Newcastle United 1-1 Bournemouth (17/08/2022)

jack j

3 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

Bit toys out of the pram but already a bit bored by this season. Already feels massively like a transition season where we're nailed on for midtable. Just hoping we can have a good go at the cup competitions tbh.

We're in an awkward position now where teams are coming to SJP and treating us like a big club and looking to frustrate to get a draw. But we still have an Ashley squad in terms of attacking options so are easily held at arm's length.

Today was the first really bad result Eddie's had since the Watford and Cambridge debacles.

It's not just that the players are Ashley era quality either but style too. Players like Almiron, Murphy, Fraser, even Saint-Maximin were all bought for a team that plays by defending deep and breaking quickly with pace, and they're all actually pretty good at that, even Murphy. Really not a surprise that they look so poor trying to break down a deep defence. 

3 hours ago, Klaus said:

Not a dig at you, but I don't think Bournemouth are as shite as some seem to be rating them. They started today level on points with us and had won more games :lol:

I just couldn't believe how defensively they set up, like they were playing Man City.

Tbf they kept their shape and kept mistakes to a minimum. I've seen a lot worse and they scored a decent goal.

1 hour ago, Wullie said:

It's not just that the players are Ashley era quality either but style too. Players like Almiron, Murphy, Fraser, even Saint-Maximin were all bought for a team that plays by defending deep and breaking quickly with pace, and they're all actually pretty good at that, even Murphy. Really not a surprise that they look so poor trying to break down a deep defence. 

Totally agree. We now control games and have to break the opponents down rather than the other way around. We had more space going forward then and even then those players (ASM included) often didn't play well. Now it requires more, or perhaps less - like crossing, which none of them bar Fraser can do either. 

Were controlling games as a team and gameplan but individual ability is lacking. Its about as much as can be asked  of the manager with what he has.

We needed more to move forward on the second half of last seasons form. Couple loans would have made a world of difference.

Edited by Wolfcastle

4 hours ago, Numbers said:

Really disapointing to see some 'Fans' saying Howes been found out and calling for his head on Youtube Live Fan Reaction Accounts, its proper Knee Jerk shite.

Just embarrassing. 

8 hours ago, maze said:

When everyone is fit I think we are amonst the 10th to 13th best attacking side. The problem is there for everyone to see. We heavily rely on fragile players, and our backups are mid-championship quality at best.
What further makes it all stink is that they are so shit that even if they really tried to put in a decent effort they'd still be way off (ie Murphy). And so, the difference between fielding our best side and well.. where we are now with injuries puts us closer to relegation battling for every injury.

We have been very badly run for years and years. Our squad is paper thin in terms of quality. We can't shift our garbage easily. 

Good post.Murphy,Almiron,Fraser,Longstaff,Willock,and Manquillo.We’re stuck with them until the end of January at the earliest.Let’s say ASM,Shelvey and Wilson return for the Fulham game.That would mean none I’ve mentioned above need to be selected,Our first team eleven,when all fit, be that bad but surely Eddie quickly realised when he arrived that we have no strength in depth so I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt,for now,and say he couldn’t get rid of them last summer.

Creativity was the team's biggest weakness and still is. We had a good window but it was only a partial success because the glaring creativity issue wasn't addressed and was exposed yesterday. As others have said, our attacking players thrive in a counter attacking set up and look clueless when teams sit back. I reckon we will go back in for Maddison or similar targets in January, which usually isn't a buyer's market, but some of our targets might be getting itchy feet then and clubs might need to cash in.

It's a shame Anderson wasn't available because in these types of games we could do with someone keen to take players on, try things out and make things happen.

6 hours ago, Wullie said:

Both great points above, we really struggle to break teams down. I think we’ll see another attacker come in in Jan and by the start of next season the likes of Fraser, Miggy et al won’t be getting a sniff nor will we be relying on Willock as a starter. A creative attacking midfielder and right wing genuine threat would make all the difference but you can’t change everything straight away. 

A lot of our players looked sluggish and flat yesterday. Schar and Targett for example were hitting lazy passes at times too. Bruno’s lack of fitness showed too. 

Our issue is still that we aren’t clinical enough in front of goal. Aside from Isak, Wilson and maybe ASM other players don’t score enough goals. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

26 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

2 points behind 7th. Anyone booing wants shot with shit.

1 defeat in 7 with our best three players out for the majority of those games. That defeat in itself was scandalous so it really should be undefeated in 7. I have no doubt with a fit ASM, Wilson and Bruno that we’d have have won a couple more too.

We’ve got a team that gives absolutely everything in every game. I’ve waited all my life for this. We’ll get incrementally better season on season and it’s great journey to be a part of.

People who are unhappy at the moment need to look where we were 12 months ago and show a bit of respect IMO. Yeah there will be frustrating days but that’s all part and parcel of football. Very few teams are going to come here and roll over to us.

32 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

2 points behind 7th. Anyone booing wants shot with shit.

The booing was largely at the ref where I was sat. It might not have been picked up by the microphones but the crowd were really on his back for constantly giving nothing free kicks to them.

1 hour ago, ExiledGeordie said:

A lot of our players looked sluggish and flat yesterday. Schar and Targett for example were hitting lazy passes at times too. Bruno’s lack of fitness showed too. 

Our issue is still that we aren’t clinical enough in front of goal. Aside from Isak, Wilson and maybe ASM other players don’t score enough goals. 

Agree on Targett, think he has been poor since coming back from injury, hopefully the international break will help.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Agree on Targett, think he has been poor since coming back from injury, hopefully the international break will help.

I think the break helps us to reset things and refocus. We need to get Wilson back fit and I’d hope for something like Isak, Wilson and Anderson v Fulham if ASM is out (he’ll probs still go with Miggy however)

It's like on football manager where you get promoted, everyone underestimates you and you smash em up. About 10 games in sides adapt and sit back and you start to draw and lose niggly games. Before you know it players are unsettled and you start to lose the dressing room. It's adapt or sack.

If you look at our side the wingers are not creative in any way. We need space to attack into and sides are aware of that and are sitting deep. We need some creative quality in central midfield and wide forwards that are not just pace merchants. When Isak was operating from wide left he was threatening because he can beat a man. 

We also need to build up faster in transition. That's where shelveys vision has a massive influence. We just don't have the quality yet to break these sides down. Although trips is an exception, his football brain is incredible. 

We also appear one dimensional. Target almost never crosses the ball, and we are constantly working it to trips with Joe attacking the far post. We need ASM to make the play less predictable.

Finally we need to tighten up at the back, or we are going to be sucjer punched again. Balancing throwing men forward with the quality of the side is really important.

Edited by La Parka

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, for me it’s a transition season.

My realistic view going in to this term was mid table, playing progressive football, bringing in quality signings and ditching the champo plodders. Hopefully have a decent cup run. 

Which is what we’re doing. Repairing the damage caused by the previous regime will take time.

Think where we were this time last year, a shower of absolute shite stinking out the league.

Edited by bobbydazzla

We've improved in every aspect of our play, with the exception of scoring goals. We'll be going into the Fulham game in a really good place if we have Wilson and Anderson back. 

A year ago this would've sounded absolutely mental, but I can't wait for Shelvey's return. Hopefully he's ahead of schedule and pops up not too long after the international break. 

17 minutes ago, NEEJ said:

We've improved in every aspect of our play, with the exception of scoring goals. We'll be going into the Fulham game in a really good place if we have Wilson and Anderson back. 

A year ago this would've sounded absolutely mental, but I can't wait for Shelvey's return. Hopefully he's ahead of schedule and pops up not too long after the international break. 

Yeah, had the same begrudging acceptance yesterday re Shelvey; he walks back into the side atm. 

42 minutes ago, La Parka said:

It's like on football manager where you get promoted, everyone underestimates you and you smash em up. About 10 games in sides adapt and sit back and you start to draw and lose niggly games. Before you know it players are unsettled and you start to lose the dressing room. It's adapt or sack.

If you look at our side the wingers are not creative in any way. We need space to attack into and sides are aware of that and are sitting deep. We need some creative quality in central midfield and wide forwards that are not just pace merchants. When Isak was operating from wide left he was threatening because he can beat a man. 

We also need to build up faster in transition. That's where shelveys vision has a massive influence. We just don't have the quality yet to break these sides down. Although trips is an exception, his football brain is incredible. 

We also appear one dimensional. Target almost never crosses the ball, and we are constantly working it to trips with Joe attacking the far post. We need ASM to make the play less predictable.

Finally we need to tighten up at the back, or we are going to be sucjer punched again. Balancing throwing men forward with the quality of the side is really important.

This was a big one for me yesterday that really frustrated me. I know we like to build from the back and retain possession but the number of times we took the ball back in our third and slowed the pace down allowing them to get back into position was criminal. 

Edited by Mattoon

27 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Yeah, had the same begrudging acceptance yesterday re Shelvey; he walks back into the side atm. 

I've been one of his biggest critics and I'm happy to eat the humble pie on this one.  Get him back in sitting in that deep role and free Bruno up to make things happen further up field.