Yakuza: Like a Dragon

Guybrush

Now that I have downloaded this... WOAT.

Starts a bit slow doesn't it? I'm a few hours in and I've only just learned how to use a smartphone [emoji38]

It's refreshing to have these kind of RPG mechanics in a non-anime, non-fantasy(kinda) game. And the story is off to a good start so far.

Love that this guys hair is a complete accident :lol:.

I never actually finished this but I enjoyed what I played. I must have got to the last 3rd of the game. 

Make sure you hammer the business management mini-game as soon as it becomes available. You get an extra playable character from it and it helps in the mid-point if the game. 

I got that same advice from Troll and it's right, gets tough with only three in the mid game.

I feel like I'm starting to close in on the end (chapter 12) but just been grinding levels and loot in the second arena to extend the experience. Just got a sword for the character I hadn't bothered to try and it turns out he's the biggest hitter of all of them :megusta:

Absolutely love it, it's a brilliant game.  Tried a couple of the other 'proper' ones now I but I'm just not feeling them

FWIW the mechanics in the non-fantasy setting remind me of nothing so much as Earthbound. The irreverent approach and weird shit going on all around also feel like it - it's like Earthbound and Shenmue got together to create something incredible 

Earthbound doesn't have the overarching serious business gangster stuff going on, of course, and Shenmue was a lovely idea woefully executed, so it's really a best of both worlds thing.

Edited by OpenC

if you level up fortune teller and host for nanba (arena is the best place) he’ll have fire, ice and lightning attacks and be great vs weaknesses.  Works for the other guys too, but they’ll need foreman as well.

:thup: haven't been back to Hello Work since I got my Korean sidekick and his Chinese mate, should really see what they can all do now money is (finally) no object.

I'm in Osaka now though and don't know if I can go back

Edited by OpenC

10 minutes ago, OpenC said:

FWIW the mechanics in the non-fantasy setting remind me of nothing so much as Earthbound. 

That's a good comparison!

@St1pe Thanks for the tips! Im nowhere near the mid game yet, I've just encountered Sujimon...[emoji38]

Just got the charm that keeps mobs off the streets as well. Every RPG should have a way of disabling random battles once you no longer need them for levels :thup:

Edited by OpenC

3 hours ago, Guybrush said:

So, first time you see a REM ram is unsettling [emoji38]

Only done the first couple. Minigame has promise. 

One of those sections that feels like Persona 5. 

And whilst I can see the comparisons the two games are nothing alike. Whilst being very similar at the same time. 

P5 is on its own tier/plane essentially until P6 can potentially match it. Don't get how @OpenCdoesn't appreciate this. 

I'm 10 hours into this, with a forced holiday break :(, and I'm enjoying it. Very much. But 10 hours into P5 I was completely hooked and didn't put it down until 100 hours in when I had completed it. And then I did the same with Royal but 120 hours that time. 

Not to detract from this of course. It's so far great. But I'm sure a couple of people on here have said words to the effect of "I played it until X...". 

And it annoys me that Kasugas bat got upgraded with a massive vibrator. Less of that shit please. 

The bat being upgraded with a massive vibrator is sort of part of the reason why this is better than Persona tbh :lol: things like that and the hideously stereotyped enemies, and Nanba, remind me of gaming from back in the day when things were generally more fun :lol:

I'm on Chapter 12 closing in on the end (I think) and it's been an absolute blast, well paced and moving on, and all the long story intervals have been interesting and well done.  I feel like after a similar time in Persona 5 I was still in the cafe listening to the dude droning on and on, or maybe having to decide which of my wordy mates to hang around with :lol: it's definitely on its own tier/plane :shifty:

I haven't played that minigame though

Edited by OpenC

14 hours ago, Guybrush said:

Supposed to be leveling up and earning money to prepare to fight gangsters, but I've been playing karaoke instead for the last hour [emoji38]

That’s why I didn’t finish it. I played 60 hours I think according to the end of year PlayStation reel and I burned myself out by the end playing mini-games all of the time. 

I suppose that is Yakuza though[emoji38]

I spent an embarrassing amount of time playing Mah Jong and Poker.

Poker in particular is easy money if you know how to play, the AI is very predictable.

I'm on holiday so haven't played in the last few days but after @OpenC's review I have a question. 

Does it start to promote its combat system at some point? I've just got the fourth what I assume is main party member and so far combat is basically use your most powerful abilities and win. 

There's a job system but apart from Kasuga getting Hero it's a system that just feels there and isn't really a factor. 

I'm assuming this changes but at 10 hours in I'd have expected to be beyond the tutorial phase. 

37 minutes ago, Cf said:

I'm on holiday so haven't played in the last few days but after @OpenC's review I have a question. 

Does it start to promote its combat system at some point? I've just got the fourth what I assume is main party member and so far combat is basically use your most powerful abilities and win. 

There's a job system but apart from Kasuga getting Hero it's a system that just feels there and isn't really a factor. 

I'm assuming this changes but at 10 hours in I'd have expected to be beyond the tutorial phase. 

My major gripe with the game is the job system didn’t feel massively in depth. Not many of the jobs felt substantially different from the others to me. There was a couple that stood out but I never really clicked with it despite enjoying the combat overall. 

11 hours ago, OpenC said:

My last complaint is that your character Ichiban is a brilliant protagonist and really well developed but without exploring his jobs, in combat he can be a bit middling. I spent a lot of the game using him as the guy that dishes out the ether to keep the party MP high and while I recognise that a character like that is vital, I'm not sure the main character should be that guy. There are bigger hitters, better elemental attackers and better healers in the party and Ichi ended up being the lad with a suitcase full of MP boosts a bit too often.

I genuinely don't understand this, so I made a quick video to show how ridiculous my Kasuga is.  Did you not upgrade your weapons or something?

Disclaimer - Joon-Ji Han is usually stronger than this, but I was levelling a different job.  Kasuga is by far the most powerful though.

By the end with the bat from the top floor of the arena my Ichi was hitting for 300-400 while Joon and the Chinese lad were getting 600 and 700 :dontknow: stack slap was hitting for about 350 total but was great because it so often knocked down the opponent. Ultimately he wasn't much better than Sa-Chan though :lol:

On the combat and the jobs system, it's like all other RPGs in that to some extent you can play however you like. If you want to just brute force things through endless physical attacks that are being weakened by resistances then you probably can do, and to some extent I did do, although some fights would probably take upwards of half an hour and all of your MP recovery items doing it that way. It's still a viable approach outside dungeons though, because it's so easy to just get a meal to recover everything. The job system gives you access to other elemental attacks that I don't think you'd otherwise have (ice and electricity, I don't think I saw them in any character's default attack list but I may have just overlooked something) and while you don't need to explore it if you don't want to - and I didn't do too much of it - it's obviously the way to add depth to the combat and play a bit more stylishly than just tanking and recovering your way through, which I'll do less of on my next play through.

I just played through it as it happened without really doing any side stuff or upgrading. I only really needed to grind for money early on. Just worked through the arena once and the only time I really had to think about changing jobs was for one particular late game boss who was resistant to everything I had, but adding an ice attack to Saeko did for him. Like I said in my review, I found it pretty easygoing generally compared to stuff like Dragon Quest so I didn't feel the need to max out my party at any stage.

Edited by OpenC

You're about eight or ten levels higher than me as well Troll, which may also be influencing things (not to the extent you're hitting almost ten times harder though). My characters were mid to high 50s by the end. Nanba and Pyro Prison got me through most of the end, thinning out the groups in two turns usually.

Edited by OpenC