Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

The European spot is definitely something to think about IMO. Assuming we get to the final, then losing to Man Utd will lock up a spot for the league, whereas if we did lose to Forest then Europe would only go down to 6th place in the league, and if Brighton or Leicester (or equivalent) were to go on and win the FA Cup then it would only be 5th place.

I'm personally expecting us to finish 6th, hoping for better, obviously, but that's my hunch, and while there would be less distractions again, I'd personally be gutted if we finished in the top 6, for the first time in ages, and had no European at all football to show for it, so from a conservative / pessimistic mindset, there is a slight advantage there for a Man Utd win here.

3 minutes ago, Paullow said:

The European spot is definitely something to think about IMO. Assuming we get to the final, then losing to Man Utd will lock up a spot for the league, whereas if we did lose to Forest then Europe would only go down to 6th place in the league, and if Brighton or Leicester (or equivalent) were to go on and win the FA Cup then it would only be 5th place.

I'm personally expecting us to finish 6th, hoping for better, obviously, but that's my hunch, and while there would be less distractions again, I'd personally be gutted if we finished in the top 6, for the first time in ages, and had no European at all football to show for it, so from a conservative / pessimistic mindset, there is a slight advantage there for a Man Utd win here.

Can anyone be arsed with the conference league though.

Must say I've never agreed with the idea that players can't play against their parent clubs. I suppose there's a conflict of interest argument but ultimately it's a transfer and the lending club is usually paying wages and a fee. It seems ridiculous that Forest have to play Hennessey in such a big game.

In Italy for example it is perfectly normal for loan players to play against their parent clubs.

7 minutes ago, IzzyIsak said:

Can anyone be arsed with the conference league though.

100%.

The semi finals last year (Roma, Marseille, Feyenoord, Leicester) looked far stronger than the Europa League. I'd obviously prefer to be in either of the other two competitions, but I'd definitely take the Conference it that's what it turned out to be. More games on TV, more chance for kids to go to SJP who miss out on league matches, another chance to win a trophy, away city trips for fans, just an improvement to the clubs general stature on the continent.

Edited by Paullow

4 minutes ago, Paullow said:

100%.

The semi finals last year (Roma, Marseille, Feyenoord, Leicester) looked far stronger than the Europa League. I'd obviously prefer to be in either of the other two competitions, but I'd definitely take the Conference it that's what it turned out to be. More games on TV, more chance for kids to go to SJP who miss out on league matches, another chance to win a trophy, just an improvement to the clubs general stature.

We won't finish lower than 5th now anyway, it's at least Europa League.

4 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Must say I've never agreed with the idea that players can't play against their parent clubs. I suppose there's a conflict of interest argument but ultimately it's a transfer and the lending club is usually paying wages and a fee. It seems ridiculous that Forest have to play Hennessey in such a big game.

In Italy for example it is perfectly normal for loan players to play against their parent clubs.

Henderson is injured anyway