Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

Did seem like it was heading this way with us being done after Ashby and hearing Eddie's comments. We were absolutely dependent on someone on our long term list becoming available today at the right price or on loan.

Still might pull something out of the hat but looks unlikely. 

Three exciting additions though. Four if we count the GK situation. We know our ownership is in this for the long term and doing this the methodical way. 

2 minutes ago, mosstef said:

Isn't he playing quite regularly for PSG lately?

3 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

What could have been interesting is going back in for Hugo Ekitike, just on loan with no buy option, to cover for Wood's departure until the end of the season. 

That guy owes us, third time lucky and he'll still probably get more time here than he would at PSG

I think he's on loan there this year aswell right? Loan with option/obligation.

Since European football looks nailed on for next season, it would be good to start bedding in a CM now. If FFP is what it is though, maybe it can't be helped for the standard of player they want to bring in.

Before the season started, there was still suspicion that Joelinton was not disciplined enough, with the ball or fouls, to play in a double pivot, but I think he's proved that wrong. If he can, that would give us three CMs who can play in a two with various options at #10, or the four who can play in our current three. Gordon left, Miggy right would let us play both strikers and still be defensively strong.

One positive is that after tonight we currently only have two more midweek games this season scheduled. So I don't think we'll need to rotate the team that much.

Everton away on Tuesday April 25th. West Ham away not set yet.

Obviously if we make the final of the cup the Brighton game will have to be moved too but that's about it.

Fifth round of FA Cup will be played midweek, won't affect us.

Weekend of sixth round we play Forrest, who are out already.

Only other potential move is the weekend of the semi final we are scheduled to play Spurs. If they're still in the cup that game will be moved but it's the weekend of April 22nd so even if that does get moved it means a break before the aforementioned Everton away game.

Anyway, the point is that we'll have a full week break before the majority of our games for the rest of the season. 12 of our last 18 Premier League games even if we make the final. Should be able to make a good fist of it.

The issue if course is injuries. If we get a couple of long term injuries in CM it'll be very tough.

20 minutes ago, LV said:

I think this is exactly the view the club is taking. Slow and steady and considered. 

The slower we go the more ground we have to make up. I’m sure FFP hinders us somewhat though, so it may be the only route we can take unfortunately.

Overall a very solid window, obviously another CM would have been nice but offloading the likes of Wood and Shelvey who were on big wages is a bonus in itself. 

It does leave us a player light in midfield though, with Gordon coming in it means Joe can be moved back into CM which lessens the blow of being a CM short but there’s also the factor that Joe can’t cover 6.. it’s Bruno or Longstaff there only. I get the feeling the answer to a potential CM selection crisis will be to change to a 4-2-3-1 rather than play someone out of position, it’s nice that we can flexible between that and 4-3-3 with Isak able to play behind Wilson as the #10 (he’s more of a SS). Short term I think Joe will get minutes on the left until Gordon is up to speed then will be moved back into CM, all in all it’s not a disaster not to replace Shelvey. The biggest negative impact to our form is injuries to our back line or Bruno, the current success is all built off our rock solid defensive form. One or two key injuries here could really interrupt us. 

Ive loved seeing how we’ve gone about our business so far, they have a rigid structure in place for each window ahead of time and where we are in the league won’t change that. They won’t go for broke and make more signings than planned to try and cement a top 4 spot and rightly so as that comes with its own big risks. The squad is going through a long transitional slow build, each target for each in window is meticulously picked out and you can see the trend developing (young, English, physically able to play in an intense pressing side with potential to fulfill). Even if we do qualify for CL I doubt the plans change much again for the summer, in fact I’d expect they would remain exactly the same.

2 minutes ago, McCormick said:

The slower we go the more ground we have to make up. I’m sure FFP hinders us somewhat though, so it may be the only route we can take unfortunately.

Have to remember though, in terms of ground to make up, we're already ahead of schedule. Even if we 'only' get Europa League. So long as Eddie and his team keep have us performing a few levels above where these players really should be, then it buys the recruitment/commercial sides time to work. 

Just now, Dokko said:

If we could pull off a Gallagher/Franca (8/10) or Maddison (10/10) in the final hours then this would be an epic window. Imagine the buzz tonight with another big signing through the door.

Where you at now? 6?

4 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Have to remember though, in terms of ground to make up, we're already ahead of schedule. Even if we 'only' get Europa League. So long as Eddie and his team keep have us performing a few levels above where these players really should be, then it buys the recruitment/commercial sides time to work. 

Haven’t achieved anything yet - no prizes given out in january 

It's all about the risk vs reward in regards to FFP. If we wait a while we might be a CL team with a lot better quality of players available to us. If we spend it now we won't have that room in FFP in the future. That's super simplified of course.

Just now, Rich said:

Where you at now? 6?

A harsh 5. For me @The Butcher nailed it earlier.  Just don't think we've done enough coming in. Certainly not to fight for a CL place and if that's where they want to go, then this is an open goal for them and we seem to be passing up on it. They might not get a chance like this for another 3-4 seasons.

Just now, Dokko said:

A harsh 5. For me @The Butcher nailed it earlier.  Just don't think we've done enough coming in. Certainly not to fight for a CL place and if that's where they want to go, then this is an open goal for them and we seem to be passing up on it. They might not get a chance like this for another 3-4 seasons.

:thup:

Between a 5 and 6 for me, too.

3 minutes ago, Dokko said:

I can understand why fans might think we haven't done in terms of incoming. Champions League qualification is far from an open goal though, even with further reinforcements. 

Whatever you think of them as players I don't think you can consider Shelvey or Wood passengers. You can definitely argue that Wood has been replaced, but Shelvey hasn't and we were looking for a midfielder before we let him go. As things stand we're a midfield injury away from a huge drop off it quality. With Shelvey back fit the drop of was manageable. 

Bruno getting injured is a disaster no matter who we sign. No matter if we have Shelvey or we don’t.

What I’m focused on is steps in the right direction, making good moves and getting the average players out. Which they clearly are doing as fast as they’re able. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

5 out of 10 for a window where we’ve shipped out two passengers and brought in 2 really promising young players seems incredibly harsh to me, have to say :lol:

Just a touch. 

Our league position is distorting perception in my opinion. At the start of the season, if we'd have known a right back and a versatile forward were coming in six months later, we'd have been reasonably satisfied.