Liverpool vs. Newcastle United - 31/8/22 @ 8pm (BTSport)

I think he'll start Isak. Wood has had a lot of minutes over the last week and I generally get the impression that Howe is more wary about dropping players in who have more defensive responsibility due to the pace change of the league. Of course, our forwards have pressing duties but that shouldn't be too hard to give basics on for Wednesday.

Wood is more of a target man to aim for on the break, Isak doesn't seem that type of player. Like it or not, we won't see much of the ball in this fixture and will be penned back into our own half for much of this.

Give Isak a decent 30 minute cameo and start him for the next home match.

I quite fancied us against City, and would be confident of giving anyone a good go at home, but here, with the injuries, and those springing into life yesterday, I probably would take a spirited 1-0 defeat if offered.

That mindset should really be well and truly in the past, and we'd obviously get the same amount of points as Bournemouth did, but I just can't see much better than 3-0, or 2-0 at best, and a potential narrow defeat where we competed reasonably well, perhaps a little bit like the most recent match at SJP, would continue the momentum somewhat, it certainly wouldn't flatten it anyway.

For all the talk injuries will be gone it doesnt look like it is any better. Maximin and Trippier will be out for a whole lot of games this season. The season has just started and they are already limping. Hope Bruno isnt made of cookies also. Shame because there is no other places a win would feel so good as Anfield.

It's worth bearing in mind we did okay there last season with this line up:

Dubravka

Manquillo
Schar
Lascelles
Lewis (Ritchie, 15mins)
Murphy
Hayden
Shelvey
Fraser (Willock, 87mins)
Saint-Maximin (Wilson, 79mins)
Joelinton

If I'm managing us on FM in this situation and Wilson, Bruno, ASM and Trippier are all out with injuries, I completely capitulate and play full team of reserves/youth :lol: No point exposing the likes of Botman and Isak to a trashing and risking further injuries to the other first team players with better fixtures coming up.

Good thing I'm not the manager. Howe will have a plan for the match, prepare the available players as good as possible and we'll give it a good go no matter what.

This is going to be a patched up, one off, hail Mary swing at a smash and grab.

It's perfectly natural that Howe will have one eye on Palace and making sure he has a proper team available for a more winnable game.

That's not to say he won't have a real go or have a plan, but he won't take any risks with injuries and nor should he. Isak might get an hour from the start or 30 minutes at the end but he will be kept for Palace.

I can actually see a few changes:

Pope

Manquillo   Schar     Burn     Targett

Longstaff

Willock         Anderson

Fraser                                     ASM

Wood 

Give Joelinton, Botman, Trippier, Bruno and Isak a clean bill of health.

Glad we’re getting this fixture out of the way early. Our opening fixtures have been very difficult, Forest aside.

Would love us to get something just to piss RAWK off. The hatred they have towards us is weird.