Garang Kuol (on loan at FC Volendam)

Johnny

On 24/05/2023 at 23:18, DoricGinola said:

Can do much better elsewhere 

It's a bit tricky. Thinking about it, I can see the difficulty in taking a lad who has played first team football (albeit at a lower level) and for his national team at a World Cup and putting him with the youth team. On the other hand, he hasn't had enough game time at Hearts. 

My hunch is that he's more in need of coaching than first team experience at this stage. Either way, I'm sure Eddie will make the right call.

I’d actually keep him with the team until the January window. We’ll have lots of PL games, Carabao and the CL. Eddie spending quality time coaching him and then having the potential to cause chaos as an impact sub, think LuaLua under Sir Bobby.

By the end of this season Kuol will have played somewhere in the region of 30 games across his first two years of football. LuaLua had played 61 for Colchester at an equivalent stage but not national team at a World Cup.

Edited by Nucasol
Update

2 hours ago, Nucasol said:

I’d actually keep him with the team until the January window. We’ll have lots of PL games, Carabao and the CL. Eddie spending quality time coaching him and then having the potential to cause chaos as an impact sub, think LuaLua under Sir Bobby.

By the end of this season Kuol will have played somewhere in the region of 30 games across his first two years of football. LuaLua had played 61 for Colchester at an equivalent stage but not national team at a World Cup.

Based on Howe's comments he'll be sent on loan again and I think that is the right move

He needs to be playing football and by staying around, as valuable as it could be he won't get anywhere near enough minutes

A loan until January makes sense, then reviewed to see what the next step should be 

18 minutes ago, Smal said:

Scored in their last game, didn't get off the bench in today's. Make it make sense. 

They were down to 10 men after 25 mins and hanging on for a draw to be fair

51 minutes ago, Smal said:

Scored in their last game, didn't get off the bench in today's. Make it make sense. 

A draw and they secured qualification for Europe. As has been said they were down to 10 men after 25 mins. It would have been the opposite of sense to bring a striker on when the draw suited them. 

On 26/05/2023 at 07:23, Cronky said:

It's a bit tricky. Thinking about it, I can see the difficulty in taking a lad who has played first team football (albeit at a lower level) and for his national team at a World Cup and putting him with the youth team. On the other hand, he hasn't had enough game time at Hearts. 

My hunch is that he's more in need of coaching than first team experience at this stage. Either way, I'm sure Eddie will make the right call.

IMO ‘coaching’ is only useful for learning specific managers tactics. And even useful things from there require matches to learn in the right environment.  

4 hours ago, Mag3.14 said:

Aye, send him down to Joey Barton, worked out well for us with Anderson going there 

How much of that was Barton, and how much was Ameobi sending him to too low a level? Anderson was easily Championship level. 

Garang should have had a bit more game time but I'm not convinced (the now sacked) Robbie Neilson was too keen.

Says a lot more about the latter, btw.

He did well in the short bursts he did get. Great first touch and very quick.

I'd take him back at Heart of Midlothian next season but it would appear to be a non-starter.

He's only 18, new to the UK and will, I'm sure, turn out to be a fine signing for Newcastle United in time.

All the best in the Champions League next season and the quest for that elusive silverware.

The High Performance podcast with Paul Barber was interesting as he discussed what made David Weir suitable as a loan manager before he then replaced Ashworth in his role. When looking at a loan move for the player they consider the style of the team, environment and the opportunity it would afford that player. They ideally what similar to what they do at Brighton so that when they return they can seamlessly reintegrate.

We've sent players to Hearts, Hamilton, Exeter, Peterborough and then some of the players we couldn't sell to Norwich, Reading and Sheff United. It might be one for those Twitter analysts to look at the team metrics in Portugal, Belgium, Championship, League 1 and other leagues deemed suitable to see which clubs match our style of play on progressive passing and high intensity press. We'd at least be putting some thought into their development rather than just sending them to a former player of the club.

For Kuol it might be worth spending a season with a club like Coventry or Middlesbrough who generally should be playing at the top end of the league.

On 28/05/2023 at 20:33, Optimistic Nut said:

I'd get him with the U21s next season for the first-half, let us have a proper look at him, then in January send him out. We'll have a better idea then what level he's at and where to send him. 

Probably what should've happened this season but I gather he was keen to play with some Aussie mates to help settle in to the UK.

Delighted to see the Toon back in the Champions League by the way.

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Coastie said:

Set up two goals today in a 3-2 win for Australia under 23s over a Mediterranean Selection... whoever the fuck they are. 

Sounds like a seafood platter. Maybe some olives. 

On 27/05/2023 at 23:40, Optimistic Nut said:

How much of that was Barton, and how much was Ameobi sending him to too low a level? Anderson was easily Championship level. 

Aye, I heard he had plans to send Isak to Raith Rovers when he heard we had signed a young Swedish striker.