Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

19 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Be stunned if we made any more signings now (Ashby aside). While I know Shelvey has hardly played this season, and I think it's probably right to let him go, we're still very light in midfield and it seems a bit of a risk to continue the rest of the season with such little depth there.

Ashby for 3m is brilliant and allows us to let some more go.  Really like he learning under Trippier and resting him some too.  It would have been nice to get a midfielder, but we may not have the room right now, and Gordon has played CM quite a bit.  

Just now, toon25 said:

I still think we're an injury away to Bruno or Schar/Botman from dropping out of the top 6.

I think we’ll make top six even with a key injury but top four basically requires that all our best players remain fit until the end of the season, which is very unlikely 

Listening to Eddie's full presser it is certainly a case of the Jonjo move being a surprise and not something Howe wanted or planned for. So it will absolutely depend on who is or isn't available vs who is on our list that the team want to bring here. 

Seems more on the unlikely side but fingers crossed for the opposite!

Edited by toontownman

It's not the Ashley years and I've got faith that we are trying.

I'm sure we will either try to buy a one that fits our long term plan or look to loan a player who will provide cover for now.

If we don't... how many games has Shelvey played this year, 3…?

And we now have Gordon to allow a cm to be pushed back into the centre.

6 minutes ago, toon25 said:

I still think we're an injury away to Bruno or Schar/Botman from dropping out of the top 6.

Yes, that’s my feeling as well.  I think Burn/Botman or Schar/Burn isn’t an absolute disaster, but we don’t have Targett. So then that’s  Lewis in.  If Trippier goes down it’s Ashby or Manquillo. Think we could/would drop from the top 4.

Losing Bruno would be an absolute disaster. That could see us drop from top 6, in my opinion.

40 minutes ago, Alberto2005 said:

What's people's gut feeling on getting a midfielder? I'm unsure because of our policy but I'd say we'll get something done as we're ridiculously short.

It's hard to say but it wouldn't surprise me if we sign someone we weren't expecting. Just like Shelvey's departure came out of the blue, a lot can happen in the last 24 hours. 

My concern is that, other than Bruno, there is no one at the club that can play the deepest of the 3 mids in our current formation. Longstaff has before but the only time he looks of any use is further forward in his new high press position he has done this year. Each time he played deep in the cups he looked awful I thought. 

So I was convinced a DM was going to be  number 1 priority this window.

The fact we are letting Shelvey go just before he returns from injury seems like we are tempting fate. 

I know the club have their policy it seems but I wouldn't mind a stop gap body just to boost the numbers through til the summer. A loan would be ideal if we could land someone half decent.

Edited by alexf

If we do suffer injuries we could revert to a 2 man midfield like we saw at the end of the Fulham game with Isak/Gordon in the 10 role. 

if we have no one to sit deep then we could even revert to the 5 at the back from last year, lessens the need for a DM and can go with 2 CMs

not ideal but we do have flexibility in the squad now