Alexander Isak

Disco

21 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

He played 34 games as the right-sided CF, in a two, last season. Which is kind of the same role but with 50% more responsibility.

That's playing CF - not RW.

18 minutes ago, McCormick said:

If you ask most La Liga fans, they’ll tell you we’ve massively overpaid. If it was up to La Real fans, they would have been satisfied with a 40m fee for him. The extra 20m or so is for hype and the fact that he’s a big name.

I’m all for it btw, shows we mean business.

Interesting. Do you know why that is? i mean 6 goals last season is a poor return.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Fuck me you're simple sometimes. RW is not a role, it's a starting position. How the player plays the position is dependent upon what you ask of them. We don't lack penetration on the right wing, we lack bodies in the box to get on the end of that penetration. With a starting position of RW with the instruction to get into the box, he'll be essentially playing CF for 80% of the match.

8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Interesting. Do you know why that is? i mean 6 goals last season is a poor return.

Like myself, they think he’s overhyped after a very good 20/21 season and a great Euro performance. Not a prolific goal scorer but I do really like him. Sociedad’s play-style didn’t help but he was largely underwhelming last season. I’ve no doubt Howe can get the best out of him as he does have the attributes to potentially be a very special player.

I’ve said it earlier I’m very impressed that we’ve managed to convince a player with his reputation to sign for us and we’re showing that, if we really want a player, we’ll pay over the odds to get him in. That, in and of itself, is very encouraging.

Edited by McCormick

42 minutes ago, Klaus said:

The prices are increasing every season, so how can anyone know if we are paying over the odds!? Especially for a talented/young forward player.

Don't know enough about the player to know if we are overpaying or not.  But it seems every transfer, people will always say the player is too expensive. 

Fans will compare it to someone from a season or two ago, who went for a good bit less.  Or they'll use a very basic 'if X player is worth £50m, then Y player must be worth £100m' comparison.  Without any thought for all the particulars, additional fees, minute details and differences between each deal.  Haaland is the one that really springs to mind this season.

All that said, I'll be a massive hypocrite and still say I can't believe how much Morgan Gibbs-White cost :lol: 

-Allround forward

-Like young Thierry Henry
-Likes to drift out wide, drags defenders with him, likes to take fullbacks on 1v1
-Explosive pace, technically sensational
-Likes to pick ball in number 10 position and take on defenders
-He is not just a traditional number 9

(sorry if giggs)

Edited by soyt

14 minutes ago, McCormick said:

I’ve said it earlier I’m very impressed that we’ve managed to convince a player with his reputation to sign for us and we’re showing that, if we really want a player, we’ll pay over the odds to get him in. That, in and of itself, is very encouraging.

Aye. Think they've always been prepared to pay the premium for a statement signing, just not on every signing. Overpaying for Casemiro, for example, would not be  a statement of intent, really.

8 minutes ago, pedro111 said:

ESPN pundits (bar Shaka) were really negative about this transfer.

Listening to total sport and the Spanish football ‘expert’/commentator John Driscoll they’ve got on isn’t too impressed :lol: said if he went to another la liga club you’d be looking at £15m and fee is enhanced coz of PL and Newcastle

said his stats were ‘awful’ last season. Scored 6 goals 2 from pens and 1 from a direct free kick 

and he said Callum Wilson starts ahead of him every day of week but he is an upgrade on Chris Wood which he paused before even saying that

and said he could find better for cheaper in la liga

:lol:

Edited by gdm

When he first broke through at AIK, I always thought he had a bit of Bergkamp in him. Plays a bit further up the pitch than Bergkamp did, and is faster, but he has that technique to drop deeper and drag defenders out of position. 

Obviously this is when he was 16 years old and still very, very raw, and he's changed his game a bit since then, but there you go. 

I've definitely never seen a 16 year old come in and take the absolute piss out of the Swedish league before, that's for sure :snod:

9 hours ago, Nobody said:

Yes. That's mine. I've covered him extensively and done a lot of stuff on his background, career and social surroundings. He comes across very clever and calm. Seeing him make his professional debut at 16 and talking to him at that time, those attributes came across immediately. Talking to his old teachers and people he grew up with, it sounds as if he hasn't forgotten much about who he is and where he comes from. For example, he called his old Spanish teacher from San Sebastian to thank her for teaching him the Spanish language (she told me in person).

In my mind, Isak is a fantastic signing. I wouldn't be overly concerned with his goalscoring form from last year. He possesses qualities that could potentially make him devastating under Howe. His awareness and understanding of the game is vastly underrated. He has a tendency to link up with good passers (Ödegaard was a very good source for him), his movement is both smart and quick, he's a good finisher. His decision-making is what makes me think he'll fit in especially well under Howe, we attack teams with pace now, and what makes us dangerous is when our players manage to capitalise on the spaces they create for each other. Isak has been playing in a quite slow system at Real Sociedad. When he scored 17 for them the other year, they were more direct. Last season he was asked to do a lot of other stuff next to Sörloth, and La Real for some reason started to play a lot more through Oyarzabal, which just slowed them down even more. On top of that, he's overcome struggles in his career, his time at Dortmund in particular. 

If you want to look at recent, big games where he's performed well, I'd say you look at how he played against Spain last year, both in the Euro's and in the WC qualifiers. His goals against Greece in the WC qualifiers. His performance against Slovakia at the Euro's was also magnificent.