Newcastle United 1-1 Bournemouth (17/08/2022)

jack j

There's no real reason why starting Botman over Burn at home to fucking Bournemouth should be a match-defining decision. I really don't think it's worth picking apart, particularly as Burn was probably the only player that wasn't poor on Saturday and Schar was one of the worst.

It seems like an odd thing to hone in on, the whole game plan wasn't right and there was no hand-in-glove connection between the midfield and Isak and the wingers and Isak.

15 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

There's no real reason why starting Botman over Burn at home to fucking Bournemouth should be a match-defining decision. I really don't think it's worth picking apart, particularly as Burn was probably the only player that wasn't poor on Saturday and Schar was one of the worst.

It seems like an odd thing to hone in on, the whole game plan wasn't right and there was no hand-in-glove connection between the midfield and Isak and the wingers and Isak.

There was little understanding between our attacking players, but Isak has only been here four weeks. We might be able to splash £50 million on a player but we can't just buy the understanding required for them to blossom.

People who suggest that Botman have better performances than Burn: do you not believe in Howe assesment on both players? Because I'm sure none here are better at judging our player than the top man himself. Me myself INCLUDED. 

So Howe prefer Burn over Botman, than I believe its the best for the team right now, whatever the reason is.

10 hours ago, Barnes23 said:

If he'd held his starting position the goal would not have stood. It was also only a few seconds after the entire defensive line had stepped up.

It wasn't exactly a masterclass in defensive organisation at any point in the build-up, it should be said, Targett is almost guilty of similar (think there's a fraction in his favour), but that choice looks like the decisive one. 

When the player who put the cross in receives the ball,he would have been no more than 10 yards in front of our line of defenders,leaving it too tight to play offside.Schar went walkabout.If there was time to play offside,the shout should have come from Targett,but there wasn’t.

10 hours ago, reefatoon said:

Christ, Burn has been magnificent for us since we brought him in, but let’s now pull him apart because folks want Botman to start instead. Load of shite.

Schar has never been the answer to our defensive problems.For some reason people don’t want Burn in the team based on very little evidence to back up their views.If opposition keepers are forced to play the ball long,a tactic we should use as often as possible,I know who I would want to win the long ball.He’s as comfortable on the ball as anyone we have.

2 hours ago, tomlynnherrington said:

Schar has never been the answer to our defensive problems.For some reason people don’t want Burn in the team based on very little evidence to back up their views.If opposition keepers are forced to play the ball long,a tactic we should use as often as possible,I know who I would want to win the long ball.He’s as comfortable on the ball as anyone we have.

We haven't got defensive problems though. [emoji38]

Our defence has been pretty excellent since around January and Schar has been part of that.

10 hours ago, STM said:

Fom what ive seen, there are very few deficiencies in Botmans game, where as I've seen Burn get caught out on a few occasions. Again, this isn't saying I don't like Burn because I do, I just can't fathom why anyone would think Burns performances have been better than Botmans.

To be honest, defence is the least of our problems. Lascelles has even looked ok in our side.

Re the not fathoming bit. I do think Burn still has the shirt on merit. I’ve loved glimpses of what Botman has and will bring, but personally I don’t think he has done enough to oust Burn. Not because Botman has looked iffy—he’s had iffy moments, but has generally looked good—but because Burn—who has also had iffy moments— has been better, more confident, more critical tackles and is as people point out is more experienced and a good leader. 

Haven’t  kept a record, can’t provide  facts and figures but Botman has a bit more to do to take a shirt. He’ll get it, but it’ll be through consistency, and  the confidence Howe has in him, not through the size of his transfer fee, potential, or pet-lip. 

If we're being ultra critical then Burn has definitely been at fault for more costly errors than Schar since January (Chelsea & Spurs come to mind). I'd also rather go with Botman for his attacking set piece threat, he could've scored against Wolves & Palace where as Burn never looks threatening.

Not everything is black and white (excuse the pun). You can acknowledge that Burn has been good since he arrived, whilst discussing his limitations and why you think Botman might be a step up.

That's not a disservice to Burn. Both him and Schar are solid midtable options, but both have flaws and will eventually be replaced as we progress.

27 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Not everything is black and white (excuse the pun). You can acknowledge that Burn has been good since he arrived, whilst discussing his limitations and why you think Botman might be a step up.

That's not a disservice to Burn. Both him and Schar are solid midtable options, but both have flaws and will eventually be replaced as we progress.

Yep and in time it might happen but botman hasn't really shown enough to displace Burn yet

3 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Botman should be starting every game when fit IMO. Doesn't make sense to hold back his development... he's a top prospect in his position and will become a key part of our team for a decade.

I agree he’s a top prospect and really hope he is an integral part of a really strong team for years to come. However, Howe (pretty much any manager) will always pick what he thinks is his strongest team for the forthcoming match. Aiding a player’s development is always going to be a lower priority. 

17 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

I agree he’s a top prospect and really hope he is an integral part of a really strong team for years to come. However, Howe (pretty much any manager) will always pick what he thinks is his strongest team for the forthcoming match. Aiding a player’s development is always going to be a lower priority. 

Not judging by Howe's easing in of Bruno.

1 hour ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Well, I think there has to be a bit of both. Say Botman was 10% worse than Burn (which I don’t think he is anyway) there would still be an argument to play him. 

1 hour ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

So youth should never get a chance to prove themselves? :lol:

1 hour ago, Conjo said:

So youth should never get a chance to prove themselves? :lol:

No never, if it compromises the probability of winning a match. Players who need pitch time, development, a confidence boost, tend to get played when there is no other choice or when a game is already won. Other than that strongest 11; always. 

6 hours ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

No never, if it compromises the probability of winning a match. Players who need pitch time, development, a confidence boost, tend to get played when there is no other choice or when a game is already won. Other than that strongest 11; always. 

Boring

well, back in NZ and thx to any and all who I may have bumped in to

Young lad was so hyped he couldn't stop shaking for the first 20 minutes and it brought a tear to my eye to see him so passionate at the game

Not the result or performance any of us would have wanted but at least he know knows the "ups & downs" of following the best fucking football team in the world

Back soon or even before that if we can :headbang:

Edited by Mag_in_NZ