Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

The £20m thing could well be true, who knows but if it is not sure why it is a concern 

Since the owners have come in it's not only transfers we have spent/committed to, there's all the other stuff such as the extra staff we've taken on (proper staff, not doylems like Charnley) and the money spent on the stadium/training ground.

Ultimately, our revenues need to increase and that's not an overnight thing, I do think patience for a few years is needed

We've had absolutely no income from transfers for players since the new owners came in either & the only commercial deal of any great value they've been able to do is the shirt sleeve sponsor. It's essentially the same financial income that MA had us penny pinching under but now we've got much higher outgoings in other areas that the current owners are trying to improve to make us a proper football club again. Reading are apparently only paying £6k of Jeff Hendricks £50k per week & I can't imagine Sheff Utd are paying that much of Clark's either.

Edited by KDT

My advice is to remain calm and ignore all talk of our supposed budget and FFP constraints. It's good for the club that it circulates the media, as we seem very determined to drive a hard bargain.

In our position, with the volatility of the transfer market, no sane business owner would handicap himself with random fixed amounts. Not least the Governor of PIF and Chairman of Aramco. If he has to, Al-Rumayyan has the resources to fix a £100 million cash flow issue in the matter of hours. 

Edited by junkhead

Guest HTT II

All those journos, they know fuck all really so I personally wouldn’t put any weight into what they say, claim, report or debate over. I’m of the opinion that if we like a player and feel we can seriously attain that player, whether for 5m or 50m, in instalments or structured or maybe even up front, we will go out and try and do so. I’d love someone to do a league table kind of thing on all these so-called journos on how much they get right and wrong. 

2 minutes ago, junkhead said:

My advice is to remain calm and ignore all talk of our supposed budget and FFP constraints. It's good for the club that it circulates the media, as we seem very determined to drive a hard bargain.

In our position, with the volatility of the transfer market, no sane business owner would handicap himself with random fixed amounts. Not least the Governor of PIF and Chairman of Aramco. If he has to, Al-Rumayyan has the resources to fix a £100 million cash flow issue in the matter of hours. 

Unless that’s not their business model here. 

We just don’t know for sure and this window was always going to go a long way in helping us understand how they are going to operate with us. 

We’ll know even more next summer when (hopefully) we’ve got some top drawer sponsors in to help offset FFP and we see what they spend on players then. 

FWIW I don’t think we really want to spend in January windows from what the owners have said 

I think our financial situation will allow us to be active in every window, January of this year will be an outlier though given our need to get bodies in. If there's a player available in January who we see will improve us and is available I think we'll go for it (like Diaz & Liverpool).

Edited by KDT

Another slight thing of note from the true faith show, Downie said the stories it was a £50m bid for Maddison didn’t come from the club and the club were keen to let it be known it was no where near £50m read in to that what you will

7 minutes ago, gdm said:

Another slight thing of note from the true faith show, Downie said the stories it was a £50m bid for Maddison didn’t come from the club and the club were keen to let it be known it was no where near £50m read in to that what you will

Yep, they want to be seen as tough negotiators.

1 hour ago, KDT said:

Possibly, it could be that Cornet was a bit further down on the list of people they like and they didn't feel it was worth it in the end.

Honestly I think that is all it was. There's still a month left of this transfer window, if we haven't brought in any forwards by then, I'll revise my opinion then. I still think we must have better options we are pursuing. Or at least better for us. I went against my own judgement and watched a Cornet video yesterday, and even if it wasn't for some injury concerns, I don't really think he's what we need.

At some point (if we want to push into the champions league) 

we need to spend lots of money and bring in a lot more players ….budget or no budget 

teams don’t become successful and stay successful without spending big  …it’s a fact 

Stats don’t lie , check out the wages / club expenditures and see which teams finish higher 

So if we are looking to kick on (whenever that time maybe) …. We will have to compete with Man City / Real Madrid / Barcelona to get the best players 

if not ….they will continue to dominate 

Its not rocket science 

As it stands we have a long long way to go to get anywhere near that level 

As mentioned , they are in for the long haul 

Let’s enjoy it , starting tomorrow 

Edited by JonBez comesock

21 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Whilst some of you are worrying about transfer budgets or need to spend big a bit of food for thought…

This is a great graphic and exactly why we are trying to be cute with our money.

I'd like to see the next 20 or so down that list and see how they fared.

For where we are, we are better off signing Botman and Bruno for the same price as a Maguire. I do think Maddison would be worth a touch more than what we have offered mind.

27 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

What does this prove? The market's gone fucking mental this year.

That you can spend big but you are not guaranteed those players will be a success 

I was thinking about that appointment, plus the fact that Eales has only just been brought in.

I wonder whether they really are just going to use this season to get everything in order - give Ashworth & Eales the time to get everything just as they need it, the new Council is there to oversee the legal aspect etc then see a real push next summer. Explains why there was no mad rush to end the Fun88 deal before this season. 

They may even have explained this to the players they've brought in - use 22/23 to bed in, then we all push on the following season. 

Like Mehrdad said - building the skyscraper starts with the foundations...

This is something I posted a few weeks ago in response to that lawyer guy being appointed.

Looking at how tight we are still (currently) holding the purse strings, I'm even more inclined towards this theory. Obviously our activity over the next few weeks (and ultimately next summer) with either support or oppose it so I'm interested to see how it pans out.

5 minutes ago, LV said:

That you can spend big but you are not guaranteed those players will be a success 

If anything it shows the opposite to be true. Spending those sorts of fees perhaps means it's impossible for players to live up their fees.

Man City spent years spending money on players in the 30/40m bracket, which is a much smarter strategy.

1 minute ago, gdm said:

Right, can we accept there is a tight budget now or is he just playing a smoke and mirrors game as well

:lol: he literally provides an entirely different reason to the budget.