Garang Kuol (on loan at FC Volendam)

Johnny

9 minutes ago, OverThere said:

They were 5-0 up and that is the reason??

At least we have some information we can scrutinise for accuracy :lol: Before now it's been total radio silence.

4 minutes ago, AJ9 said:

Tbf to Hearts it sounds like he’s been absolutely shite in training.

Aye, sounds like it:

“His application in training throughout this period has been praised. Kuol is participating in one-to-one coaching alongside regular Hearts training, and has his own nutritionist — even if Naismith wonders whether his charge is trying too hard.

“He’s probably the last off the training pitch, which is great to see. At times he probably is doing too much close to games, just in case he’s needed. But it’s because he’s got a hunger to learn.””

Think people are making excuses for Hearts to be honest. It’s their club and they’ve had a change of manager, but the article mentions they gave a very detailed presentation to Kuol and Newcastle representatives about how they’d develop him and where he’d play. Nobody forced them to take Kuol, in fact we had plenty of loan options to pick from.

They simply haven’t delivered on what they’ve promised. He’s not even getting minutes when they’re 6-0 up with 30 minutes to go.

Edited by TheInfiniteOdyssey

The article also mentions that one reason Hearts were chosen is that it is easy for Shola to get the train up and watch Kuol play. Wonder how often that’s happened….

What a proper head of players loans would ask of a potential loanee’s club:

Is it in a suitable location for the player in question?  What’s their training ground and facilities like?  What is the current atmosphere like around the club & on a match day?  What’s their manager’s personality?  How secure is his job?  What’s his footballing philosophy?  Does he blood youngsters?  Does he have a track record of doing that successfully?  Which players play in the player’s position and how likely is our youngster to get ahead of them?  What is the standard of the league they’re in?  Have they given assurances on game time?

Shola’s questions:

Is their ground less than two hours drive back yerm? … and that’s it. 

Edited by TheBrownBottle

19 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Think people are making excuses for Hearts to be honest. It’s their club and they’ve had a change of manager, but the article mentions they gave a very detailed presentation to Kuol and Newcastle representatives about how they’d develop him and where he’d play. Nobody forced them to take Kuol, in fact we had plenty of loan options to pick from.

They simply haven’t delivered on what they’ve promised. He’s not even getting minutes when they’re 6-0 up with 30 minutes to go.

They don’t have to do us any favours nor Kuol - they have a responsibility to do what’s best for their club.  They’ve judged that he’s not good enough at present to play.  That doesn’t mean that they signed him with that expectation - they see the lad in training every day. 

7 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

What a proper head of players loans would ask of a potential loanee’s club:

Is it in a suitable location for the player in question?  What’s their training ground and facilities like?  What is the current atmosphere like around the club & on a match day?  What’s their manager’s personality?  How secure is his job?  What’s his footballing philosophy?  Does he blood youngsters?  Does he have a track record of doing that successfully?  Which players play in the player’s position and how likely is our youngster to get ahead of them?  What is the standard of the league they’re in?  Have they given assurances on game time?

Shola’s questions:

Is their ground less than two hours drive back yerm? … and that’s it. 

Think that’s harsh. As the article says they gave a detailed presentation on how they plan to develop him. And it hasn’t worked out the way they said it would. 

I mean not giving the lad some minutes while 6-0 up is pretty criminal. Theoretically this was a good move that at the time made sense. Which I think a lot of people on here agreed with.

3 minutes ago, TRC said:

At the time it was pretty unanimous this was a good move for him, we can't blame Shola now it hasnt worked.

:thup: I've no qualms saying the move looked like it made sense and I gave the board credit for what seemed to be a well thought out loan.

I still don't really believe Shola really makes the decisions anyway, I imagine he's effectively doing administrative duties and will end up nothing but a club ambassador in the near future. As such, I'm not going to suddenly say it's a Shola fuck up just because it's not gone very well.

3 hours ago, Manxst said:

Aye, sounds like it:

“His application in training throughout this period has been praised. Kuol is participating in one-to-one coaching alongside regular Hearts training, and has his own nutritionist — even if Naismith wonders whether his charge is trying too hard.

“He’s probably the last off the training pitch, which is great to see. At times he probably is doing too much close to games, just in case he’s needed. But it’s because he’s got a hunger to learn.””

I think this could be read both ways no? That he is putting a shift in but is still way off the pace in terms of what is needed to start games OR that he’s doing well I training and is ultimately not being used effectively. My point was more like the first option, like maybe he’s putting the effort in but is like a fish out of water / miles off the pace and looks a bit shite. Hearts may have had some shite managers but again to be fair they have done well in terms of player development recently so they might actually know what they’re talking about. It’s possible he’s just not as good as everyone says…

Edit - regardless, it has been a waste of time for all concerned and we should really be looking at our loan system 

Edited by AJ9

Just read that a decision has already been made about a full season loan for next year. Hope it's not back at Hearts.

I'd prefer to see him in a technical league like Netherlands or Germany but if he's only there for a year the language would be an extra barrier. League 1 or Championship would be my choice.

I think Hearts not giving him minutes is a missed opportunity for them. They could have built a good relationship with us and could have got more talent on loan in the future. Don’t think that will happen now.

11 minutes ago, Coastie said:

Just read that a decision has already been made about a full season loan for next year. Hope it's not back at Hearts.

I'd prefer to see him in a technical league like Netherlands or Germany but if he's only there for a year the language would be an extra barrier. League 1 or Championship would be my choice.

If they miss out on promotion I would say SAFC would be a shout. Very young team and play decent football. 

I know Naismith has come in and wants to use his players which will be there next season and hes obviously under no obligation to play him but it does seem short-sighted to not give him any minutes. Especially in games when they're 6-0 up like. You'd think Hearts would want a decent relationship with Newcastle, given our trajectory, the likelihood of us having a lot more talent to send out on loan and their proximity to us. 

Send a youngun to Hibs next time.