Tottenham Hotspur vs. Newcastle United - 23/10/22 @ 4:30pm (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

Would take a point from this. If we do I can genuinely see us heading into the World Cup unbeaten, as the only fixture left where you probably wouldn't be going into expecting us to win is Chelsea but I genuinely don't fear anyone at St. James' given our home form under Howe and that game against Man City. 

If we have to rest players but still want to be competitive, I would go for:

-----------------------Pope--------------------

Tripps------Botman-------Burn-----Targett

----Willock-------Bruno-------Anderson---

----Miggy-------Wilson--------Fraser-----

Find it staggering how we are as short as 11/5 to win this (SkyBet), 13 months ago we'd have been like 10/1. Similar odds generally vs Man Utd, but that felt a bit more realistic with them still having struggles this season. I guess last nights results may have impacted those odds a little bit, but they are still formidable at home, 10 wins in a row, and I'm still not as confident about us when we're away. Odds are just a number, but it's still brilliant to see them that low (unless you were actually wanting a punt on us [emoji38])

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/tottenham-v-newcastle/winner

I am also very much in the 'free-hit' mindset. I'd have snapped your hand off for 4 points from Man Utd, Everton and Spurs, and we have that with a game to spare, and I'd absolutely love to finish 7th, but if we were going to somehow finish top 6 then I think it would still be at MU's expense, not Spurs', so a bit of a shame the way that match went last night - they'll probably be looking for a reaction as well.  Our season isn't going to be defined, or objectives changed, because of an away defeat to Spurs. At home, I'd be confident of at least a point, and wouldn't 'take a draw', but it is a bit of a different proposition at their stadium, and would 100% take a draw there, and even a 'spirited' 1-0 defeat wouldn't be a disaster.

It goes against our current mindset, and how far we've come these past 10 months or so, but I'd personally consider making fairly big changes for this with a bit of an eye on the far more 'winnable' Villa match 6 days later- I'd consider bringing Lascelles in, Targett in, start Willock, possibly Fraser, Anderson, maybe even Wood. Obviously that would generally increase the chances of a heavier defeat, but it really is a compact schedule, and that forthcoming Palace League Cup match should be considered as an opportunity, rather than a distraction.

Edited by Paullow

Be  interesting to see how we approach this. They're a bit toothless against a deep defence but we're clearly trying to move away from that - at least at the start of games.

Joelinton will be a big miss if he's out. I like Willock but I think we lost a fair bit of bite and control in the middle after he came on yesterday.

2 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

We're much better than we were last season but we tried pressing them high iirc last season and we conceded 4 goals in the 2nd half after taking the lead, was really poor.

That was probably the only game where EH got it tactically completely wrong. Either that, or the players simply failed on the day to execute his actual plan. It's only a few months ago but already light years from where we are now with our preparation, fitness and team organization/harmony.

2 hours ago, NWMag said:

They are coming off a pretty bad defeat last night, confidence will have taken a knock.

I am actually feeling much better about this game than I was at 7pm yesterday. A point on Sunday would mean we have come through a pretty tricky week with 5 points from 9 which is more than decent.

12 minutes ago, TRon said:

They are coming off a pretty bad defeat last night, confidence will have taken a knock.

I am actually feeling much better about this game than I was at 7pm yesterday. A point on Sunday would mean we have come through a pretty tricky week with 5 points from 9 which is more than decent.

I think we’re well placed to be able to frustrate them and stand up to them physically. Frustrating them will get the crowd on their backs too. My only concern is maybe not having enough attacking wise to put them away and these are the types of games which would suit Isak and ASM but we are where we are with injuries I guess. 

Would happily take a point 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

3 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

I think we’re well placed to be able to frustrate them and stand up to them physically. Frustrating them will get the crowd on their backs too. My only concern is maybe not having enough attacking wise to put them away and these are the types of games which would suit Isak and ASM but we are where we are with injuries I guess. 

Would happily take a point 

These games against Man U and Spurs would have been perfect for Isak and ASM, that's the frustration of it. But we are still grinding out results regardless, so we can go there with confidence.

3 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Would take a point from this. If we do I can genuinely see us heading into the World Cup unbeaten, as the only fixture left where you probably wouldn't be going into expecting us to win is Chelsea but I genuinely don't fear anyone at St. James' given our home form under Howe and that game against Man City. 

This. I wouldn't be surprised if we go through the entire season unbeaten at SJP.

We have the players but even with Conte, we don't have the mentality and it has knock-on effects.

Howe is no idiot. A good manager, who of course was never good enough for us. Joke.

But he knows his Newcastle have to nudge one of that big 6 out of the way as well as ensuring West Ham and Everton (Not an issue) are kept distant.

They are favourites if Howe believes because we are fragile. Newcastle this season have not shown weakness. We have.

From the spurs forum, they really are bricking it. If we play a full strength team I think we win, though I can see some rotations so I'd happily take a point. 

They'll get a response. Rather than being reactionary based on the last games of each side as if both games will got the same way again.

Very much depends on what's available for us (fancy we need Jo). In fact with what we know is out, we'll be doing well to get a point. 

Take a point and get fresh for Villa is the optimum I can expect.

We'll be the happier set of fans whatever the result though, these are morose.

Edited by Jonas