something something missed opportunity something. James Maddison something James Maddison something. Loads of money something something missed opportunity cry cry cry. 

Reckon we'll be fine no matter what happens.

5 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Reckon we'll be fine no matter what happens.

Ultimately this. I think the ownership would see CL this season as a huge bonus, and one they then may build on in the Summer, but not something they're going to break the bank (or FFP) on in Jan, even with 50/50 odds. As others have said, it's looking increasingly likely we will be involved in some form of European football next season, I think full planning for that will begin as we get into March and have a better idea of where we may end up. 

Predicting now we won't spend more that £25m in Jan.