Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

1 minute ago, Flip said:

I might be wrong or you lot might disagree, but they’re such a classic club. Really deserves to be playing in the PL.

I don't think anyone would disagree, but like a lot of fanbases such as Forest, Leeds and Sheff Weds, they're pretty insufferable.

16 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

These should be goals, not 3 minutes of drawing lines on players who are level. The game would be so much better if they were goals like they used to be. 

The unfortunate thing now is we're all accustomed to VAR being a part of the game. How shite was the FA Cup game when we didn't have it? Goal line tech was fantastic, but I'm with you, VAR sucks, however it's too far entrenched to get rid of it. 

Man Utd's forthcoming schedule is mad:

28/1 - Reading H - FA Cup

1/2 - Forest H - EFL Cup

4/2 - Palace H

8/2 - Leeds H

12/2 - Leeds A

16/2 - Barca A - Europa

19/2 - Leicester H

23/2 - Barca H - Europa

Obviously they can rest players against Reading and the Forest match might be academic next week, and they can do what they want with the Europa, but that's another 8 matches to travel / prepare for before the EFL Cup final, whereas in the same period, we only have 4 matches.

17 minutes ago, The Bonk said:

The unfortunate thing now is we're all accustomed to VAR being a part of the game. How shite was the FA Cup game when we didn't have it? Goal line tech was fantastic, but I'm with you, VAR sucks, however it's too far entrenched to get rid of it. 

They don't even need to get rid of it though, they just increase the margin for error so less examples qualify for being given offside. In 25 years we've gone from "Daylight" to "the edge of your knee cant be 1cm ahead of the end of their foot". Its beyond silly.

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

5 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

They don't even need to get rid of it though, they just increase the margin of error so less examples qualify for being given offside. In 25 years we've gone from "Daylight" to "the edge of your knee cant be 1cm ahead of the end of their foot". Its beyond silly.

Because offside or onside isn't really interpretive or arbitrary there has to be a line somewhere, so I think all of these different calls to change where the line is completely avoids the problem, or just moves the same problem to a different line.

We essentially need the system we had at the world cup where it's an instantaneous yes/no call like on FIFA. The insane zooming in on pixels, drawing lines, and taking ages is ruining everything and making the offside rule itself seem petty.

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Because offside or onside isn't really interpretive or arbitrary there has to be a line somewhere, so I think all of these different calls to change where the line is completely avoids the problem.

We essentially need the system we had at the world cup where it's an instantaneous yes/no call like on FIFA. The insane zooming in on pixels, drawing lines, and taking ages is ruining everything and making the offside rule itself seem petty.

It's been mentioned a number of times - just give them a few seconds to look at it without any lines. If it's not absolutely obvious it's offside, it's regarded as on.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Because offside or onside isn't really interpretive or arbitrary there has to be a line somewhere, so I think all of these different calls to change where the line is completely avoids the problem.

We essentially need the system we had at the world cup where it's an instantaneous yes/no call like on FIFA. The insane zooming in on pixels, drawing lines, and taking ages is ruining everything.

Increasing the margin for error and  "moving the lines" does address the problem, though. You reduce the scope for qualifying for offside. Yes the lines have to be drawn somewhere, but that doesnt mean wherever the lines are placed you end up with the same decisions because lines are lines. If we use the daylight example, you'll still measure and essentially use lines (though you'd likely not have to draw them because youre looking for the gap, but it's still the same measurement). But that Forest equaliser would have been allowed because youve increased the margin for error from like 1cm to about a foot or more. Offsides will go down and goals will go up. Its like asking someone to throw pebbles in to a hole that's of 1cm diameter to one that's 1m in diameter. Youre still drawing circles but one of them is much easier to get stones in to.

1 minute ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Increasing the margin for error and  "moving the lines" does address the problem, though. You reduce the scope for qualifying for offside. Yes the lines have to be drawn somewhere, but that doesnt mean wherever the lines are placed you end up with the same decisions because lines are lines. If we use the daylight example, you'll still measure and essentially use lines (though you'd likely not have to draw them because youre looking for the gap, but it's still the same measurement). But that Forest equaliser would have been allowed because youve increased the margin for error from like 1cm to about a foot or more. Offsides will go down and goals will go up. Its like asking someone to throw pebbles in to a hole that's of 1cm diameter to one that's 1m in diameter. Youre still drawing circles but one of them is much easier to get stones in to.

I just don't see that kind of que sera way of doing it flying either tbh, you can guarantee incorrect calls within the margin of error would be the next new problem with fans, clubs and pundits as well I think. Plus the margin of error has a line between acceptable error and unnecceptable error too surely?

If an offside camera system gets close to being as instantaneous as a flag being raised, I think that removes what I see as the main problem with VAR's drawn out, painstaking ruining of our fun. It essentially becomes the offside version of goal-line technology which is surely ideal.