Garang Kuol (on loan at FC Volendam)

Johnny

Just now, TorchyTBB said:

I think my expectation level was far too high, but he looks miles away from what I was expecting.  Never mind, he's very young and has plenty of time on his side.

Too early to judge him yet. Hes just turned 18 and is living in a new country with new team mates. Give him time. 

He played 9 games in the Australian league this season, and 9 the season before. Anyone thinking he was going to come to Europe and tear it up immediately is just crazy. It’s a massive culture shock, change in footballing standard, as well as the fact he’s simply barely played in his career thus far, as a young lad. Hopefully he’ll develop well- he’s certainly got some good attributes- but it’s going to take time, patience, as well as application on both his part and that of the club to make sure he’s got a chance of fulfilling his potential. 

7 hours ago, Dokko said:

I agree with you. :lol: We've just got to let it play out, but if its just coming off the bench now and then, we've messed up and we should have had him in a team desperate for him, not just because its convenient.

Though i don't think the difference is that big between Oz & Scottish leagues bar when playing a Glasgow team. Rest are totally shite.

Having watched a lot of both leagues, this is bang on. Take out Celtic and Rangers and most Oz teams would beat most SPL teams. Plus Celtic have been beaten twice on tours to Oz - say what you like about travel and pre-season etc but if they had that much superior quality they'd not get beat.

3 minutes ago, Coastie said:

Plus Celtic have been beaten twice on tours to Oz - say what you like about travel and pre-season etc but if they had that much superior quality they'd not get beat.

Means fuck all. Plenty of big teams lose in pre season against supposedly much smaller teams. 2006, Real Madrid lost to Plymouth Argyle for fucks sake. Hibernian beat Arsenal only a year or two ago, and Man City lost to Dundee. Juventus drew with Notts County too.

4 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Means fuck all. Plenty of big teams lose in pre season against supposedly much smaller teams. 2006, Real Madrid lost to Plymouth Argyle for fucks sake. Hibernian beat Arsenal only a year or two ago, and Man City lost to Dundee. Juventus drew with Notts County too.

Maybe. The rest of my point stands.

6 hours ago, Manxst said:

He played 9 games in the Australian league this season, and 9 the season before. Anyone thinking he was going to come to Europe and tear it up immediately is just crazy. It’s a massive culture shock, change in footballing standard, as well as the fact he’s simply barely played in his career thus far, as a young lad. Hopefully he’ll develop well- he’s certainly got some good attributes- but it’s going to take time, patience, as well as application on both his part and that of the club to make sure he’s got a chance of fulfilling his potential. 

Agreed, one for the future.

What did the scouting team see in him that made them go for him?

They must have seen some special attributes in him, does he have pace, movement?

1 hour ago, Coastie said:

Having watched a lot of both leagues, this is bang on. Take out Celtic and Rangers and most Oz teams would beat most SPL teams. Plus Celtic have been beaten twice on tours to Oz - say what you like about travel and pre-season etc but if they had that much superior quality they'd not get beat.

Miles off it. SPL is definitely a step up. Even been used as a stepping stone for Aussie players these days to get a bigger move. The standard has even went up in the last few years I’d say watching most weeks. Hearts are actually a team very much on the up and gave a good account in Europe this season and with the right squad possibly challenge the Old Firm. Be difficult for Kuol to actually get a game but if he can get in the team I have no doubts he’ll do very well but be a much better physical learning curve. 

Horrible pitch to play on and watch at livi having done both and won’t have been easy for him in his first proper run out.

8 hours ago, Coastie said:

Absolute rubbish. 

Edited by gdm

5 hours ago, gdm said:

Absolute rubbish. 

I forgive you your ignorance.

Australia, rated 27 in the world, just came officially 11th at the World Cup and were only Garang Kuol's shot away from taking Argentina (eventual champions) into extra time in the round of 16. The squad featured plenty of A League players and almost everyone (bar Jackson Irvine, I think) has played in the AL.

Could Scotland (ranked 42) or any SPL eleven have done as well?

I don't think so.

In fairness, the leagues are hard to compare as they are played in such different conditions, but there is plenty of quality in the AL and plenty more hungry young players looking for gigs in Europe. So next time you want to patronise the AL just reflect on this and... frankly, give credit where it's due.