What are your minimum expectations for this season? (2022/23)

Rich

What are your competition expectations for this season?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. What is the minimum acceptable finish in the Premier League?

2. 2. What is the minimum acceptable progress in the FA Cup?

3. 3. What is the minimum acceptable progress in the League Cup?

To enjoy watching games, knowing that we have committed owners, and a manager and squad that are giving everything.

I don't care where we finish.

I just want to watch us with the hope that we can get some kind of result against whoever we play. I genuinely believed that, especially at SJP after the new year.

Edited by BlazeT44

2 hours ago, madras said:

I would go 11th in the league, top 6 and us being bottom of the group in behind. More so relegation should at no point be a worry is the minimum expectation.

No minimum in the cups. Could easy end with with Man City or Liverpool in the early rounds.

Same, but for some reason I think I' be disappointed with eleventh. That's now, of course, if it's a good season then 11th will be fine.

I'm not going to feel bad about being disappointed in 11t, mind. It just demonstrates how much the new owners have raised expectations, and that's all part of the experience

Edited by Happinesstan

Overall, to position ourself for an exciting future around the top 6/7. Commercial deals, infrastructure, youth, coaching etc. Proof that we want to be contenders and some aptitude to get us there. 

On the pitch it depends on the rest of the window and January. As it stands, avoiding relegation battle and some effort in the cups. Like a Brighton.  

If we end the window with 2 quality attackers. We should look for the top 8, perhaps squeezing into Europe. Cup runs. Where you might expect West Ham or a Leicester to be. 

Tricky pinning it down to a League position imo. Could end up in 12th but with more points than last season etc. Think it's probably better to break it down a bit more and look for improvements in all areas really. Last season we went 13W 10D 15L to give us 49 points - don't think it's at all unreasonable to aim for 60 points this season. We basically had to write off the first dozen games under the previous fuckwit, likewise I think Howe's run for the last 19 games was overachieving a bit, we edged a lot of games by a single goal in that run. 

So if we're aiming for 60 points then I reckon that 16W 12D 10L is probably the about the target. Last season we scored only 44 and conceded 62 and as it stands right now (opening day) I don't see too many goals in the team, nudging maybe 50ish but I do think we're much better defensively so I'd like to bring the goals conceded down a lot, I want us fucking miserly so anything in the high 40s would be really good. 

I'd also like to see a bit more possession and be a bit more creative but we need better players for that right now. I went 12th as a minimum. We shouldn't be aiming for 12th and it would be disappointing but anything lower than that would be really really poor but we might get a flood of injuries and shit can go sometimes go sideways. Cups are more difficult but if we see ourselves as one of the best few clubs in the country then we should be aiming for about QF as a minimum as we should be in the final 8 regardless of which clubs are left in it if that's where we see our position in the pyramid. 

I think we'll actually finish 8th or 9th. The best we can hope for is 7th but I think West Ham have that sewn up as we speak but overall progress in lots of areas is what I'm after, not necessarily just as high up the League as possible. 

It's still too early to make solid predictions TBH, still fun to get involved.

Our fist two games should give us a good indication of what we can expect.

6 points would be phenomenal. A complete endorsement of our progress and we could be forgiven for dreaming of CL, with a floor of 8th.

5 points would be a miracle but might give us an indication to how the referees will treat us.

4 points would be great and we couldn't be accused of delusion for looking at the top ten, up to 7th.

3 points would change nothing, really. There is a difference between beating Forest and losing to Brighton, and vice versa, but I'd still be keeping an eye on 12th position.

2 points would be disappointing, and we'd be looking at anything from 17th to tenth.

1point or zero would be a devastating start which would destroy all hope for the season ahead. But we'd probably go on to beat City.

As long as there isn’t even the slightest hint of a relegation battle or that we could be pulled into a relegation battle then I’ll be happy. 

We’ve had two transfer windows and even if the second one ends today we’ve improved as a squad  from the last one. That’s all I can ask for. I just want to enjoy supporting us again and watch us improve every year regardless of how gradual that is. 

1 hour ago, Ronaldo said:

Honestly, something will have gone seriously wrong if we finish 10th given we should be hugely improved on last season. 

Lot's of other teams have improved as well so I think 10th will be a solid result 

2 hours ago, TheGuv said:

Anyone else weird like me and would like us to win the LC first? Would obviously be an amazing feeling being our first trophy since ‘69. But then if we ever won an FA Cup after that - it would be an extra buzz.

Obviously would be happy with anything [emoji38] But still…?

My order of preference is UEFA Cup > FA Cup > League > everything else.

2nd round for LC, because it's a reserve team competition. 5th round for FA Cup, but not that bothered as it's literally luck of the draw to a point. Went harsh and said 7th in the league. Less wouldn't be a failure on Eddie's or the players part, but more a result of relatively underwhelming (barring Bruno and Botman) recruitment so far.

1 minute ago, Ronaldo said:

If you think our better players won’t be requesting moves away if we finish 10th you’re dreaming. 8th minimum. 

This current squad will do well to finish 10th, that's what I'm saying. To get 8th or higher we need at least one more forward. If Wilson gets injured we will struggle to score goals.

If we don't sign any more attacking players 10th, quarters for FA Cup, and 2nd round for league cup. I'd be happy to win the league cup but I've really never given a shit about it, it's a 3rd rate competition and I often don't know who's in the final until the day of it.

I think we might do ok in the cups, which means getting through a couple of rounds, last 16 sort of thing. Again, to do any better we will need more strike options. Unless Wilson stays fit all season, then we could quite easily finish 7th and win a cup.