Newcastle United vs. Crystal Palace - 3/9/22 @ 3:00pm (No UK TV)

HaydnNUFC

5 minutes ago, LV said:

Unless he tries Wood up top with Isak wide left?

I’m just not sure yet if Howe sees him as purely an out and out striker or as someone who can play wide too if needed. Pretty sure he’s mentioned he could play with Wilson so maybe he’ll try him with Wood rather than having Murphy on wide left from the start. 

Edit: that’s if Fraser is out obvs 

I'm not certain the player knows himself. Howe will give him every opportunity to discover his most effective role.

Just because he hasn't been given the opportunity to play right or left, does not mean he is incapable. He looks like a complete forward [or my understanding] to me.

If Howe can develop whatever Joelinton was, into a Ball winning, box to box Terminator, then I'm drooling at the thought of what he can develop together with this lad.

2 hours ago, maze said:

Hope we win this. 5 points from 6 match is OK, but if we loose, then I got to admit  I’ll start questioning things. 

Exactly what things would you be questioning? 

Palace have been really really good this season so im not expecting this to be easy at all given our injuries. 

Hopefully we’ve got enough to sneak a win. If ASM and Bruno are out I’d start Anderson over Longstaff so we’ve got someone else on the pitch trying to force the issue. 

6 minutes ago, St1pe said:

Palace have been really really good this season so im not expecting this to be easy at all given our injuries. 

Hopefully we’ve got enough to sneak a win. If ASM and Bruno are out I’d start Anderson over Longstaff so we’ve got someone else on the pitch trying to force the issue. 

I wouldn't go as far as a really, really good season, but they've had a tough start like us.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

With a full strength team I agree, if we are missing ASM and Bruno, im not so sure. 

We should've probably beat Wolves (with ASM admittedly) and we were very close to taking something from Anfield without them. Don't get some of the pessimism tbh, we've only lost 1 home league game this calendar year, to Liverpool, 0-1.

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

We should've probably beat Wolves (with ASM admittedly) and we were very close to taking something from Anfield without them. Don't get some of the pessimism tbh, we've only lost 1 home league game this calendar year, to Liverpool, 0-1.

We created next to nothing at Wolves though, and Liverpool we could play on the break and get space in behind, that won’t be the case tomorrow I don’t think.

I also think Murphy will start because I don’t see Fraser playing 2 games in 3 days.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

We created next to nothing at Wolves though, and Liverpool we could play on the break and get space in behind, that won’t be the case tomorrow I don’t think.

I also think Murphy will start because I don’t see Fraser playing 2 games in 3 days.

Eh? At Wolves we should've had a pen, Willock should've scored in that same phase and we hit the bar in stoppage time. One of ASM or Bruno will start going off Howe's comments imo.

2 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Yeah. I think you could argue that injuries cost us points in those games, but I think we got the points we expected, so it's no loss. If the swings and roundabouts rule is adhered to, we'll have a fuly fit squad for some of our biggest challenges and get bonuses.

2 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Yeah. I think you could argue that injuries cost us points in those games, but I think we got the points we expected, so it's no loss. If the swings and roundabouts rule is adhered to, we'll have a fuly fit squad for some of our biggest challenges and get bonuses.

We'd have beaten Wolves and gotten a point on Wednesday with them imo, given how the games panned out. No matter. We'll have 1 of them at least back going off what Howe said today.

By the time we play Bournemouth at home, maybe even at West Ham next week, we'll hopefully have a fully fit squad to choose from.

18 minutes ago, Pata said:

Exactly what things would you be questioning? 

At the end of the day what counts are winning matches. We got one in five. If that’s the norm to say what’s coming, and we are biting nails over Palace (that finished below us last season), then I’d disagree we have improved from were we ended last season. 

18 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Himself hopefully 

Heh, grow up..

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

We'd have beaten Wolves and gotten a point on Wednesday with them imo, given how the games panned out. No matter. We'll have 1 of them at least back going off what Howe said today.

By the time we play Bournemouth at home, maybe even at West Ham next week, we'll hopefully have a fully fit squad to choose from.

No, I absolutely agree. I just think they would have been bonus points to what was expected. But we'll get those bonuses in other games.

10 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Eh? At Wolves we should've had a pen, Willock should've scored in that same phase and we hit the bar in stoppage time. One of ASM or Bruno will start going off Howe's comments imo.

Don’t think Howe’s comments suggest either will start tbh, don’t really think that suggested anything either way.

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Don’t think Howe’s comments suggest either will start tbh, don’t really think that suggested anything either way.

"Bruno and Maxi are close. They weren't serious injuries but we'll wait and see whether they're available for this weekend"

Given Longstaff and Willock have played 3 away games in a week, I can see one of them being rested and Bruno will come in. 'Wait and see' if they're available to me is just him keeping his cards close to the chest. One of them certainly imo is bound to be in the matchday squad and perhaps even start.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

I still suffer from the Ashley days. mentality. I write us off against Liverpool and City, I worry about injuries and always tend to downplay our chances.

Then you look at the recent performances at home to City and at Anfield. You consider that last season's remarkable run was without Trippier, Wilson and for large chunks ASM. You look at how difficult we are to play against even when we're not playing so well. Then you realise we'll be alright even if we are missing a couple of players.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

I still suffer from the Ashley days. mentality. I write us off against Liverpool and City, I worry about injuries and always tend to downplay our chances.

Then you look at the recent performances at home to City and at Anfield. You consider that last season's remarkable run was without Trippier, Wilson and for large chunks ASM. You look at how difficult we are to play against even when we're not playing so well. Then you realise we'll be alright even if we are missing a couple of players.

D'you know? I feel completely cleansed now. Proud to be a happy clapper.

18 minutes ago, maze said:

At the end of the day what counts are winning matches. We got one in five. If that’s the norm to say what’s coming, and we are biting nails over Palace (that finished below us last season), then I’d disagree we have improved from were we ended last season. 

This is just way too simplistic and results-oriented view to have. We've played five games and Brighton was the only poor performance. Failing to get a result against Crystal Palace doesn't change anything especially with all the injuries we are dealing with. We are clearly improving but have a thin squad.

32 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I wouldn't go as far as a really, really good season, but they've had a tough start like us.

The few times I’ve seen them they’ve played some really good stuff and been unlucky in games. Zaha has been incredible too. 

Lots of palace fans don’t seem too confident, seen a few say they expect Viera to go 5 at the back. 

not watched them at all this season so can’t comment but I had this impression they were more attacking than that now.

49 minutes ago, Pata said:

This is just way too simplistic and results-oriented view to have. We've played five games and Brighton was the only poor performance. Failing to get a result against Crystal Palace doesn't change anything especially with all the injuries we are dealing with. We are clearly improving but have a thin squad.

It really isn’t tbh. But each to their own. 

Edited by maze