Newcastle United 1-1 Bournemouth (17/08/2022)

jack j

We huffed and puffed but the management settled for mid-table when they didn’t bring in the inventive players we need in attack. Bournemouth snuffed us out and there was no-one to take a grip in the final third. Most passes outside the box were ‘I’m not sure what to do here, you have it’ followed by a hopeful punt. We lack ‘door openers’. Trippier did well holding that high position on the right.

Right winger to get Almiron out of the team.

Central midfielder to get Willock out of the team.

Left winger because similar to Wilson ASM is a luxury we will not be able to rely on due to fitness issues.

Until these three things happen, it's going to be a painfully annoying season.

4 minutes ago, ikri said:

Simply not good enough but then we always seem to struggle against teams who set up to defend against us.

We don't have enough of the top tier quality to unlock the defences like today.

The whole game had the energy sapped out of the crowd and players with the minutes silence and lack of music/atmosphere. Our players were decidedly poor regardless and a bit more worryingly not as motivated. There is a borderline between being patient and calm and just going nowhere. Likewise being overcommited and losing the ball and paying for it. We were in the Grey area of shitness of both today. 

We need another 3/4 quality players to really push on. 

Real shame Anderson was injured, this could have been his game off the bench. 

Let's hope Jonjo is back soon. I can't handle more of willock he is one of the minority that has gone backwards under Howe. I just don't think he can handle the rigorous instructions he is given and looked better under Bruce who basically just told him to go out and play.

Almiron just can't play out right anymore. Every team can handle him and know he is a right winger. 

Poor result/performance but the squad is so weak outside the first team. Especially in attacking areas. It was one of the reasons why I was disappointed we didn’t add another winger. 

People are expecting way too much though. We’re clearly in a transitional stage and we’re dominating games unlike last season but aren’t clinical enough. I guess a bit like Brighton last year. 

Just wondered where all the ASM haters who wanted him dropped are at now he’s had a run out of the team?

Edited by St1pe

Can our guys like Maxi Wilson and Anderson stay fucking fit. I’m sick of always trying to say “if we had X fit…” and If we can’t rely on them to do need to sign players who aren’t injured 30% of the season 

1 minute ago, toontownman said:

We don't have enough of the top tier quality to unlock the defences like today.

The whole game had the energy sapped out of the crowd and players with the minutes silence and lack of music/atmosphere. Our players were decidedly poor regardless and a bit more worryingly not as motivated. There is a borderline between being patient and calm and just going nowhere. Likewise being overcommited and losing the ball and paying for it. We were in the Grey area of shitness of both today. 

We need another 3/4 quality players to really push on. 

Real shame Anderson was injured, this could have been his game off the bench. 

Let's hope Jonjo is back soon. I can't handle more of willock he is one of the minority that has gone backwards under Howe. I just don't think he can handle the rigorous instructions he is given and looked better under Bruce who basically just told him to go out and play.

Almiron just can't play out right anymore. Every team can handle him and know he is a right winger. 

Pretty much what I said, absolutely agree 

1 minute ago, Novocastrian said:

We huffed and puffed but the management settled for mid-table when they didn’t bring in the inventive players we need in attack. Bournemouth snuffed us out and there was no-one to take a grip in the final third. Most passes outside the box were ‘I’m not sure what to do here, you have it’ followed by a hopeful punt. We lack ‘door openers’. Trippier did well holding that high position on the right.

They’ve spent upwards of £150m in first year and have 14 years of neglect to put right and you say they’re settled for mid table????

please don’t do that - this is why people label us as delusional

It was a bad result and there’s not much else you can say about it. But no wins in six now is starting to cause concern if we’re to push top 8 or so. The lack of quality in our squad is really starting to show too, too many Championship players like Murphy and Wood sniffing about.

The start of October to the World Cup is massive for us and we simply have to turn these draws into wins. If Wilson gets injured again in that time buy another forward in January and sell him off because I don’t want to be seeing Wood coming on again. Harsh on him of course but if we’d another decent striker he could have come on earlier in the game and done something but we’ve absolutely nothing. 

Edited by Decky

2 minutes ago, Beren said:

Can't believe people are calling that "shit". I know for a fact you've all watched season after season of actual shit, and you know pinning a team back like that for 80 minutes isn't it!

NUFC didn’t pin them back, Bournemouth played scorched Earth football and surrendered about 75% of the pitch.  

Very few teams are gonna come to our ground and play open, only really Man City have done it so far and we gave them all they could handle and absolutely nobody was complaining that day. That was without Isak as well. Shocker of a result today honestly but so many factors that led to it. Our midfield is well short of the quality needed and that is obvious and will be addressed, going mental at a disappointing draw against a well-drilled team who came for exactly that, gets us nowhere man.

Edited by LionOfGosforth

1 minute ago, Beren said:

Can't believe people are calling that "shit". I know for a fact you've all watched season after season of actual shit, and you know pinning a team back like that for 80 minutes isn't it!

73% possession.

20 shots (7 on target).

8 corners.

It's actually a really good performance as far as having enough of the ball in the right areas to win the game. And this is what makes all of this incredibly annoying. There are key players that are letting us down badly in forward areas.

I hope this result causes Howe to shake things up. Even with the current players available, both Almiron and Willock have to go. They are unbelievably poor.

2 minutes ago, St1pe said:

Poor result/performance but the squad is so weak outside the first team outside of the first team. Especially in attacking areas. It was one of the reasons why I was disappointed we didn’t add another winger. 

People are expecting way too much though. We’re clearly in a transitional stage and we’re dominating games unlike last season but aren’t clinical enough. I guess a bit like Brighton last year. 

Just wondered where all the ASM haters who wanted him dropped are at now he’s had a run out of the team?

I admit I was one of those haters but not now - I was wrong

Just now, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

In the Town Wall now with a pint of Juice Springsteen. What a honking pile of shite that was. Evident more than ever we needed a winger/wingers. Fuck knows what Anderson must be thinking seeing those two clowns start ahead of him and an even bigger clown get on before he does.

Anderson was unavailable today

Just now, Aiston said:

It makes a mockery of people rating our transfer window so highly when we have to resort to Wood, Murphy and Longstaff every game.

We’d have needed to spend another £150m minimum to get the squad sorted.  We definitely need more quality, but I’m not sure how much money people think is available.

So far, only Wood has been a bad signing. 

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

We’d have needed to spend another £150m minimum to get the squad sorted.  We definitely need more quality, but I’m not sure how much money people think is available.

So far, only Wood has been a bad signing. 

No we wouldn't. We don't always need to sign players for the first 11.

It cannot be much to get better than those three.