Still still not worthy of a thread

gbandit

Pele doesn't seem to get mentioned that much these days, there was intense debate back in the 90s when I was growing up about who was the GOAT and most said Pele but Maradona seems the main one mentioned now.

Definitely must be an era thing where the voices in the media now weren't alive to see Pele, similar to how 66 isn't mentioned so much these days when it used to come up in British popular culture constantly. 

Edited by Interpolic

It really irks me that despite this being our best period as a club in recent memory that the Sunderland thread is a constant top 5 in our football section. Constant posts about how obsessed they are with Newcastle without a hint of irony 

1 minute ago, CFlan said:

It really irks me that despite this being our best period as a club in recent memory that the Sunderland thread is a constant top 5 in our football section. Constant posts about how obsessed they are with Newcastle without a hint of irony 

It’s a thread I don’t go in for that very reason. They are so many light years behind us now that the rivalry feels almost manufactured at this point. Especially from our side. 

I might be way off the mark but are either of you locals? 

Btw I'm not suggesting that makes you any less of a fan, we are all equal in that regards. Just when it comes to Sunderland and the dislike that probably is a factor.

We are far more likely to have friends/colleagues who are Mackems so regardless of how irrelevant they are from a footballing perspective to us they will always have a relevance due to that connection. 

I am a filthy local but aside from the odd thing I’m nowhere near as interested in them now they’ve reached their level of being also-rans in Division 2. Plumbing depths even Boro didn’t go to in Div 3 was a genuinely enjoyable distraction when our own predicament was mind numbingly shite.

I agree though, it’s a thread that should only be bumped for mocking or if they’re on the box. Who cares what Ken from Pallion thinks about whatever. Couldn’t give a fuck unless he’s shaming his town like most of the thick fucks seem to enjoy doing so I can laugh at. Far too much to enjoy about Newcastle at the moment to worry about what these sacks of shit are doing.

11 hours ago, Rafalove said:

He’s better than  R9 Ronaldo. At their peaks there’s a debate, but CR7, smashes him in longevity. I think it’s a conversation between Messi and Pele for goat status. Not sure what to think of Maradona, his goal record was good but not extraordinary like we see with Pele, Messi, CR7 etc, but what he did with Napoli and Argentina will forever go down in folklore. Probably the most deified sports person ever.

There's no clear definition of 'greatest' but I'd rate Maradona as the best I've seen. I've watched a couple of his compilations on You Tube, and a lot of his goals and skills are just unreal. They look impossible.

I watched Pele as a kid, but not with sufficient insight to be sure of how he compares. He has to be in the top echelon though.

The other two I'd put up there are Messi and Cruyff. Cruyff is a bit under-rated really. He was a brilliant captain as well as a great player. Dutch football was nothing until he came along.

C Ronaldo has achieved so much, but he never had the sort of exceptional natural gifts that the other four had. He's a great athlete who has worked very hard on the technical side of his game, and in that way has carved out a unique career. But I'd put him in the second tier, along with Zidane, the other Ronaldo etc

He's also a bit selfish. On the pitch and now it look like off it as well.

Edited by Cronky

Is it even a debate anymore? Isn’t there a consensus of opinion that Messi is the best ever and it’s not even in much doubt for most people? You can argue about trophies, achievements and mentality but if you’re talking about pure footballing ability, technique and understanding then Messi is surely first by a significant margin. Not that these conversations ever mean anything and always go in circles

4 hours ago, gbandit said:

Is it even a debate anymore? Isn’t there a consensus of opinion that Messi is the best ever and it’s not even in much doubt for most people? You can argue about trophies, achievements and mentality but if you’re talking about pure footballing ability, technique and understanding then Messi is surely first by a significant margin. Not that these conversations ever mean anything and always go in circles

There is limited footage of Pele playing but what you see is incredibly impressive.

I haven’t made up my mind about how to rate C Ronaldo. Looking at his stats and achievements he has to be the 2nd best in my lifetime*, but if I was picking an XI he wouldn’t be in it and I doubt I’ll ever miss watching him play.

* No unbiased football fan should be picking him over Messi IMO.

I always think the massive difference in the balls footballers played with in different eras is hugely underconsidered when attempting to compare them across generations.

What would Messi have looked like using the medicine ball Pele played with in the 60s?

And then there's the pitch quality...

9 minutes ago, 80 said:

I always think the massive difference in the balls footballers played with in different eras is hugely underconsidered when attempting to compare them across generations.

What would Messi have looked like using the medicine ball Pele played with in the 60s?

And the boots/inhalers

I think great players would have adapted to the conditions of a different era, whether it's current players playing with the crap balls on crap pitches or previous players playing under the current intense scrutiny and more tactical awareness. 

On the subject of CR7 he's the second best for me, not in terms of ability or pleasing on the eye but his numbers and achievements mean he has to be up there 

I think R9 and Zizou etc are better players than him but they aren't greater than him

Messi is the best though, he has numbers that surpass Ronaldo, achievements that march if not surpass Ronaldo and then just watching him it's clear he's better 

49 minutes ago, 80 said:

Shearer did a documentary for the bbc in football and dementia, where they uncovered that there isn’t much difference between modern day footballs and ones from the past. Pitches, boots, training and nutrition, no doubt change the game to a huge degree. Was funny to see Keegan drinking a full glass bottle of milk, in an interview after he scored that hat trick in the 74 cup final

2 hours ago, Kimbo said:

I haven’t made up my mind about how to rate C Ronaldo. Looking at his stats and achievements he has to be the 2nd best in my lifetime*, but if I was picking an XI he wouldn’t be in it and I doubt I’ll ever miss watching him play.

* No unbiased football fan should be picking him over Messi IMO.

Rolando will go down as a goalscorer.Messi as a goalscorer,goal maker and team player.Messi over Ronaldo for me.I’d have Messi alongside Bruno in January.Don’t laugh.Why not?

Edited by tomlynnherrington