Newcastle United 1-1 Bournemouth (17/08/2022)

jack j

3 hours ago, WillDanceForChocolate said:

Then the one time he was genuinely fouled he deliberately flicks a boot into the face of the player that hacked him. He was very lucky to get away with that and I've no doubt what would have happened with VAR if it was the other way around.

:spit:

6 hours ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

It's not exactly clear what the short term options are for this sort of game.

I actually don't think we lack bodies in the box very often but movement isn't great. Ergo, I don't think chucking more forward makes sense. Joelinton and Willock show willing in the box so inconsistently.

Botman starting could help a bit with his ability to play from the back and set pieces.

Bruno going further forward might help but he's only had one bit of goalscoring form in his career. Same could be said for Willock mind... Again, it doesn't feel clear-cut difference for me. I actually think Bruno is a great option deeper when we have more of the ball. Shelvey is prone to overplaying it and leaving us open.

Swapping wingers definitely would be beneficial to better delivery, even if just for periods of the game.

Lots of focus on missing ASM yesterday but he's often flattered to deceive against weaker sides. Obviously, he's still a much better option than Fraser. I actually think Wilson is the bigger miss. Of course, he has the ability to win battles and nick goals but I think having him and Isak on the pitch is a must for a match like that to open up more space centrally. I'm just not sure on how to best fit them together. 442? 352? 433?

Playing Almiron on the left and ASM on the right would surely mean earlier and better crosses into the box,not so if Eddie want’s us to keep the ball and hope someone ( Bruno) can thread a ball into the box from a central position.For most of the game we seemed to be finding Almiron with quicker passes than usual but of course his first thought is to get his left foot on the ball and turn away from the goal.

18 hours ago, KaKa said:

Watching the game back again and the number of moves Almiron kills by slowing the game down and passing backwards is unbelievable. He has to be the first person straight out of the team. It's bad enough he can't take a man on in that position but then he never passes forward and is so slow in making decisions. Awful player on that right side. 

I cannot disagree.Is he without a thigh muscle or is the ball too heavy for him to kick it hard.

6 hours ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

I actually don't think we lack bodies in the box very often but movement isn't great. Ergo, I don't think chucking more forward makes sense. Joelinton and Willock show willing in the box so inconsistently.

Like I said [I think] in the Isak thread, it's not about shoving players forward its about drawibg the defence out. When Isak drops deep he brings everybody forward by association, leaving the back four looking at, Fraser, Joelinton, Willock, Almiron and Trippier. And look who has the ball with all those options ahead of him.

It's Bruno

TBH though, we need a left footer getting early crosses from that side, like Trippier on the right. Targett seemed rather subdued in that respect.

Edited by Happinesstan

One thing I am getting frustrated by is our total lack of threat from corners.

Perhaps even more bizarre in that we have Trippier taking them. We never ever look like scoring from them, despite having one of tallest teams in the league. 

4 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Perhaps even more bizarre in that we have Trippier taking them. We never ever look like scoring from them, despite having one of tallest teams in the league. 

We've looked a threat when Botman is in there. He's had at least one chance a game or won a header to create a chance. Burn might as well stay back for corners though.

5 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We've looked a threat when Botman is in there. He's had at least one chance a game or won a header to create a chance. Burn might as well stay back for corners though.

Has lascelles been played with Botman yet? Gonna have to get them on the field together if our attackers don't start scoring.

14 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Lascelles scored from a corner.

12 minutes ago, Weezertron said:

Has lascelles been played with Botman yet? Gonna have to get them on the field together if our attackers don't start scoring.

They were our alternate defensive partnership, in pre season, but I don't think they've started a competitive game together.

Never been on the pitch together in a competitive game.

Edited by Happinesstan

1 hour ago, TheGuv said:

I've mentioned this previously as well, and was told our last couple of goals came from corners. But for all the big men we have in the team, we rarely look dangerous when they all go up for them. Lascelles is a big miss in that regard, he really attacked the corners.

8 minutes ago, Holloway said:

It's weird how the really tall players aren't so dominant in the air. They seem to lean rather than leap

Crouch was the best, he used to just fold up so his legs were five foot off the ground but his head was in the same position. That's how he scored so many overhead kicks. 

Edited by Happinesstan

8 hours ago, mighty__mag said:

My daughter was so quiet yesterday, convinced it's down to the fact blokes constantly shouting as loud as they can, dropping F bombs at any given moment, think she was slightly intimidated. 🙁

Maybe attending a live football match not suitable for her. How old is she? We’re you sat in the family section?

3 hours ago, Holloway said:

It's weird how the really tall players aren't so dominant in the air. They seem to lean rather than leap

Is it because corners are drilled in at speed? Why not get more height and less pace when we have a corner.Inswinging one or two is another option.

Edited by tomlynnherrington

Were the boos not directed at Bournemouth for all the nonsense time wasting and feigning injuries that ultimately ran down the clock so effectively? Like the boos were just for a moment and then went to a sort of refrained applause so I didn’t for a minute think the team were the main target of that.

It was easily the most frustrated I’ve been watching us this season but also, if that’s as bad as it gets, we should be fine this season.

1 hour ago, Ronaldo said:

I don’t think there’s much of a defence for playing Burn over Botman against Bournemouth mind. 

Agree, didn't understand it. We've paid £35m for Botman who is very good on the ball and can use all the PL minutes he can at 22. Could've used his passing ability against a low block and they were never going to overly trouble us. Found it bizarre.

To people who actually wonder why it's Burn over Botman : statistically Burn IS over Botman. So if our manager put statistic above anything else, the it's logical he choose Burn over Botman.

Edited by Johnny

4 hours ago, Johnny said:

To people who actually wonder why it's Burn over Botman : statistically Burn IS over Botman. So if our manager put statistic above anything else, the it's logical he choose Burn over Botman.

Eddie said he played Burn over Botman because of his leadership qualities.

8 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Nominating you for a weirdest choice of players to compare award (I know there’s not one… but there frigging should be, Clive!) 

I know he's a mackem but was a true beast in the air. Alright then, take Ronaldo, he could outjump the likes of Crouchy