Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

I think the balance needs to be looked at in the sense of what achieving Top 4 means more long term vs a trophy this year.

A trophy is a trophy (would love it) but CL this season - that’s now club defining and the biggest step to the next chapter of Newcastle we could’ve hoped for. 

There are many many trophies in our very near future. 

10 hours ago, Beth said:

On par with winning the League Cup imo, so still better than anything we've managed since 1969.

Let's be honest here, if we'd been offered the choice of winning the LC or a top four finish, 99% of us would've taken the former.

I think top 4 is better for the long term project, and could help us to win a trophy faster in the future. I don't think that winning a League Cup now would've helped us getting a top 4 finish any faster (if we didn't get it this season).

Edit: I see now that someone just pointed that out [emoji38]

Edited by Erikse

Arsenal were in a title race, played some great football, and made massive strides, but effectively their season was pretty similar to ours - no trophy and a return to the Champions League. They certainly wouldn't have swapped their season for West Ham if offered, despite the latter winning the Conference League, nor Brentford, if (hypothetically) they finished where they did and won the League Cup. I think our season was generally better (than West Ham) - like Arsenal, we made massive strides, played great football, no team lost fewer games nor conceded less goals, and a real chance to continue to build, attract better players, and really push on as a club, so as a business you wouldn't swap, it's obviously just as fans, the vast majority of us haven't seen us win anything in our lifetime, and we are desperate for that to change.

I probably would have preferred us to finish 6th or 7th and win the LC than finish 4th and lose the final this season (as was widely discussed leading into the final, and those Magpie TV type YouTube channels), just because of the emotion of finally winning a cup, but in a general sense, if your club is right up there in the upper echelons, have won plenty of trophies in reasonable recent memory, then a top 4 finish would normally top winning lesser competitions like the Europa Conference (and even the League Cup), but at this stage, we're obviously not 'above' those competitions.

Nobody in their right mind would swap our season for West Ham's like [emoji38]

West Ham fans will have amazing memories, which is why the tournament is so good, but it's hardly some major scalp. You enter the competition through extremely specific circumstances (finishing 7th) and then have to beat sides who realistically you (7th in the Premier League) are going to be on par with at worst. Home and away so the away factor is removed too.

I'd definitely prefer watching us in the Conference League than the League Cup like, even though as a major honour the LC is much better.

Just now, astraguy said:

Is anyone giving inter a chance tonight? bit shit waiting to 8 pm and i don't think i can be even arsed watching the cheats win it

It's a slim chance but they definitely have a chance

They just need to avoid conceding an early goal, then hope the pressure of City needing to win the CL and doing the treble causes them to panic 

On 09/06/2023 at 12:35, Hanshithispantz said:

West Ham fans will have amazing memories, which is why the tournament is so good, but it's hardly some major scalp. You enter the competition through extremely specific circumstances (finishing 7th) and then have to beat sides who realistically you (7th in the Premier League) are going to be on par with at worst. Home and away so the away factor is removed too.

I'd definitely prefer watching us in the Conference League than the League Cup like, even though as a major honour the LC is much better.

What we've been given this season by way of love for our club again will never be worth chucking in for a trophy - let alone a fucking conference 'pub' league

On 09/06/2023 at 12:35, Hanshithispantz said:

Winning a suped up Intertoto Cup while fighting relegation... or Eddie Howe's Newcastle full of belief with SJP rocking again

Amazing that Scott Carson - basically what you'd get if you deflated Chris Moyles a bit - stands to win his second CL medal tonight.

Jimmy Rimmer also won two European Cup medals despite playing for a handful of minutes across 180 mins football.