Liverpool vs. Newcastle United - 31/8/22 @ 8pm (BTSport)

I think Liverpool are lucky this fixture is coming now with us far from full strength. We'd definitely trouble them if we were.

As its looking, just play the system with who've got and see how it goes. If it works, that's great, if not turn the sound off, because it'll just be the media fawning over them. The fake law of "bad decisions even themselves out" says we should get a penalty in this game after the non-awards against City and Wolves, but I fully expect all penalties and red cards to be awarded in their favour.

9 hours ago, black_n_white said:

Can anyone see us going 5 at the back for this one?

No, I see Howe as sticking to his system and try and go toe to toe with anyone , no more digging in for the inevitable defeat  

11 hours ago, worthy said:

Hopefully just a faint, or else we might end up being up there with Bournmouth in terms of a trashing :lol:

Keep-up Worthy. Nobody is thrashing that team. Three of the best players not on the pitch, very little quality in reserve, and still manage 21 shots and the majority of possession at Wolves. We’re organised, dogged and committed. Not wide-eyed, dog shit and should-be-committed 

Terrible time to be playing this lot. No Bruno, No Wilson, Tripper potentially out, ASM potentially out. Only saving grace is that they have their own injury troubles but that didn't stop them scoring 9 so perhaps they aren't really troubles at all.

I'm not by any means saying we'll roll over because I don't think we will. Just have alot less confidence going into this than I would've 2/3 weeks ago.

47 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Keep-up Worthy. Nobody is thrashing that team. Three of the best players not on the pitch, very little quality in reserve, and still manage 21 shots and the majority of possession at Wolves. We’re organised, dogged and committed. Not wide-eyed, dog shit and should-be-committed 

Fair enough CJ! As long as we give them a game I will be extremely pleased, it was a bit tongue in cheek even though I’m the most pessimistic cunt on here :lol:

It is disappointing, but I’d much rather be putting out a weakened team away to Liverpool (or Man City) than to anybody else. For example, would be gutted to be understrength home or away to to Man Utd or, to a lesser degree, Chelsea, Spurs or Arsenal. Particularly at home. Everything points towards us looking forward to an exciting season where we can consistently compete and genuinely have a chance of beating anyone. 

I would throw in Isak up front, it will give them something extra to think about and should gee our lot up. Not bothered if chris gets the hump, he is actually better to bring on when we are defending a lead as he is a good presser and can win headers...

Would also have elliot anderson on instead of Bruno (if not fit), longstaff really does slow us down and get dispossessed a lot...

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Feels a lot less like an automatic defeat this season. I wouldn't rule us out from getting something, even with a patched up team. We'll give anyone a game this season. 

I agree , however these have serious quality and will work us to death and win without reply I think . So easy to think defeat after the past few years so having hope is all I wanted . I’ve got that hope now but I just think purely on football terms these will be 2 goals better than us Yorkie .

Are Trippier and ASM even confirmed as doubts (I know they were both hobbling about at times), or is it a case of Doom-Online again? ASM certainly wasn't talking like someone who would miss the game midweek in his post-match interview. 

1 hour ago, NEEJ said:

Are Trippier and ASM even confirmed as doubts (I know they were both hobbling about at times), or is it a case of Doom-Online again? ASM certainly wasn't talking like someone who would miss the game midweek in his post-match interview. 

Bit dramatic to say Doom-online isn't it?  :lol:Hardly a stretch to think players who were struggling towards the end of a Sunday afternoon game and holding a hamstring could be a doubt for a Wednesday game. 

Edited by Wilson

It's a shame so many key players are going to be missing, I was really fancying our chances against them this time. I mean as much as you can, they would still be favourites obviously, but what we did against Man City shows we can compete with the best now. But we do need our best players.

3 minutes ago, Wilson said:

Bit dramatic to say Doon-online isn't it?  :lol:Hardly a stretch to think players who were struggling towards the end of a Sunday afternoon game and holding a hamstring could be a doubt for a Wednesday game. 

Just wait and see, man. It really feels like people are desperate to fear the worst, as if we're still under the oppression of Ashley and Bruce. We're a different animal now, I'm confident that regardless of who's out we'll put in a good account of ourselves. 

5-0 Liverpool.