Edgar

Cajun

Glenn Roeder praised David Edgar following the defender's debut in Newcastle United's defeat at Bolton Wanderers.

Injuries to Newcastle's back-line prompted Roeder to draft the teenager into his team for the trip to The Reebok Stadium.

Edgar slotted in at right-back and played the entire 90 minutes of his side's 2-1 loss to Bolton.

He pleased his manager with his solid display, with Roeder paying tribute to the Canadian for his effort.

"It could not have been a tougher place for a young lad to come and make his debut, especially with Bolton's direct style," said Roeder.

"We knew it would be like that, but for a young defender making his debut, that would make it even more difficult than normal.

"I have got no complaints with the effort he put in."

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=437686&CPID=8&clid=4&lid=3&title=Roeder+pleased+with+debut+boy

Just seen this, to me that reads "worked hard and erm...."  :lol:

I'm just pleased that we've got new defenders coming through. If Huntington and Edgar turn into two more Taylors... i'll be dead happy.

Even two more Ramage's would do me.

It would mean we have back-up defenders for years to come, but i think Hunty looks a bit more intelligent than Ramage and may eclipse him in a couple of seasons, not sure about Edgar, didn't see the match.

I just wish we could bring through a natural left back in the same quality as Ramage at centreback, if we could get a Taylor i'd be dancing.

Can't comment on Edgar but glad he has had a start and glad that it sounds like he has done okay, it gives us another option!

The small amount that I have seen Hunty play he looks a more natural player than Ramage. At the moment I would pick Ram over Hunty purely on extra experience gained by Ramage. By the end of the season though if Hunty as alot more games under his belt I could see him jump the pecking order.

Only saw Huntington against Chelsea and i wasn't overly impressed, but then he was up against the likes of Arjen Robben. However, he certainly sounds like a decent talent by what people have said on here, and from other snippets and extended highlights that i have seen - he appears to be a very capable player. One thing i have noticed though, which is very assuring when you look at how tall he is, his heading ability is very powerful. Looking forward to seeing more on him! :thup:

Can't comment on Edgar.

A conversation at my house last night...

Baggio - I didn't expect us to win anyway, our back four are all kids and we had David Edgar making his debut at right back...

Baggio's mam - He's a good player, does he still wear sunglasses when he plays?

Baggio -  :doh:

Baggio - I didn't expect us to win anyway, our back four are all kids and we had David Edgar making his debut at right back...

Baggio - :doh:

My auntie said almost exactly the same thing. :lol:

"You mean the one who wears those glasses?"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Thought he was decent. Looked comfortable on the ball. Was calm and composed as well. Him and Hunty seem to know how to head the ball away from our goal, something which Carr/Baba don't. He's definitely one for the future. Seems to be most comfortable on the ball out of Taylor, Ramage, Huntington and himself. Good signs I must say.

Only saw Huntington against Chelsea and i wasn't overly impressed, but then he was up against the likes of Arjen Robben. However, he certainly sounds like a decent talent by what people have said on here, and from other snippets and extended highlights that i have seen - he appears to be a very capable player. One thing i have noticed though, which is very assuring when you look at how tall he is, his heading ability is very powerful. Looking forward to seeing more on him! :thup:

Can't comment on Edgar.

I agree with you about Huntington.He is tall,strong just needs more games to gain experience :thup:

On the other hand if you see our squad we had 5 Central defenders-Bramble,Moore,Taylor,Ramage,Huntington

We need fullbacks in January :confused:

Saw the recording a bit later on, and both Edgar and Huntington looked solid.

If these guys can come and make their debuts at places like Chelsea and Bolton,and more than hold their own, then with time they can certainly become very decent players. Taylor has been very solid as well, finally looking like the palyer people said he could be and these two look like they could go down the same road.

Ramage was the one who looked the most shaken, and understandably after that freak incident. Although he looks like a solid player at times, I dont see him anything more than good backup for us in the future.

Saw the recording a bit later on, and both Edgar and Huntington looked solid.

If these guys can come and make their debuts at places like Chelsea and Bolton,and more than hold their own, then with time they can certainly become very decent players. Taylor has been very solid as well, finally looking like the palyer people said he could be and these two look like they could go down the same road.

Ramage was the one who looked the most shaken, and understandably after that freak incident. Although he looks like a solid player at times, I dont see him anything more than good backup for us in the future.

:thup: :thup:

Guest keego_nufc

Edgar loves this team to death, his father played for Newcastle I believe which is why he has been eager to join the 1st team

best of luck to him

Ill be rooting for him in June at the WYC

Was at the Bolton match on Boxing Day, I was impressed with Edgar, did the simple things really well (positioning, tackling etc) needs to beef up and improve his distribution but for his age he is good (very impressed :thup:)

Edgar loves this team to death, his father played for Newcastle I believe which is why he has been eager to join the 1st team

best of luck to him

Ill be rooting for him in June at the WYC

Got it in my head his old man was a keeper for us?