Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

1 minute ago, Sempiternal said:

It does remind me of the last season of his at Dortmund. He isn’t helped by the board but why buy Gakpo when you need a midfielder so badly 

He did have a great World Cup and Salah’s form hasn’t been the best.

Just now, The Bonk said:

Would love to see their player acquisition strategy, probably have some ridiculous data modelling to unearth these gems. 

Yeah, they've hit some sweet spot with their data model that is successfully identifying players that are very well suited to performing in the Premier League.

16 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

Nah I think I Núñez is good, he gets memed a lot but I do think he’s a player 

What exactly does he do well? Seen enough of Liverpool and Uruguay to say he doesn’t offer much and has a terrible footballing IQ. 

13 minutes ago, The Bonk said:

He at least has double figure goals (10).

Both have a similar record with around 1 goal every  3 games in English football. Doesn’t make any of them anything other than flops for now. 

3 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

That Mitoma is a machine, he’d fit right into our style of play

Well the guy that was involved in identifying him, saw fit to go out and spend £40 million on Anthony Gordon.

Makes you wonder if he saw something in Gordon that so many of the geniuses on here don't see. 

But you know ... he's an ugly, rat that skipped training and isn't good enough for us! :laugh:

Edited by KaKa

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, they've hit some sweet spot with their data model that is successfully identifying players that are very well suited to performing in the Premier League.

Which is what baffles me with Chelsea. They have a massive data/strategy team (worked with the marketing and fan engagement side previously) but are throwing around money at every player under the sun. Weird.

So condescending from Clive today about Brighton, saying “when you think of where they were 20 years ago..”, how about you look at a couple weeks ago when they beat this Liverpool team 3-0? They’ve been putting in fantastic work for a good few years now, results like this are no longer unusual or a giant killing by any stretch. 

1 minute ago, The Bonk said:

Which is what baffles me with Chelsea. They have a massive data/strategy team (worked with the marketing and fan engagement side previously) but are throwing around money at every player under the sun. Weird.

The thing with the richer top clubs is that they operate with so much ego. They'd genuinely rather spend a ton more money on a player that has already made a splash, than bring through players themselves that are less heralded, or that they have developed through their academy.

I remember reading an interview with Emenalo about his time at Chelsea when they had identified the likes of De Bruyne, Lukaku and Salah when they were younger and were developing them in house and trying to find a pathway through to the first team, but the club were not committed enough to making that happen and the managers they had back then weren't receptive either.

2 minutes ago, Flip said:

What exactly does he do well? Seen enough of Liverpool and Uruguay to say he doesn’t offer much and has a terrible footballing IQ. 

Both have a similar record with around 1 goal every  3 games in English football. Doesn’t make any of them anything other than flops for now. 

WHAT ABOUT HIS “CHAOS” METRIC THO!?!? O0 He’s been average in scoring goals, I agree, but I bet he has a stronger season next year.

Antony appears more wasteful in possession, but Nunez isn’t a ball retention type player.

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

The thing with the richer top clubs is that they operate with so much ego. They'd genuinely rather spend a ton more money on a player that has already made a splash, than bring through players themselves that are less heralded, or that they have developed through their academy.

I remember reading an interview with Emenalo about his time at Chelsea when they had identified the likes of De Bruyne, Lukaku and Salah when they were younger and were developing them in house and trying to find a pathway through to the first team, but the club were not committed enough to making that happen and the managers they had back then weren't receptive either.

Must be a perception thing and I could see billionaire owners wanting marquee names on the pitch.

7 minutes ago, The Bonk said:

Must be a perception thing and I could see billionaire owners wanting marquee names on the pitch.

Yeah, think there's a bit of that to it maybe, but I think they are also just lazy and don't really trust the longer process.

I really hope we never go down the Chelsea route. I despise it so much.

Hope we establish the model Brighton have, but with us targeting even better younger talents or obscure talents, that cost a bit more than Dan would have been able to spend on them at Brighton. So the likes of Franca and Andrey Santos that we have looked at recently.

Edited by KaKa

16 minutes ago, Flip said:

Link up play is really good, he was over priced for sure but this is also a dis functional side. He has good movement imo. I’d give him another season to see what he can do 

11 minutes ago, KaKa said:

They make a ton off transfers though more than anyone in the league I beleive. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11643379/amp/How-Chelseas-688m-profit-player-sales-long-contracts-keeps-FFP.html

19 hours ago, Jack27 said:

He looks an absolute unit. Like, Special Ops Military in the off season as part of his training regimen. [emoji38]

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, think there's a bit of that to it maybe, but I think they are also just lazy and don't really trust the longer process.

I really hope we never go down the Chelsea route. I despise it so much.

Hope we establish the model Brighton have, but with us targeting even better younger talents or obscure talents, that cost a bit more than Dan would have been able to spend on them at Brighton. So the likes of Franca and Andrey Santos that we have looked at recently.

Yup, couldn’t agree more and I think we will for the most part. I think it’s a much better route for sustainable success. Iterative building more often than not yields greater returns.