Harrison Ashby (on loan at Swansea City)

James

3 minutes ago, Shak said:

Summer, I think.

Hopefully this lad can settle quickly and be ready to be second choice RB quickly but might be best to keep Manquillo for now just in case it takes some time.

Ashby doesn't take a squad space until next season so not sure why some are keen to get rid of Manquillo now

Same applies to Gordon, so if I'm not mistaken Wood leaving means we still have a spot free (Maddison anyone?

Sounds like a sensible combination of having a backup not being paid much who can then study off trippier over course of a few years and take over for him having learned precisely how we play. Save wages by moving Krafth and Manquillo, allocate elsewhere. It’s good squad and money management first and foremost IMO, but also has a hint of “the Brightons” in a tiny fee for someone who could next a lot more than that in return for some good coaching even if he gets frustrated waiting for his turn and moves on. 

One query I have is the flip side of that: he’s leaving West Ham, as I understand it, due to lack of first team opportunities. There aren’t going to be many here in the short-term beyond rotation and injuries to trippier.

Edited by Theregulars

22 minutes ago, christ said:

Really weird deal this. It doesn’t sound like he’s pulled up trees at West Ham, but the club have been trying to get this deal done for a year now.

They must rate him, but it’s a bit odd we’ve had a clear run at signing him. £3m is fuck all in the grand scheme of things. 

he’s at the point of his career that he needs to be starting 15 games a season. He won’t get that at West Ham or Chelsea, but if he’s good enough he will here

11 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Ashby doesn't take a squad space until next season so not sure why some are keen to get rid of Manquillo now

Same applies to Gordon, so if I'm not mistaken Wood leaving means we still have a spot free (Maddison anyone?

Because we have a big wage bill and a squad full of dross that needs trimming ?

One of those where I honestly don't know anything about him and haven't seen him kick a ball. £3m seems modest enough and British 22 year olds are never going to decrease in value tbh. Look forward to seeing what he can do when he gets his chances

2 minutes ago, midds said:

One of those where I honestly don't know anything about him and haven't seen him kick a ball. £3m seems modest enough and British 22 year olds are never going to decrease in value tbh. Look forward to seeing what he can do when he gets his chances

I thought he was 22 as well for some reason, but he just turned 21 a couple of months ago.

8 minutes ago, Scotty66 said:

Making our home grown players list a lot stronger with this lad and Gordon. Foundations for the future are being well and truly laid :clap:

I love how much of a British spine the squad has (PFM mode from here like [emoji38])

34 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

One query I have is the flip side of that: he’s leaving West Ham, as I understand it, due to lack of first team opportunities. There aren’t going to be many here in the short-term beyond rotation and injuries to trippier.

We are going to be in Europe and want to compete for every cup.

Trippier is already knackered