Garang Kuol (on loan at FC Volendam)

Johnny

5 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

It's a two way thing though. He was getting a few starts and more sub apps to begin with. If they've then watched him, seen him train and don't think he's ready, why should they flog a dead horse? 

One start. Against Rangers and in centre midfield.

Just now, Paullow said:

One start. Against Rangers and in centre midfield.

And he'd only ever made 3 senior starts before moving to the UK and that was in his own environment. You think he'd all of a sudden step up to a tougher league in a different country and all of a sudden be playing week-in, week-out? 

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

And he'd only ever made 3 senior starts before moving to the UK and that was in his own environment. You think he'd all of a sudden step up to a tougher league in a different country and all of a sudden be playing week-in, week-out? 

I was just correcting your post, which wrongly made the situation sound better than it was. They'll obviously know far more than us, and he probably isn't ready, but if he did actually have a 'few starts' against some of the St Johnstone's, Ross County's etc. in his natural position he could have been a lot further forward than one solitary start against one of the best 2 sides in the league, in an unorthodox position.

5 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Make no mistake about it; the SPL is a big step up from the A League.  And the PL is a massive step up from that.

Not sure if serious...

Two teams in the SPL (one and a half really) are superior to the A League average standard, the rest would get flogged by the best few AL teams. Kuol's former team just came second in the league to Melbourne City (CFG) who are by miles the best club. The Mariners play excellent football and it's a real shame GK didn't stay there for another year on loan under an outstanding young coach (ex Blades midfielder) who is 100% EPL bound.

• 3 weeks later...

Kid hasn't had any minutes since the 11th of March, if I'm correct. Bench again tonight.

Hard to argue he wouldn't have been better off here actually playing every week for the u21s, and probably doing abit of training with the first team now and again, get to know everyone around the club, and so on.

Instead he's in Scotland basically doing fuck all, getting close to no game time.

As it stands, due to how this loan went and who is currently in charge of that area, I'd rather he stayed with us next season.

Just now, madras said:

By sending him to the Scottish Premier?

By sending him to a team that was stacked with options in his preferred position - including a Japanese international they signed two days before Kuol joined on loan. 

You’re placing serious expectations on a player to break into that and hold his role. That’s fine if we are sending Elliot Anderson, but Garang hadn’t played many full games in the A-League to start with. Throw in a new culture, a better level, and that’s a significant change for someone that needs consistency. Hearts owe us nothing so as soon as he didn’t show early on he was going to be a bench option.

Just now, Viana said:

By sending him to a team that was stacked with options in his preferred position - including a Japanese international they signed two days before Kuol joined on loan. 

You’re placing serious expectations on a player to break into that and hold his role. That’s fine if we are sending Elliot Anderson, but Garang hadn’t played many full games in the A-League to start with. Throw in a new culture, a better level, and that’s a significant change for someone that needs consistency. Hearts owe us nothing so as soon as he didn’t show early on he was going to be a bench option.

I thought he was going to acclimatise with some players he knew from the national team, be a squad player and build himself up. Which didn't look too off until the manager got sacked.

36 minutes ago, madras said:

I thought he was going to acclimatise with some players he knew from the national team, be a squad player and build himself up. Which didn't look too off until the manager got sacked.

Absolutely this. 

2 hours ago, madras said:

Don’t get me wrong; there were positives about the deal that clearly lead Shola to strike it. 

At the same time, this is where Shola should be performing the due diligence and evaluating if there’s actually enough minutes to go around. 

Hearts were out of Europe by the time he joined so it’s not like he could have got minutes there either. Thankfully it’s one six month spell, but I’d be surprised if Shola

is in the job much longer. If he does stay I think it’ll be with significantly more involvement from higher ups.