Garang Kuol (on loan at FC Volendam)

Johnny

2 hours ago, HTT II said:

Shearer being Shearer turned up that fateful day and no-one wanted to go in goal so he volunteered and was apparently a decent ‘keeper at the time for his age, 15m quid later…

From what I heard, the old "Shearer went for a trial at Newcastle and they put him in goal" story is funny, but only true on a technicality.

Yes Shearer played for a while in goal, but so did everyone, because there wasn't anyone who was a dedicated goalie in that group. So they all took a turn, but just for a few minutes. Shearer played in his correct position for most of the trial.

2 hours ago, Chris_R said:

From what I heard, the old "Shearer went for a trial at Newcastle and they put him in goal" story is funny, but only true on a technicality.

Yes Shearer played for a while in goal, but so did everyone, because there wasn't anyone who was a dedicated goalie in that group. So they all took a turn, but just for a few minutes. Shearer played in his correct position for most of the trial.

I was also told that it was a regular thing to see if the kids would take a strop etc.

3 hours ago, Peppe said:

What does "agreed :icon_scratch:in principle" mean? It's kind of done, but not really? Can he fuck off somewhere else or is the deal in principle binding? :icon_scratch:

You'd have to see the exact wording to have an idea. A contract to have a contract is not really a contract. It would also depend of FIFA/UEFA rules regarding contracting outside the windows.

That said, it does seem to happen a bit, so must have some kind of standing.

47 minutes ago, NWMag said:

If true it'll be interesting to see where he goes on loan.  It would  hopefully be a club to bring him on, that we have good relations with for his development,  maybe clubs with a similar ideology if not reach.

4 hours ago, madras said:

If true it'll be interesting to see where he goes on loan.  It would  hopefully be a club to bring him on, that we have good relations with for his development,  maybe clubs with a similar ideology if not reach.

I’d heard his older brother is at Stuttgart, this could be a possibility.

1 hour ago, FloydianMag said:

I’d heard his older brother is at Stuttgart, this could be a possibility.

Be hard on the brother (four years older). He's already had to watch Garang go past him in the Oz NT set up and then he'd be sitting on teh bench hearing the crowd sing his brother's name.

Mind you, I hear they're very close and that when Stuttgart signed Alou he told them: "You've signed the wrong Kuol. Garang is better than me."

2 minutes ago, Coastie said:

Be hard on the brother (four years older). He's already had to watch Garang go past him in the Oz NT set up and then he'd be sitting on teh bench hearing the crowd sing his brother's name.

Mind you, I hear they're very close and that when Stuttgart signed Alou he told them: "You've signed the wrong Kuol. Garang is better than me."

I like the recent interview after his Oz debut when he says he called his brother and said "what happened mate?" in a strong Australian accent regarding beating him to the NT.

I associate the Australian accent with white blokes, blonde hair and hats with corks that I was surprised when he spoke. Proper Aussie lad.

Welcome aboard. Calling it now, best player to come out of Australia.

8 minutes ago, STM said:

I associate the Australian accent with white blokes, blonde hair and hats with corks that I was surprised when he spoke. Proper Aussie lad.

Welcome aboard. Calling it now, best player to come out of Australia.

Thanks for clearing that up about his accent. I thought they’d gotten Ricky Ponting to do the voiceover