Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

6 minutes ago, Mikky said:

Really struggling to think of LB options - obviously being greedy I want one in the mould of say Robertson/Chilwell etc 

Would need to pull one out from nowhere 

Alex Grimaldo, Kieran Tierney, Ferland Mendy, Fran Garcia, Borna Sosa off the top of my head….been linked with a fair few LBs in the last couple of months

4 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Alex Grimaldo, Kieran Tierney, Ferland Mendy, Fran Garcia, Borna Sosa off the top of my head….been linked with a fair few LBs in the last couple of months

That born sosa looked poor during the world Cup. 

5 minutes ago, andycap said:

That born sosa looked poor during the world Cup. 

Yeah, I wasn’t impressed either. Was supposed to be decent prior to it though, I think. 

edit- we were linked prior, and not since the WC

Edited by Manxst

2 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Yeah, I wasn’t impressed either. Was supposed to be decent prior to it though, I think. 

edit- we were linked prior, and not since the WC

He looked slow and the Lewis syndrome were he just stops and plays it to the centre back all game. Dummett with longer hair. 

1 minute ago, gazza ladra said:

Spinazzola.  He’s been injured a couple times since returning. Almost 30 now.

That's the lad looked great quick skillfull and could finish. Would you not take a punt on him for a few years at left back? 

34 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Robinson at Fulham?

I mentioned him a few months back when we were sort of linked with him - having watched him since I don’t think he is the answer - passing and final ball aren’t at the level we would need - a bit shaky in 1v1s too 

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

Robinson at Fulham?

Saw him once and looked promising but have seen him since and he’s looked awful. Against Arsenal he was so weak for goal 2&3 and was lucky to have his OG chalked off. Was caught out time and time again.

Assuming we have some sort of European football next year, we'll need quite a few additions. The squad has been too thin this year, adding a bunch of midweek games is going to require real quality depth with the way we play.

Feel like we're not far from being alright at the back. Hopefully Dubravka has realised the grass isn't greener and will be willing to stay as #2. If he wants to be a starter somewhere it'll have to be at a lower club. If that's what he wants then can't blame him but would be good for us if he's happy to stay as backup. Karius or Darlow as third choice, or someone else.

Bring in a first choice LB and we're well set up at the back IMO, assuming nobody leaves. Trips, Schar, Botman and New LB the presumptive first choice four. Ashby/Krafth, Lascelles, Burn and Targett as the players pushing them. Ideally we'd sign a top class CB to partner Botman long term but I think it can wait a year with how good Schar has been. That's 9 defenders in the 25 man squad.

Midfield and attack we need a massive influx of talent.

I'm assuming ASM will leave.

Bruno, Joelinton, Willock, Gordon, Almiron and Isak are players currently in the squad that I would have faith in playing a lot of football next season. Bruno and Isak as nailed in starters, the others fighting for their spots.

Wilson I'd be happy to keep as a reserve striker if we think this fitness issue he has is fixable. Longstaff is a quality squad player. Murphy will likely have a role in the squad too given his contract and the way Howe clearly trusts him.

Ideally we'll sign four more players, then.

Looking at a central midfielder, an attacking midfielder and two wide players.

One of the wide players will ideally be a player who can also play as a CF. Obviously can't have Wilson as your only reserve striker. 

Not sure where I'm going here. Fuck it, let's just go out and sign Kvaratskhelia, Diaby, Maddison and Caicedo. Think we'd be decent then :lol:

Actually, one thing I'm hoping for is that with a year under his belt we'll start to see Ashworth bringing in some relative unknowns that turn into stars.

Cucurella, MacAllister and Caicedo were all phenomenal value additions Brighton made while he was there and you'd be hoping we'll start to see him find similar for us here.

You look at a guy like Kvaratskhelia and what he'd cost and remember that it was less than a year ago that Napoli signed him for about 10m. It's about being the team that finds the next gem sometimes, not always paying huge money for them once they've broken out.

1 hour ago, Disco said:

Can’t defend for shit although I do think he’s decent. Like a much better Yedlin given the nationality.

This is probably right, but he's lived his whole life in England so any faults in his game can't be blamed on us.

43 minutes ago, Shak said:

Actually, one thing I'm hoping for is that with a year under his belt we'll start to see Ashworth bringing in some relative unknowns that turn into stars.

Cucurella, MacAllister and Caicedo were all phenomenal value additions Brighton made while he was there and you'd be hoping we'll start to see him find similar for us here.

You look at a guy like Kvaratskhelia and what he'd cost and remember that it was less than a year ago that Napoli signed him for about 10m. It's about being the team that finds the next gem sometimes, not always paying huge money for them once they've broken out.

Being linked with Perrone and random young offenders from Brazil shows we’re on the right track with this IMO.

5 minutes ago, Disco said:

Being linked with Perrone and random young offenders from Brazil shows we’re on the right track with this IMO.

Absolutely, for English players you either get them young or overpay. 

half a good season in the premier league and a young English players asking price is 40m +

Just now, r0cafella said:

Absolutely, for English players you either get them young or overpay. 

half a good season in the premier league and a young English players asking price is 40m +

For a lot of what Brighton have done I think it’s about having the patience and in country contacts to make deals easier. Caicedo was linked with Man Utd for months with agents being cited as an issue they pretty much couldn’t be arsed to deal with especially as he was at a small albeit successful Ecuadorean club and wasn’t a cart. 

Also having players who act as a standard bearer for the club/route makes a huge deal  going forward. Brighton have deliberately targeted these markets as they have value in them. Yes you sign a few duds but for them they’re still low enough wage they can be sold back to the continent or wherever unlike teams further up the chain. 

Our problem will probably be we’re between wanting to sign the prospect who might be class and the player who is a guarantee for £40m more given ownership.

Just now, Disco said:

For a lot of what Brighton have done I think it’s about having the patience and in country contacts to make deals easier. Caicedo was linked with Man Utd for months with agents being cited as an issue they pretty much couldn’t be arsed to deal with especially as he was at a small albeit successful Ecuadorean club and wasn’t a cart. 

Also having players who act as a standard bearer for the club/route makes a huge deal  going forward. Brighton have deliberately targeted these markets as they have value in them. Yes you sign a few duds but for them they’re still low enough wage they can be sold back to the continent or wherever unlike teams further up the chain. 

Our problem will probably be we’re between wanting to sign the prospect who might be class and the player who is a guarantee for £40m more given ownership.

I know it’s aids but I think it’s where multi club set ups shine. It’s very difficult to push for CL whilst trying to do this kind of talent development in house. 

You basically need an affiliate to do it for you and take the finished product. 

it will be interesting to see how we balance it moving forward, we are walking a tight rope. 

6 hours ago, r0cafella said:

I know it’s aids but I think it’s where multi club set ups shine. It’s very difficult to push for CL whilst trying to do this kind of talent development in house. 

it will be interesting to see how we balance it moving forward, we are walking a tight rope. 

I'm all for the multi club stuff. I'd love to be watching an A League/MLS etc game and actually have a real interest in those players playing and how they progressed. 

Guerreiro (LB), Terrier (All front 3 positons), Laimer(CM/CDM)

Those would be the 3 at the top of my list and they would fill all our problem slots. None of them would cost the earth either and they are all around thier peak right now.

7 hours ago, r0cafella said:

Genuinely interested here...

But off the top of my head I can't recall many first players for those clubs with affiliates that have done some sort of apprenticeship at the affiliate and moves to the first team set up.

Those affiliates just seem to be the way clubs like Chelsea and City avoid FFP - not just as a mechanism to hoover up talent without over bloating domestic squads, but also as effective sales vehicles to sell on players in that 'not quite top level' bracket and trousering the money generated.

(Which has a use, I'm sure)

Edited by toon25