Newcastle United vs. Crystal Palace - 3/9/22 @ 3:00pm (No UK TV)

HaydnNUFC

Palace have started well, but we're going to be bang up for this. An early goal from us, Isak, and then we'll put a few past them. If they frustrate us however, it could be a difficult afternoon. How's that for a generic statement.

1 minute ago, SiLvOR said:

Palace have started well, but we're going to be bang up for this. An early goal from us, Isak, and then we'll put a few past them. If they frustrate us however, it could be a difficult afternoon. How's that for a generic statement.

Big few hours ahead from 3pm on Saturday.

The onus will be on us to attack this. While Palace have been tactically flexible season, they're a counter attacking team who have plenty of pace and trickery on the break.

A solid midfield base allows Eze to drift between the lines while either Ayew or Olise, along with Zaha will provide fret out wide. Obviously it'll be key to keep the latter quiet. He tends to drift in field and commit players and I'm sure we'll be well aware of that.

A theme of the Viera era had been an inability to defend set pieces. We generally have good inventive routines, but it is an area we need to exploit more often with the likes of Schar, Botman and Big Joe all half decent in the air.

After a tough game on Wednesday we might freshen things up here. I wouldn't be suprised to see Schar, Botman and Bruno come in.

Although tiredness is a worry, I think we'll see plenty of the ball and Isak's trickery will be key to unlocking their defence with ASM almost certainly out. Plus, at home we've become a really difficult side to beat. I fancy a close, hard fought victory: 2-1.

When Howe says a player is "close" and "we'll have to see" i get the feeling now that it always means the player will not play and he only says it to keep opposition managers guessing. Do we have an example of a player ending up playing that I can't remember?

5 minutes ago, Conjo said:

When Howe says a player is "close" and "we'll have to see" i get the feeling now that it always means the player will not play and he only says it to keep opposition managers guessing. Do we have an example of a player ending up playing that I can't remember?

Trippier v Villa springs to mind.

1 hour ago, SiLvOR said:

At least you appreciate the fact that here is another team who can impact the outcomes of the game.

Very nervous about the game tbh. Will be a massive test of our physical and mental resilience after the exertion and ultimate disappointment of this run of away games. Not saying I'd take a draw but it's just crucial we don't lose and totally kill the momentum and hurt the good feeling around the squad. 

30 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Very nervous about the game tbh. Will be a massive test of our physical and mental resilience after the exertion and ultimate disappointment of this run of away games. Not saying I'd take a draw but it's just crucial we don't lose and totally kill the momentum and hurt the good feeling around the squad. 

The home crowd and Wor Flags will be key and lift the team  :indi:

image.thumb.jpeg.22d3e78aa6f45ee7b9cb7e6b2c56cc52.jpeg

Edited by PauloGeordio

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

Yeah, feel a bit of pressure about it, good start/bad start on paper, not for me, hanging in the balance.

IF we manage to win this then its been a very good start considering our fixtures so far. God i would love a win here without the issue of shitting myself for the last 30 minutes or so. 2-0 at HT and then a third early in the 2nd half please :lol: I hate being nervous as fuck towards the end of games. Especially after a kick in the balls like the end of the Liverpool game. Fine margins. 

3 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Oof we could be in for a bit of Murphy. That wets the appetite.

Unless he tries Wood up top with Isak wide left?

I’m just not sure yet if Howe sees him as purely an out and out striker or as someone who can play wide too if needed. Pretty sure he’s mentioned he could play with Wilson so maybe he’ll try him with Wood rather than having Murphy on wide left from the start. 

Edit: that’s if Fraser is out obvs 

Edited by LV

5 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

I think the side that beat Liverpool should be able to handle these.

And allow the injured lads to not rush back too soon.

Of course nobody should be rushed back too soon. But nobody knows the state of the injuries, so we say "if" Bruno is back.