UK Politics: Generation Chaos

BlueStar

But the HoL can only really delay a bill. Its easier to stand up for principles under those circumstances. I wonder how many of those from the Government side would reject legislation if it were knocked back permanently and that goes for when Labour are in power as well.

Edited by madras

11 hours ago, Klaus said:

This is a clear example of why we NEED a second chamber :thup:

Definitely. As someone else has mentioned, they've often blocked and been a voice of reason when needed. I don't like the nature of it of how and what ends up there, but it seems more impartial and less partisan when it comes to decision making... which is odd given how many has been strategically thrown in.

10 hours ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

They illustrate just how toxic pluralist democracy has become in a largely unfettered capitalist society. There is less coroporate interest in the Lords, less press manipulation and pandering. 

They’ve also reached an untouchable position in life, a bit like high court judges. They don’t have to do things to further their political careers or listen to the whips etc. 

12 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

They’ve also reached an untouchable position in life, a bit like high court judges. They don’t have to do things to further their political careers or listen to the whips etc. 

Yet the tories are doing their best to flood the Lords with their own cronies and crooks. 

They are a lesser evil, but still evil. 

1 hour ago, hakka said:

Definitely. As someone else has mentioned, they've often blocked and been a voice of reason when needed. I don't like the nature of it of how and what ends up there, but it seems more impartial and less partisan when it comes to decision making... which is odd given how many has been strategically thrown in.

Absolutely. That's why the Conservatives have their utmost to stuff it full of former party members and doners. A second chamber is essential, but I'm all for trimming it down and reforming it. 

I would be up for a chamber of experts and citizens. Kind of a citizens assembly but with some academics and experienced people to give their input. 

Could transition by allowing some Lords to stay on for a period of time and help to get it going.