Garang Kuol (on loan at FC Volendam)

Johnny

Just saw that Hamilton vs Hearts in the Cup is live on the BBC platform (BBC Scotland, iPlayer, website etc.) on Friday night. Not only does it have a bit of a classic cup tie feel about it, there's possibly a decent chance that both Kuol and Dylan Stephenson will start for their respective sides.

(Hamilton are also live on the BBC platform tonight in a lesser cup against Queen of the South).

On 06/02/2023 at 09:11, EdinburghKuol said:

I meant to reply to this, Yorkie. 

As a Hearts fan (or Aberdeen, or Hibs) you go into almost every season thinking this'll be the one. What is now known as "doing a Leicester". Unfortunately Celtic have a really talented manager so we are waiting for him to move on. Was the same story with Brendan Rogers. You really want at least one of the OF to be going through a 'transition' phase and hoping you have the season of your lives. We were a couple of games away in 1997/98, we were top of the league for a long time in 05/06 (eventually splitting the OF for first time in years - before Rangers admin) and we were top at christmas a few years back for a bit. Hearts have gone through their own struggles - almost dying and being relegated twice. This is the first time in 30 years where we are on a sustainable financial footing, with lots of revenue and consecutive european group stage football available.

If there was ever a time for a footballer to be joining Heart of Midlothian Football Club it is now. Snodgrass and our director of football Joe Savage have both made noises about consolidating 3rd and looking in front of us rather than behind us. Like Newcastle, the holy grail is the league and we believe one day it will come. But we just don't know when. As always we are all at the mercy of the machinations of global finance right now. Though we look like we will be in a great position if the sands start to shift. 

I remember you falling away in 97/98 - it was a really good side Jefferies assembled.  I can remember watching you lose 3-0 to Rangers with three or four games to go which ended your push - I did want you to win (like most neutrals). Didn’t you win the Scottish Cup that season too?

Edited by TheBrownBottle

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

The season when they won about 9 games in a row, were clear at the top looking great, then sacked Burley for Rix was something else.

That’s right :)

Rix might give Adam Johnson hope for life after the nonce wing.  How the fuck the man continued to find work around young people is baffling

11 hours ago, gbandit said:

Also Lucas de Bolle, no? Basically just a run out for the NUFC reserves 

I didn't even realise he was there, but aye, both start tonight. I might keep half an eye on the match, especially with it being against a reasonably local side (to those further West) in Queen of the South. Probably switch between that and Sheff Utd vs Wrexham on ITV4.

Apologies for those expecting a Kuol update 

Yeah, it's not ideal, especially as that Shankland lad, their main attacker, is suspended. 

Hopefully the Hamilton Newcastle lads do well, and then a chance for Garang to influence the game if he comes on.

I'll probably stick with Birmingham vs West Brom now though. A Steve Bruce regional derby.

For some context guys, the Scottish Cup is our most important games of the season. No chance of winning the league so a Scottish Cup and a Europa League place is up for grabs if we can navigate these next few rounds. 

I don't know if you followed the Darvel V Aberdeen game in the last round but that's weighing heavily on a few SPFL sides - we've put out a very senior team (older lads I mean). Snodgrass, Kingsley, Smith etc..

I'd be shocked if Kuol didn't get 30-45 minutes so the game is definitely worth tuning into.

I look forward to the harsh judgement of Scottish football on here ;D. Playing a team a couple of leagues below in windy conditions on astroturf with only 3 stands. 

Not the best advert but it is what it is. :) 

Kuol will get decent minutes the night :icon_salut:

Edited by EdinburghKuol

A lot of Hearts fans are keen on keeping Kuol next season with a view to making him a regular starter. So he's made a nice impression on his brief cameos so far. 

For a kid who just landed from Australia 3-4 weeks ago, that is good going as our fans can be very demanding. But if we see a player in someone we'll give them lots of support.

Edited by EdinburghKuol

Aye it is a bit mad that we're expecting a kid who barely started in his own country to start every game in Scotland. All about adapting to the UK this season for me. Wouldn't be a bad move sending him back next year and getting some European football experience and increased minutes.

I know he scored a wonder goal the other day, and may well be a bit of a cult figure up there (and might bang them in tonight), but when he's seemingly behind a 25 year old career League One striker who, in turn, was well down the pecking order at struggling Wigan this season, the situation doesn't look great on the naked eye.

Humphrys has found himself down the pecking order with the Latics and opted to join Robbie Neilson’s squad as Hearts compete in the Premiership and in Europe.

Mind, as mentioned above, he was obviously primarily used as a sub at CCM, and if that's what Eddie and the team were half expecting from this stint, then fair enough.

43 minutes ago, Paullow said:

I know he scored a wonder goal the other day, and may well be a bit of a cult figure up there (and might bang them in tonight), but when he's seemingly behind a 25 year old career League One striker who, in turn, was well down the pecking order at struggling Wigan this season, the situation doesn't look great on the naked eye.

Humphrys has found himself down the pecking order with the Latics and opted to join Robbie Neilson’s squad as Hearts compete in the Premiership and in Europe.

Mind, as mentioned above, he was obviously primarily used as a sub at CCM, and if that's what Eddie and the team were half expecting from this stint, then fair enough.

Excuse my bad reading comprehension. Would be a bit harsh to drop the boy, no? 

For those who didn't see it:

This is what Humphrys did when he came on as a substitute. That's the standard to reach.

Edited by EdinburghKuol

Sorry guys, I thought he would've got some minutes tonight. Plenty more games yet but I can understand the frustration. 

Bear in mind this is the first game he hasn't got any minutes on the park since he arrived from Oz. 

If he moved to a club in turmoil, badly organised, relegation threatened then he'd prob be one of the first names on team sheet. but he's joined a stable club, performing at a high level with lots of competition. He's definitely in and about it though. Few of us Hearts fans thought he'd get a start the night, so a bit unlucky.

Regarding Humphrys - he's also been a sub for us but has been doing so well off the bench that Maloney tried to recall him in January but he wasn't allowed to due to the terms of the deal.

Edited by EdinburghKuol