Liverpool 2-1 Newcastle United (31/08/2022)

Yorkie

4 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

It shows him completely level with the defender with some lines pointlessly drawn onto the single frame.

VAR completely loses the entire point of the offside rule which is to stop players gaining an advantage. He’s not gaining any advantage and pre-VAR a competent liner wouldn’t have flagged that in a million years.

I have said from the beginning, I do not even trust this offside process being used with VAR at the small margins it is being used to adjudicate decisions. There was another yesterday where Gray looked visually onside for Everton, but was declared off by the arbitrary lines. The goal-line technology (which is much simpler) has failed in the Premier League at least once, so I am not sure why we take this seemingly manual geometric process as gospel?

Stream I saw the end of had Michael Owen and tim Sherwood in the studio, and both were very complimentary about us, Eddie Howe and how we are playing since the turn of the year.

Both also saying we were hard done by and Liverpool got away with one with the added time which was over.

They also commented on Howe's class not to mention it in his post match and use it as an excuse, and just move on to the next match.

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

It's a fucking bullshit call. Maybe for a microsecond his shoulder is a millimetre ahead of the defender's but he's not offside ffs. Not saying this just cos of tonight, I've been saying this ever since Lingard got one chalked off in the Nation's League years ago.

It's actually impossible to tell if it's that close, it would be impossible to say the exact microsecond the ball left his foot so clicking between frames in meaningless unless you have a close up of his foot.

Just now, MrRaspberryJam said:

Why the fuck did Joelinton cross that in the box man. 

My stream froze at that point, ball hovering in front of the goal, with what looked like Elliott ready to get on the end of it. What an anti-climax switching to here turned out to be.

21 minutes ago, NUFC said:

If Joelinton had half a brain and kept it in the corner instead of crossing that wont have happened

Howay man :lol:

He, probably like most, thought that was the last attack and tbf we were unlucky not to at least get a shot off. 

Heh, I didn't wanna say it. But yeah. Hopefully we'll learn from that because even though there was a real chance, you've got to be immovable on your discipline. We wavered for a split second and that was that. 

Was going for the dagger. Was a decent ball to Anderson too. Honestly thought the whistle was going to blow once Joe actually started breaking forward.

Cannot believe the ref then plays on long enough for them to get a corner and score. For goodness sake man. I'm going to have to go for a walk or something.

That was too infuriating.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Said it in the officiating thread, but against a non-big six side that's given as a goal. You'll never convince me otherwise.

True, but thats not offside actually or what am i missing here? I dont get that red line. Its mad

Almost no point playing Liverpool on live telly. We ain’t gunna get the rub of shit. 

95 mins and they’re allowed a corner in the 98th to score. Standard. 

On a general note we need another midfielder and another forward wide man. Also Lascelles ain’t good enough.

1 minute ago, Happinesstan said:

My stream froze at that point, ball hovering in front of the goal, with what looked like Elliott ready to get on the end of it. What an anti-climax switching to here turned out to be.

Was a good cross tbf.  Felt Anderson should have just smashed it towards goal rather than work a better angle.

Nothing short of a fucking disgrace that.

It's not his style but I'd love Eddie Howe to come out and challenge that. It feels like a good time / the right time to do so. I don't think he will and perhaps that's why Eddie might be the man to go further than others for us, grounding us, etc. But right now, I want that calling out as I'm fucking raging.

Klopp was in the ear of those officiating all game - they knew they couldn't overcome our intensity first half. Granted there was some tactical time wasting throughout the game but into injury time there certainly wasn't that amount of injury time to be had.

That combined with an iffy offside just leaves me with a bittwr taste in my mouth when rrally we should be celebrating an excellent, undefeated opening to the season getting 7 points from arguably 4 of our toughest fixtures. 

This has to be used though as a burning fire that powers us through the next 4 or 5 games. Aim for maximum points. Upset the apple cart. Fuck lot of them. NUWNBD

2 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Better touch from Anderson and he has a shot on goal for a winner. 

If we got a draw, people would be why didn't he cross it! 

3 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

If we’d scored, which could have happened, we’d not be berating it. It’s just hard to take, as after that the whistle should have been blown. 

Once the seething ceases, in the cold light of day we can look at the positives from this performance. Right now though I feel we were thoroughly fucked over by the “magic of Anfield” and, accordingly, some “comical” officiating.

Edited by McCormick

There has to be a better way to judge offside than this, it’s absolutely silly. I don’t even celebrate goals now. 

On the added time, also ludicrous to add 3 extra minutes on. Some level of delay to the game or players going down is perfectly normal, surely you don’t add every second on? Why not add on 30 seconds for someone kicking the ball far into the crowd or some shit? Makes no sense. 

The worst thing about the extra time is that it’s arbitrary, impossible to prove and just in one man’s head. No game should’ve decided on something as questionable as that.