Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

7 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

Nice dig from Neville for our “approach” at Arsenal compared with Man U’s.

It is a typical ignorant and over simplified comment by Neville.  He really does try to act like he is an articulate football pundit, but cannot think past basic platitudes that fit what he wants to say.

6 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

Nice dig from Neville for our “approach” at Arsenal compared with Man U’s.

He’s got such a chip on his shoulder, will be hilarious seeing people like him grimace and concede that we’re a great team over the next few years. People like Neville have loved to look down on us for years as plucky underdogs that could never consider being one of the big boys, going to have to grit his teeth and accept that things have changed 

I don’t mind Neville when he’s talking about politics because at least he consistently hammers the Tories and you don’t get many people in sport who outwardly call them out. But fuck me, he’s got such a big mouth and always delivers anything he says as if it’s a fact instead of holding his hands up and saying “I don’t watch enough of Newcastle to say exactly how they play but this is what I think of them”

11 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

It is a typical ignorant and over simplified comment by Neville.  He really does try to act like he is an articulate football pundit, but cannot think past basic platitudes that fit what he wants to say.

I remember in one game when his analysis was about to amount to ping it long up front. ‘Get it into the mixer’ level stuff. The thing is, he realised this as he spoke and so, laughing, said ‘Get it up to the big man.’ The joke, you see, was that a suave pundit like him would never resort to such base analysis. Notwithstanding, of course, that he had done just that and had nothing further to add to the point, despite the chuckle implying that of course he did, because he is Gary Neville.

It was the single smuggest thing a pundit has ever said- does he think he has some reputation for learned game analysis? Like the only way he can make a glib comment is if it comes with a satirical tint. 

Edited by Hovagod

Neville's good on the wider issues in football and football governance but really poor on match and individual club analysis imo. Carragher is far better in that regard.

Think everyone loved Neville when he first started the punditry lark because even though many out there are superior pundits now, at the time we'd been subjected to some relentless weapons for so many years.

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

Neville's good on the wider issues in football and football governance but really poor on match and individual club analysis imo. Carragher is far better in that regard.

If you watch the Premier League in America you get one or two of; Tim Howard, Danny Higginbotham, Robbie Earle, or Robbie Mustoe, for studio analysts. :lol: