Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

A bit light in midfield currently but perhaps Howe’s thinking if we pick up an injury there we go 4-4-1-1 with Isak behind Wilson and require one less CM. Obviously worse case scenario is a bruno injury but I feel Longstaff and Joelinton could do a job as the 2 in this system (if required). Of course it’s a gamble but so is paying over the odds now for a CM they don’t want long term.

Just now, McCormick said:

We’ll try to get Gallagher but Chelsea will no doubt be dicks about it. That’ll be our deadline day.

I don’t think Chelsea will dick us around. It’s been reported AS and Todd Boehly have a very good relationship. 

3 minutes ago, BoSelecta said:

A bit light in midfield currently but perhaps Howe’s thinking if we pick up an injury there we go 4-4-1-1 with Isak behind Wilson and require one less CM. Obviously worse case scenario is a bruno injury but I feel Longstaff and Joelinton could do a job as the 2 in this system (if required). Of course it’s a gamble but so is paying over the odds now for a CM they don’t want long term.

They won’t pay over the odds, or buy anybody they don’t want long term. Buy, loan to buy or nobody if it doesn’t fit the framework. 

30 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

The likelihood is that they know exactly who they want (1 or two top targets) as the new number 6 but probably can’t get them until summer as 6s are hot property currently and clubs unwilling to sell in January. I still think Gallagher would do very well here and would be a great addition to the midfield just not the 6 we need. If Martinez signs you wonder how much opportunity he’ll get moving forwards even though they’re slightly different players. I guess it’s whether Gallagher wants to join if he’s told by Chelsea he can leave and whether he’s one of Howes top targets. I guess we also may see a loan to buy option from the continent but it’s cutting things close now.

The spoilt brat nufc fans on Twitter is ridiculous at the moment “I want Maddison blah blah”, I want this that “the windows been a disgrace”. Christ some have short memories where we’ve come from.

They’ve spent the last 18 months telling themselves this is Man City Mk II and we’re going to spend billions.  The walls of reality are crashing in hard.  The rest of us who expected competence and considered investment are thoroughly enjoying it all. 

Just now, McCormick said:

Reckon we’ll try (and fail) to get Rice in the summer.

Really? What makes you think that? I think he’d be a great fit for Howe but I think we’d think he was out of our reach financially and I don’t think we’d be near the top of the list of teams he’d want to go to

I expect us to have a nibble at getting someone's CM, but that it may well fail due to overcharging based on Jan window, us being Saudi backed NUFC, and us being Top 4 rival NUFC (for Chelsea in particular). Our lot keep stressing that we won't overpay.

I see Gordon as a two-footed version of Miggy, and he eases the route to 4-2-3-1. If two of the front four can press that hard, then you don't need 3 in midfield. Not against every opposition anyway.

Completely relaxed about today. Gordon, Ashby and Kuol is good business and we've shipped out two players for fees who were never going to be part of the long-term plan given their ages. If another deal comes up then wonderful, if not then that's more dry powder for the Summer. 

22 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

I feel there may be an attempt. There is movement in the CM space. Fernandez to Chelsea, Caicedo to Arsenal now seems on. Domino effect could lead to movement on Gallagher now Chelsea can't rely on offloading Jorginho to Arsenal to make squad space.

Looking forward to listening to how things have unfolded on journey home tonight. 

Latest Newcastle United update by Luke Edwards

Newcastle United will make a final enquiry over the availability of Chelsea’s young England international Conor Gallagher on deadline day but fear the London club will continue to make the deal too expensive.

Chelsea are unwilling to loan the 22-year-old to Newcastle as they see them as a direct rival for European qualification and have also put them off a permanent deal with an asking price well in excess of £50m.

The Magpies have contemplated a permanent move as Gallagher is a long-standing target and they will move for him again in the summer. If a transfer was paid for now it would simply be a case of bringing forward more of next season’s budget.

But sources have told Telegraph Sport that a deal is unlikely at this stage because it would be too expensive. The Newcastle hierarchy also believe they are being asked for more money than other clubs because Chelsea are so reluctant to do business.

1 minute ago, Rich said:

Latest Newcastle United update by Luke Edwards

Newcastle United will make a final enquiry over the availability of Chelsea’s young England international Conor Gallagher on deadline day but fear the London club will continue to make the deal too expensive.

Chelsea are unwilling to loan the 22-year-old to Newcastle as they see them as a direct rival for European qualification and have also put them off a permanent deal with an asking price well in excess of £50m.

The Magpies have contemplated a permanent move as Gallagher is a long-standing target and they will move for him again in the summer. If a transfer was paid for now it would simply be a case of bringing forward more of next season’s budget.

But sources have told Telegraph Sport that a deal is unlikely at this stage because it would be too expensive. The Newcastle hierarchy also believe they are being asked for more money than other clubs because Chelsea are so reluctant to do business.

50m

Im sure they aren’t demanding that for him. 

There's very few teams who can afford to go to £40M for Gallagher & their new transfer model seems to be reliant on selling HG players in order to offset the mad spending for FFP. If they don't get Champions League money next season they'll potentially be forced to sell him for a lot less than they're asking now.

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

50m

Im sure they aren’t demanding that for him. 

Year older than Gordon and a better pedigree in the league, full England international. Isn’t that outrageous, really. For all that I don’t think he is worth that for us at this time. 

Just now, Lush Vlad said:

Year older than Gordon and a better pedigree in the league, full England international. Isn’t that outrageous, really. For all that I don’t think he is worth that for us at this time. 

Opposite of Wood's transfer in that that weakened a rival, buying Gallacher would perversely strengthen Chelsea. (Financialy for FFP)

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

We kind of set that price when buying Gordon for 40-45.

We might just have but I also think it will cause resistance on our side as well. 

Especially if they are hawking him to other clubs at a cheaper price. 

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I’d say Gordon and Gallagher have about the same pedigree TBH. Gallagher has that one good loan spell at Palace but still a lot to prove. 

He was canny at WBA too, tbf, and was in the World Cup squad. He’s also not on strike.