Haunting misses

Superior Acuña

I don't think there's already a thread on this? I'd been thinking of haunting moments, or particularly misses recently, then @MrRaspberryJam just posted about Gary Speed v Marseille in another thread. What misses haunt people, you think about when you can't sleep - bad misses in important games, shots that were agonizingly close etc.

One less obvious one that comes to my mind is Papiss Cissé away at Benfica in the last 16 of the Europa. He'd already put us 1-0 up before half time and in the second half we were shooting towards our fans (I was there), as I remember he broke through and dinked it over the keeper. It looked like it was going in, it felt like so long, we were in those milliseconds before you break into celebration and things'd have gone mental (2 up, 2 away goals, away at Benfica, looking like going to the QF). I was sure. But it hit the post... Gutted, robbed of that moment we were almost already in.

Edited by Inferior Acuña

John Dahl Thomason at home to Sheff Wed on his debut, was on fire pre season and looked like the real deal. Clean through fluffed it and never the same player again. Much more suited to being a number 10 though and club fucked up selling Ferdinand in pre season. What might have been with this guy.

Shearer's late missed pen v Wolves in the last home game of 2003/04 is another, for its significance. It contributed to a very sour end to that season, when the team was booed off and it helped us miss out on the CL. That negativity surely played a big part in Bobby's sacking a few games into the next season, and the mess that unfolded.

Off the top of my head:

Gazza vs Germany in Euro 96

Rashford's penalty last year 

Paul Kitson vs (I think) Forest in 94/95 stuck with me for ages after

Shaka somehow not saving either of Fenton's tame finishes, including palming one of them into the net

3 minutes ago, bowlingcrofty said:

The referee missing the fact the ball was moving when the free kick was taken for Poyet’s first in the semi.

Not that I’m bitter, 22 years later.

I was just thinking about this when that match was brought up, probably played a part in my hatred for Chelsea 

2 minutes ago, Pokerprince2004 said:

Still think about that shot from Shearer in the FA Cup final which hit the post. Still might have lost but who knows... 

Good shout. You’d back him to score that chance too. And tbh, even if we’d still lost, the moment would’ve been unforgettable.

All of the missed chances in the first half of the Man U home game 95/96 season.

If any one of them had gone in and we draw, we win the title, the rest of the season would have been so different.

Edited by bigfella

This is a good one, because it was already as part of a famous win, but Batty's missed lob in the 5-0 against Man United. 

Probably our best move of the match, which included Ginola sending Gary Neville for a hot dog, by imo the man of the match and not long before Albert's chip. It could have been a 6-0 and Batty could have been a more well-known part of that match. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

16 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

John Dahl Thomason at home to Sheff Wed on his debut, was on fire pre season and looked like the real deal. Clean through fluffed it and never the same player again. Much more suited to being a number 10 though and club fucked up selling Ferdinand in pre season. What might have been with this guy.

I mentioned that one to my two sons on Saturday after Isak's missed chance.

Every new striker has a John Dahl moment when they break from half way.

Andreas Anderson fluffed his.

Bellamy missed a few but got better.

Miggy missed a few and never made those runs again.

I'm sure Isak will be fine but my heart did sink!

Edited by RobsonsWonderland

Heh, wasn't aware of the discussion in the other thread and the Speed Marseille one immediately sprung to mind when I saw this thread title. Pretty sure I celebrated that as a goal, couldn't believe it didn't go in. 

Nolan nearly got us a fifth in the 4-4 game. Can imagine that was agonising for those watching it.