Newcastle United 1-1 Bournemouth (17/08/2022)

jack j

2 hours ago, Barnes23 said:

Think it's been largely overlooked that Burn played Billing onside for Bournemouth's goal (iirc) 

The reason it’s been largely overlooked is probably because Schar left Billing to go walkabout,the way Lascelles has done since arriving,leaving Burn the option of either staying with his own man or attempting to get to the eventual goalscorer.

21 minutes ago, tomlynnherrington said:

The reason it’s been largely overlooked is probably because Schar left Billing to go walkabout,the way Lascelles has done since arriving,leaving Burn the option of either staying with his own man or attempting to get to the eventual goalscorer.

If he'd held his starting position the goal would not have stood. It was also only a few seconds after the entire defensive line had stepped up.

It wasn't exactly a masterclass in defensive organisation at any point in the build-up, it should be said, Targett is almost guilty of similar (think there's a fraction in his favour), but that choice looks like the decisive one. 

Guest reefatoon

Christ, Burn has been magnificent for us since we brought him in, but let’s now pull him apart because folks want Botman to start instead. Load of shite.

Edited by reefatoon

14 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Christ, Burn has been magnificent for us since we brought him in, but let’s now pull him apart because folks want Botman to start instead. Load of shite.

Spot on

Some strange cunts about

24 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Burn has been decent enough for us, but we've conceded due to his lapses in concentration a few times. Botman's ceiling is so much higher than Burn's, that even a couple of early jitters make him worth persisting with.

6 hours ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

You know more than Pep, Klopp etc then!

It is a huge difference like. When I played XI a side I was always more comfortable on the left being left-footed. Felt like playing a different game on the right.

Right-footers are far more common so playing LCB or RCB is natural..if you're left-footed, from young you tend to be the LCB. Very rare you get two left-footed centre-backs together so you rarely get played RCB.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

1 hour ago, reefatoon said:

Aye but we're so rich now we can just throw anybody on the scrapheap if they dare to make a mistake.

Guest reefatoon
58 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Burn has been decent enough for us, but we've conceded due to his lapses in concentration a few times. Botman's ceiling is so much higher than Burn's, that even a couple of early jitters make him worth persisting with.

He’s been more than decent enough, come on. He’s been an integral part in our massive defensive transformation since January. 

I don’t mind people having a preference for Botman, he undoubtedly is and will be a better player, but let’s not make shite up and blame Burn for things, just because he is keeping a preferred player out. We have three fantastic centre backs at the moment and it’s going to be unlucky on any one of them to miss out. I can understand Howe wanting to go with experience. Botman will get his time.

1 hour ago, reefatoon said:

Wouldn't be Newcastle fans if they didn't beat down other players because they want their new favourite to be starting instead :lol:

2 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

He’s been more than decent enough, come on. He’s been an integral part in our massive defensive transformation since January. 

I don’t mind people having a preference for Botman, he undoubtedly is and will be a better player, but let’s not make shite up and blame Burn for things, just because he is keeping a preferred player out. We have three fantastic centre backs at the moment and it’s going to be unlucky on any one of them to miss out. I can understand Howe wanting to go with experience. Botman will get his time.

Burn deserves massive credit for his role in our revival since January, that doesn't mean he's been flawless. His lapses in concentration have been evident since his second game.

You can like and appreciate the player whilst accepting his weaknesses.

6 minutes ago, nemtizz said:

Botman was bodied by Haaland mutiple times, that's it.

I believe in what Howe sees. He sees that Burn is above Botman based on performances, right now.

Botman is still young, he could learn and better himself. His time will come.

Edited by Johnny

Thats the keyword, his performance has been excellent. And Botman's performance isnt. At least compared to Burn.

I dont deny that Botman maybe a better player than Burn. But right now Burn > Botman

Edited by Johnny

Botman is better than Burn and his performances have been better than Burn.

I like Dan Burn, he's a good defender and he's really made a difference to us but to suggest he's in the side on merit is bollocks IMO.

He's in the side for one reason and that's because Botman is 22 and Howe wants to ease him in, playing him here and there, giving him tasters until he's ready or we have no choice but to play him.

I'm not saying I agree with Howe on this, I just think that's what he is doing. When the circumstances are right Botman will be in the side for an extended period and he won't be coming back out.

Edited by STM

2 minutes ago, Johnny said:

Of course he isnt happy. He sholudnt be happy. That what professional player do. Proof himself on the training field and maybe he can start again

How do you know what they're like on the training ground? What has Botman done wrong this season?

Fom what ive seen, there are very few deficiencies in Botmans game, where as I've seen Burn get caught out on a few occasions. Again, this isn't saying I don't like Burn because I do, I just can't fathom why anyone would think Burns performances have been better than Botmans.

To be honest, defence is the least of our problems. Lascelles has even looked ok in our side.

5 minutes ago, joeyt said:

How do you know what they're like on the training ground? What has Botman done wrong this season?

To be fair none of us know what goes on on the training ground, so saying with certainty that Botman is ready to be full time replacement is blind speculation. 

Howe, on the other hand watches both players every day and has reports from analysts, sports scientists and the tea lady, so I think I'll rust his judgement.