Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

2 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Don’t see too many on here that would disagree with this to be honest. 

Not saying this in reply to you. However sometimes it feels like some on here try to defend something at times, when there isn’t really anything to defend against to begin with. Regarding what the club or Howe doesn’t or does do. Not too many but every now and then I see some go into “defence” mode when there isn’t an attack going on.

Absolutely mate. Wasn't defending anyone and I agree most on this forum probably agree. I think what I'm trying to say is for the first time in years in not actually stressed? 

I'm too busy shitting myself over this 2nd leg, to be fair.

We've had countless January windows before where we've needed players or we're down. 

Last year was the same. I'm just relieved as fuck not to NEED a player before the deadline. It's more luxury, than anything.

That said, if they unveil JM before 11 I'll be jumping around like a school kid.

9 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

I doubt Howe is doing any transfer business, but equally I doubt Ashworth is doing much prep for the match tonight. The two things are entirely separate and with separate personnel dealing with them.

What a smart arse reply. 

I'd only assume Ashworth, the owners, most hierarchy will be attending one of our most important home matches in years?

Simply all I was getting at.

I'm sure it's not just simply down to Ashworth to deal with signings, we still signed players before he came to us, but i get your cocky reply [emoji38]

Edited by mighty__mag

I don't think we'll get another midfielder. My best guess is it's a combination of factors;

1. The player (or players) we really want aren't going to be available until the summer

2. Eddie will be happy enough to rotate Bruno/Willock/Longstaff/Joelinton seeing as we will have at most one extra fixture between now and the end of the season

3. We might end up switching to a 4-2-3-1 at times and play two of the four above rather than three, allowing for more rest/rotation

4. Eddie has enough faith in Anderson to be the 5th CM 

2 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

I don't think we'll get another midfielder. My best guess is it's a combination of factors;

1. The player (or players) we really want aren't going to be available until the summer

2. Eddie will be happy enough to rotate Bruno/Willock/Longstaff/Joelinton seeing as we will have at most one extra fixture between now and the end of the season

3. We might end up switching to a 4-2-3-1 at times and play two of the four above rather than three, allowing for more rest/rotation

4. Eddie has enough faith in Anderson to be the 5th CM 

In my opinion that's fine. It would be scary if Bruno got injured but I don't think any CM that's available for us to sign right now would change that.

With Jorginho to Arsenal thats us over and out I think. 

A few worries about squad depth. Would have liked another midfielder but hopefully we'll be alright. 

Think we'll regret it if we start to tail off towards the end of the season. All the teams around us have a squad which they can rotate. We're gonna have the same midfielders starting week in, week out with maybe one option to come off the bench if everyone is fit. Big chance to qualify for the CL bringing in that sweet, much needed revenue. Would be an opportunity missed, especially given how hard it will be next season. 

Edited by Doctor Zaius

28 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

I don't think it can ever be as simple as "player X has a better pedigree so should cost more" because no two deals are the same. Different contract situations, different player happiness, different selling club, different level of need for that player, just so many variables.

Yes and no.  

He has 2.5 years left on his contract. He’s 22 and an international. He has a certain market value. That can go up and down based on other variables. 

14 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

What a smart arse reply. 

I'd only assume Ashworth, the owners, most hierarchy will be attending one of our most important home matches in years?

Simply all I was getting at.

I'm sure it's not just simply down to Ashworth to deal with signings, we still signed players before he came to us, but i get your cocky reply [emoji38]

Ashworth will know who we want, those discussions will have been had long before now. He'll be able to do that business irrespective of a match being played tonight. 

If he needs permission for anything, the owners will be available on the phone. The window also doesn't close until after the match finishes.

To suggest the match tonight will impact our ability to do business is misplaced. We are a professionally run multi million pound organisation and we have enough staff in key areas to cope with doing 2 things at once.

Just now, Keegans Export said:

What if the choice is Gallagher now or Maddison in the summer?

Obviously I'm sure it's not that simple but I bet similar discussions are being had at the club.

Maddison isn’t a CM. He’s a 10 who can play on the wings or 8. 

Qualifying for the CL will dictate transfers more than anything else.  

As of now. We are light in midfield as we enter a top 4 fight. Maybe we will sign someone, maybe we won’t.  Maybe it will be a pivotal decision, maybe it will not. 

Just now, The College Dropout said:

Maddison isn’t a CM. He’s a 10 who can play on the wings or 8. 

Qualifying for the CL will dictate transfers more than anything else.  

As of now. We are light in midfield as we enter a top 4 fight. Maybe we will sign someone, maybe we won’t.  Maybe it will be a pivotal decision, maybe it will not. 

Wear Sunscreen.

The gamble is not splashing out on players that would possibly be below our target level should we get into the Champions League now.

If we do get into the Champions League, job well done and we can go for our higher targets.  If we miss out we're probably still ahead on our roadmap (particularly if we finish 5th/6th) but it's an opportunity missed imo.

51 minutes ago, BlazeT44 said:

As fans, let's be honest we know fuck all. 

The club is water tight and journalists are often wrong.

We don't know who we've bid for.

We don't know how much.

We don't know who's rejected us (club or player).

We aren't part of agent discussions.

We don't know how limited we are by FFP.

We don't know specific numbers.

The only thing I know, is that I'm confident that this board will do everything they can to progress. They've earned that trust. 

That will do me. If we get someone else in, great. If not, we'll be active in windows to come. 

You’re spoiling all the fun.