Liverpool vs. Newcastle United - 31/8/22 @ 8pm (BTSport)

9 hours ago, The Prophet said:

I'm not going to stress too much about this one. We could go there full strength and get soundly beaten. Much like City at home anything other than a comfortable defeat is a bonus. If we have any knocks, rest them for Palace.

Nah man, the days of throwing games are over mate. We went toe to toe with Man City, granted the circumstances for this might be very different, but we haven't signed Pope, Botman Bruno and Isak to just throw our toughest games. Even Howe said in his pre City presser that these are the teams we want to compete against and they are the tests to see where we're at. 

Whoever is out, I want to see us go out there and try to play our game to the best of our ability, and if it doesn't work then tough luck and we'll go into the Palace game trying to do the same again. 

1 hour ago, Geordie Boyo said:

Isak

asm         Wood       Almiron

Joelinton Anderson  

target                  Trippier

Burn    Botman 

Pope 

or 

Isak

asm        Wood         Almiron

Joelinton Botman 

target                  Trippier

Burn    Schar 

Pope

I’d honestly rather play botman there than longstaff, even Schar in that role. He’ll likely start longstaff though. Would be nice to see what anderson can do, but it’s a big game for him. 

@Rich 

1 hour ago, La Parka said:

Miggy?             Isak

Anderson

Joe Longstaff       

Targett.                 Tripps

Burn Bot schar

Pope 

Joe Longthorne in the middle? Shirley [Bassey] not.

Edited by Happinesstan

5 minutes ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

Would play the same team that started Vs Wolves if fit, but with Anderson coming in for Willock.

Would be maybe tempted to put Fraser in over Almiron as I thought he looked bright and sharp when he came on.

I think if we ever start Fraser we risk losing him for 6 weeks. Great option from the bench.

Agree that Isak should come straight in. He's not going to learn anything from observing Chris Wood. Just chuck him in, he's played a shit-ton at the highest level, he'll be fine. 

Pope

Manquillo, Schar, Botman, Targett 

Anderson, Longstaff, Willock

Almiron, Isak, Joelinton

Assuming Trippier and Maxi are out. 

16 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

Everyone assuming that Isak goes straight in. (So much for letting him bed in.)

I'm not expecting him to start. Would surprise me if it's not the exact same  starting XI as Wolves (assuming Tripper and ASM are fit).

I think Howe will have him coming off the bench Wednesday and then starting the next game.

45 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

Everyone assuming that Isak goes straight in. (So much for letting him bed in.)

The alternative is Wood starting 3-4 games in 10 days, which he does not look physically capable of. 

8 hours ago, Happinesstan said:

Steve Bruce signed up to the forum?

? ….You’d have 5 at the back and as many useful attacking players on the bench as possible.  
I don’t rate Wood, but he’s handy to have in there to play-off on with attacking players around him. 

bottom line is, I don’t think anyone has any idea who will start given doubts we have over a couple of players starting along with playing against these as he might well go for 5 at the back…! 

27 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I’d say ASM and Trippier are doubts based on how they finished the last game. But we don’t know. 

its also what i assume, that both are at doubt - and Bruno out.

A draw would be awesome... 

Isak has to start against liverpool, he is very fast and can test their high defensive line, same with ASM, leave them two up the field and the rest of the team slog it out with the bin dippers.

-------------------Pope------------------

Tripps (if fit)Manq---Schar --- botman-----Target

----Anderson------Longstaff-------Linton

Miggy-----------ISAK-----------*ASM----

It's a shame about Bruno because midfield is their biggest weakness. Also if ASM isn't available to make Alexander-Arnold defend a bit more. 

Diaz looks in top form so that could be a worry for whichever RB we can field. 

Defeat but not by loads.