Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

32 minutes ago, wormy said:

Is Gallagher actually any good? I don't think I've seen him play except against us and didn't look anything special but that's obviously a very small sample.

He looked England quality at Palace, imo.

31 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Chelsea won't be playing him much anymore anyway, the player wants to leave, but they are forcing him to stay. Such shite man. 

Fucking hate Chelsea. Vile club. 

Give him Gordon’s mobile number. He’ll tell him what to do.

6 minutes ago, KDT said:

The last time Gallagher looked any good was around the same time Gordon did as well but the two are viewed very differently by our fan base.

That’s not true, Gallagher was brilliant for Palace for the full season and West Brom they year before that, Gordon had a decent few months.

Would have loved Gallagher a few seasons back when we were shit. Looked to me an explosive player with a lot of great attritubes but also seems more of a Gerard style player who comes in and out of games to make big contributions but not sure works very hard off the ball (could be wrong) and I don't think has fitted at Chelsea because of it. If I've got wrong end of stick on that apologies to the player but not greatly fussed

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

That’s not true, Gallagher was brilliant for Palace for the full season and West Brom they year before that, Gordon had a decent few months.

He started like a house on fire at Palace then only scored 2 after New Year, I just find him a bit meh really. Classic English midfielder who doesn't really do anything exceptional. I wasn't impressed with him in any of our games against them last season either, he was taken off in our home game because he got very little out of our midfield.

1 minute ago, KDT said:

He started like a house on fire at Palace then only scored 2 after New Year, I just find him a bit meh really. Classic English midfielder who doesn't really do anything exceptional. I wasn't impressed with him in any of our games against them last season either, he was taken off in our home game because he got very little out of our midfield.

Seemed like a hard working pressing midfielder at Palace. Adds to the scheme. Wouldn't necessarily need goals from him, imo.

1 minute ago, KDT said:

I remember an MotD feature on him at Palace, made him look really good then watched him next couple of games and he was poor and then against us.

Just now, BoSelecta said:

Judging players on how they play against us doesn’t work any more.

It sort of does in that if they have a decent game I probably now think he could improve us because well we're pretty good now aren't we.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

Caulkin:

"Newcastle United have been looking at potential midfield loan deals following the arrival of Anthony Gordon and Harrison Ashby this month, but at this stage any further addition looks unlikely.

Conor Gallagher has been discussed, but Chelsea view Newcastle as direct rivals for a top-four place and are not prepared to do business.

There is recognition internally that they are susceptible to injury in the centre of the pitch but with so few quality, affordable defensive midfielders on the market, they have refused to deviate from their long-term targets.

Chelsea are rolling the dice, but that is not Newcastle’s way."

This is another reason why it's ridiculous to give this window something like a 3/10. The people in charge would agree with everyone that we'd like to have another CM, but we're not going to spend more than we want on a player we don't really want just in case we hit some bad luck in the next few months. We sold Shelvey because we'd be fools not to given the situation and it may be less than ideal for half a season, but this isn't a case of not wanting to spend money or being blind to the problem. It's being committed to a sustainable (and exciting) way to build up a club that was a pile of scraps 15 months ago.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Seemed like a hard working pressing midfielder at Palace. Adds to the scheme. Wouldn't necessarily need goals from him, imo.

I'm not saying they're near each other talent wise but Longstaff can run. I would hope the next lot of signings we bring in especially those for Gallagher money can consistently offer more than pressing.

40 minutes ago, Dokko said:

A harsh 5. For me @The Butcher nailed it earlier.  Just don't think we've done enough coming in. Certainly not to fight for a CL place and if that's where they want to go, then this is an open goal for them and we seem to be passing up on it. They might not get a chance like this for another 3-4 seasons.

Same. Liverpool and Chelsea won’t be this bad again. Arsenal are building a serious squad too.   This feels like an opportune moment. 

Could be wrong. With fully fit Maxi and Isak they could give us a new attacking dimension.  Gordon might be a master stroke. The Midfielders might stay fit. 

The eye test said to me, we are increasingly struggling to create high quality chances and to finish them.  I was hoping another Bruno/Isak signing in midfield or attack. I don’t think Gordon is that guy to give us that new edge.