Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

We're one injury away from having to dip into a poor group of bench players. The step down from Botman/Schar to Lascelles is significant, Trippier to Manquillo is not a nice prospect and any scenario where we're relying on Murphy doesn't bear thinking about. We need more strength in depth as we get into the second half of the season or we risk not capitalising on our great start. 

2 hours ago, Ikon said:

A quality signing or two with the right mentality and character won’t harm the squad harmony at all. If anything it will give a boost and belief to the whole club and its fan base that we can do even better, or at least help us to maintain our momentum. Some of the fringe players or the players that are about to become fringe players know that there’s ambition and that we are looking to improve all the time. This doesn’t mean that we should sign players for the sake of it. Players want the team and club to get better and better. It’s not school yard football, it’s at the very highest level where the winners want more and more improvement both individually and as a whole collectively. The club will improve if there’s the right deal to do and rightly so. It’s a whole different scenario doing it the circus style like Chelsea. But we aren’t that thankfully. We are more likely to get bad “squad harmony” if we get some injuries to key players and start suffering result wise. Winning is what keeps squads motivated and happy. Competition shouldn’t be a cause of concern. 

Harmony can obviously be maintained while signing players, however it may narrow down the options we can look at because the wage structure for the kind of players people are expecting now is on the lower end. We can’t go signing 18/19 year olds on 150k a week because footballers have fragile egos and it would be a risk to the dressing room, I actually think where we are right now could make things tricky (although it does open up more options) because bringing in new first teamers and dropping a player that has played well enough that we are 3rd in the league has a good chance that it doesn’t go down to well. Competition is good yes but these players seem a tight group and I think management will be very careful about who they replace especially in January. As always there’s a balance to be had and fortunately for us the management have shown that they know what they are doing so any move they make we can all have faith in.

Edited by Nine

59 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Very interesting has anyone watched the whole video? Who's the CB he recommended?

Lacrouix (sp) - the tall Wolfsburg CB

He ends up recommending Skriniar

i would also look at Todibo as an option 

40 minutes ago, morpeth mag said:

He failed to consider playing Bruno as the 8 and bringing in a 6

If we bring in a 6 - it has to be a Rodri type - quick on the ball - constantly passing forward - not side to side or backwards like Declan Rice

Tifo's great and maybe I'm being a pedant, but they often get little things wrong with us. 

Willock and Longstaff the wrong way around, Shelvey being a back up 6 despite being injured, having Isak ahead of Wilson. Again maybe I'm being too picky, but I guess you notice this stuff when it's about the team you know inside out. 

Personally I've gone from wondering how Maddison would fit in, to thinking he's exactly what we need. Bruno can do it, but an AM who can score and unlock against teams that sit back would be ideal.

Edited by Kid Icarus

8 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Tifo's great and maybe I'm being a pedant, but they often get little things wrong with us. 

Willock and Longstaff the wrong way around, Shelvey being a back up 6 despite being injured, having Isak ahead of Wilson. Again maybe I'm being too picky, but I guess you notice this stuff when it's about the team you know inside out. 

Was just about the post the same thing, it’s really annoying because they say a lot of good things but those things give the game away a little. They obviously base a lot of what they say around data and cultural osmosis rather than actually watching a lot of what they’re talking about (which would be very hard to do tbf).

There must be 1-2 new players in January. Will most likely be the European Cup next year. The quality of the squad is too poor to play 2 games a week regularly. Then 3-4 players will probably be sold in the summer. Can't get into a situation where «10» new players are to be bought this summer.

1 hour ago, Manxst said:

Seriously? I was really underwhelmed whilst he was at Spurs. Has he improved being away on loan? 

I always thought he had something at Spurs but it never clicked. The game I saw him play last season he looked quality and from what I’ve read he’s been really highly regarded. 

2 hours ago, Holmesy said:

We're one injury away from having to dip into a poor group of bench players. The step down from Botman/Schar to Lascelles is significant, Trippier to Manquillo is not a nice prospect and any scenario where we're relying on Murphy doesn't bear thinking about. We need more strength in depth as we get into the second half of the season or we risk not capitalising on our great start. 

This is another reason I want Tielemans. I think you can get by with people like Manquillo and Lascelles for the odd spell as long as we have 8-9 other first choice players, but when we missed Bruno the creativity went completely. If you have Tielemans the deeper of the three midfielders you can still bring in the likes of Longstaff for Bruno when he's a bit further forward, and still have that bit of creativity in the middle when he's out.

3 hours ago, morpeth mag said:

He failed to consider playing Bruno as the 8 and bringing in a 6

I don't see an 8 as a need. We have Willock and big Joe, Bruno can do it and seemingly wants to do it, and we could even drop Almiron in there too in a crisis. Tielemans as a Longstaff upgrade and kind of Bruno cover makes more sense for the way we play.

The winger cover Tifo lists is so weak that that has to be a priority. Who plays if Almiron gets injured? With Wood misfiring, the dream is a forward who can play anywhere in the front three. We'll be aiming to go deep in multiple competitions next season, so we need depth.

Schar will need replacing in a season or two, but Tifo's video also didn't mention us relying on Trippier as a playmaker. This is a much bigger age-based vulnerability going forward.