When you used to play football - did you......?

Big Geordie

Used to tuck your shirt in to your shorts or did you let it hang out? :) I remember seeing Chris Waddle wearing his shirt not tucked in during his Marseille days (I think), so I always did the same. Did used to roll my football socks up though - I wasn't a total tramp!

3 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

Used to tuck your shirt in to your shorts or did you let it hang out? :) I remember seeing Chris Waddle wearing his shirt not tucked in during his Marseille days (I think), so I always did the same. Did used to roll my football socks up though - I wasn't a total tramp!

Never a tucker. Still aren't with shirts and tees. I was also a cuff holder proper 70s winger style. 

For the school team our teacher/manager insisted we tucked in....I did until kick off then pulled out.

Used to always keep mine out but it made me think of a guy I played with all the time that, for absolutely no reason, used to purposefully wear 3XL shirts (he was a M at most) as a joke and would tuck them in. It made me laugh every time. :lol:

(he’s back left)

image.thumb.png.e5f86724f8e8c65369e9ae05541c6967.png

Edited by cubaricho

16 minutes ago, madras said:

Never a tucker. Still aren't with shirts and tees. I was also a cuff holder proper 70s winger style. 

For the school team our teacher/manager insisted we tucked in....I did until kick off then pulled out.

I still don't tuck them in now - same with shirts (unless dressed formally), tshirts, etc.

Was just something about Waddle doing it, that stuck with me. Indeed, I think he may have done it during WC 90?

Sometimes had a manager that made us tuck it in. Always had it out given the choice. Thought looked dorkish tucked in.

Would roll my sleeves up too on this long sleeve shirts most kids kits were, especially on a cold day, to look like I was up for it. Especially if I was up against a player with their hands tucked inside their sleeves looking like they didn't want to be there. I must've looked dead hard, I was as skinny and short as anything.

Edited by Inferior Acuña

38 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

I still don't tuck them in now - same with shirts (unless dressed formally), tshirts, etc.

Was just something about Waddle doing it, that stuck with me. Indeed, I think he may have done it during WC 90?

Goes back to the 70s for me. Flair players seemed to have that shirt out, one sock down, holding their cuffs sort of look.

43 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Tucked it in and pulled my socks over my knee caps because Thierry Henry.

Socks over the knee caps at my school would've been like carrying a sign saying "I want and need a reet howking"

Tucked out, long sleeves and half the time socks half way down my shin pads!, I remember one ref who kept telling me to pull my socks up.

I was right footed and either played as a nippy left winger cutting in and scoring a few goals or Stu Pierce style left back flipping people up in the air, I'm only 5'7" so pretty much used to launch myself into tackles, f'ing used to love playing until beer and fags 🤣

Always shirt out like jinky jim infact saw him a while back in the 3bulls head and he had his shirt out in the pub ,still looked in great nick for his age.

Also used to love watching QPR's Dave Thomas he played on the wing in the 70s with socks down and no shin pads.

10 minutes ago, buzza said:

Shirt out. Shorts long.

Loved to give a good kickin to those who thought they were good with their socks down!

No -nonsense centre back.

I used to play right-midfield and Waddle was my role model.... but! At 6'8, I've never been quick or one for getting stuck in. Could ping a long pass or a cross though! i was never that good, but I loved playing during my Uni days, and was well up for the team craic as well. Good times. :)

1 hour ago, Big Geordie said:

Shirt tucked in, laces tied around the boots, socks up to just below the knee. Always short sleeve if possible. Pretty much the crack for me. Long sleeve actually looks smarter though.

Definite shirt out where allowed (at certain levels they just wouldn't let you)

Liked the casual look of not really trying at least partially inspired by Waddle also.

And long sleeves wherever possible.

Liked things baggy generally, was the Madchester era.

Edited by Jonas

1 hour ago, cubaricho said:

Used to always keep mine out but it made me think of a guy I played with all the time that, for absolutely no reason, used to purposefully wear 3XL shirts (he was a M at most) as a joke and would tuck them in. It made me laugh every time. :lol:

(he’s back left)

Looks like he spent all his money on liposuction and couldnt afford new clothes.

4 hours ago, cubaricho said:

(he’s back left)