What are your minimum expectations for this season? (2022/23)

Rich

What are your competition expectations for this season?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. What is the minimum acceptable finish in the Premier League?

2. 2. What is the minimum acceptable progress in the FA Cup?

3. 3. What is the minimum acceptable progress in the League Cup?

1 minute ago, McCormick said:

13th,

not getting eliminated by non-PL opposition in the cups,

having a discernible play-style controlling more games.

If we drop 2 places then Howe and the board have failed hugely this season. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Guest HTT II
Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

If we drop 2 places this season then Howe and the board have failed hugely this season. 

Aye it has to be higher than that. We finished 3rd in our first season under KK and I think 6th the following season and KK was livid and called it a disappointing season.

As of today I’d be happy with 10th and a clear progression in our philosophy and attacking play. As for the cups it’s hard to tell really but as long as we give it a good go and put out teams that threaten the opponents I’m good. 

If we do manage to get in an attacking signing or two before the deadline I think we can threaten 7th which probably is what I’d want after last season’s finish. As we stand we look a bit light and very sensitive to any injuries in the front 6 positions. Hopefully the club manages to strengthen though, I’d think we’d be in for a really fun season in that case. 

8 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

If we drop 2 places then Howe and the board have failed hugely this season. 

Not for me necessarily. Not ever having any relegation worries, keeping steady in mid-table while playing some nice attacking football along the way would feel like slight progression.

We should be looking at around 7th or thereabouts and pushing as close the top six as we possibly can.  I'll be somewhat disappointed if we don't achieve that.

To me that represents a level and speed of progress which is in line with the ambitions of the project. There's a lot of confounding variables though, not going to view the league table in isolation and arrive at a judgement.

I don't think 10th or below is good enough given the form we already showed in the second half of last season. I think a lot of people have internalised the "deluded geordies" criticism to the point they're willing to be satisfied with relative mediocrity, tbh. Understandable given the relief of Ashley's departure and the promise of some kind of normality, but it's not a winning attitude - you have to set high standards and be aggressive if you want to progress. If not, what appears to be progress can turn into stagnation very fast. 

I think it's safe to say Howe and the players won't be entering this season aiming for tenth. 

Edited by Barnes23

I’d take anything 12th and above, but with some proper cup runs. someone has to win them, so why not us?! I genuinely feel like we can beat anyone on our day. especially if we’re at home.

HOPE. what a feeling!

:indi:

5 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I think even without any more signings we could finish 8th. Add someone who'd score/assist even just 12-15 goals and I think we could push West Ham.

Not sure about that. Half of the names in our 25-man squad would struggle to get another PL move if they left us.

First-team looks decent though.

23 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Not for me necessarily. Not ever having any relegation worries, keeping steady in mid-table while playing some nice attacking football along the way would feel like slight progression.

If you finish 13th, it's quite likely that at some point of the season you will have been at least close to a relegation battle. Not necessarily saying it will have been panic station, but that slight fear will have been there during a bad run most likely. 

Top 7 quality:

Bruno

Botman

Wilson

cm Joelinton

Maxi once a month

Pope

Trippier

Howe

Mid-table quality

Maxi the rest of the time

Burn

Schar

Willock

Target

2022 Krafth

Dubravka

Meh to not good enough

Manquillo

Murphy

Last-season’s form Almiron

Ritchie

Fernandez

Lascelles

Lewis

Fraser

Wood

Dummet

Last season’s form S Longstaff

Darlow

That other keeper

*Anderson, very much an unknown at this point but I’ve high hopes for him.

I dunno, but for me this doesn’t look like a squad that you’d be disappointed with if they didn’t challenge for Europe.

Top 10.

Genuinely reckon if we add some attacking options, and then depending on how it’s going, potentially strengthen again in Jan, we can push into the top 6. 

Hoping for a proper cup run. Semi (whey) at least. 

12 minutes ago, Nobody said:

If you finish 13th, it's quite likely that at some point of the season you will have been at least close to a relegation battle. Not necessarily saying it will have been panic station, but that slight fear will have been there during a bad run most likely. 

Fair enough. Not saying I’d be over the moon with 13th, I just said 13th with all the other caveats I mentioned would be the minimum I’d expect.

Anyone else weird like me and would like us to win the LC first? Would obviously be an amazing feeling being our first trophy since ‘69. But then if we ever won an FA Cup after that - it would be an extra buzz.

Obviously would be happy with anything [emoji38] But still…?

Went for 10th, FA Cup 5th Round and League Cup Quarter Final. 

Obviously the cups are hugely dependent on a draw, so I’d say that the bar for me is only getting knocked out by a good Premier League opponent.

Other things I’d like to see:

- A couple of games against the Big 6 where we are really competitive and even if we don’t win, we play well and get a result 

- A game against a mid-table or above opponent where we really thrash them 4-0, 5-0, 5-1 etc.

- More generally over the course of the season spend more on top in games - both in terms of possession but also creating genuine chances

Happy with top 10-ish and progression in how we play. That being said I fully believe we have the best management team in the league at least outside the top 2. And I think we could sneak into a European competition. Whether its getting 6th (7th doesn't give anything?), or through a cup. That would be my goal this year if I was Howe.