Still still not worthy of a thread

gbandit

3 hours ago, Tomato Deuce said:

Limited number of teams, no threat of relegation, lots of TV money, and being located in the U.S. generally, etc.

I take these Forbes valuations with a grain of salt anyway.

Got to be this...most MLS teams would struggle in a decent league where there is actually relegation risk. Bigger potential audience too...if the US ever joins the civilised world and makes football(soccer) their main sport then they could be the best potentially 

2 hours ago, gdm said:

For a sleeve. Fuck off, man. :lol: 

1 hour ago, duo said:

Potter just looks out of his depth - will have had no say on signings

I dunno, can't help but like the bloke and hate Chelsea the football club. I have a feeling they'll be much better next year and might do well in the knockout stages.

42 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Was thinking the other day I wonder if there's ever been a game that Dan Burn has played where they haven't mentioned his height. Then got me thinking what other players always have a characteristic about them mentioned during games:

Dan Burn - his height

Peter Crouch - his height

Lisandro Martinez - his lack of height

Ward Prowse -  his set pieces

Adama Traore - his pace

Mark Noble - being Mr West Ham

Ruben Neves - 'we know he can score from there' anytime he has the ball outside the penalty area

Alexis MacAllister - "Brighton's World Cup winner" - obviously this is a new one but it will be long lasting I'm guessing

Jamie Vardy - rags to riches story

Kasper Schmeichel - comparing him to his father when he makes a save

Brennan Johnson - always have a camera shot of his dad in the crowd

Don't really know where I'm going with the list if I'm honest

I seem to remember every commentator having to mention Tino's running style.

Joelinton's remarkable transformation from zero striker to hero midfielder 

Eddie Howe's year out

Tim Cahill: How good he is in the air vs his height

Alex Ferguson in the stands: "and what must he be making of all this?/I'm sure he approves of that!"

Loads of skillful French-speaking wingers - mercurial, even when they're not 

The insistance on calling every very good ball-playing centre back a Rolls Royce

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 minute ago, The Bonk said:

For a sleeve. Fuck off, man. :lol: 

I dunno, can't help but like the bloke and hate Chelsea the football club. I have a feeling they'll be much better next year and might do well in the knockout stages.

Can see Potter going with them the same way Souness went for us ..not popular, and got expensive players that he didn't know how to use handed to him...imagine the day when Fernandez, Felix and Mudryk run into each other when going for the same space

15 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Can see Potter going with them the same way Souness went for us ..not popular, and got expensive players that he didn't know how to use handed to him...imagine the day when Fernandez, Felix and Mudryk run into each other when going for the same space

I can imagine them not syncing on the pitch, but Potter is nowhere near as shit a manager as Souness was for us. It might or might not work out for him at Chelsea, but he'll go somewhere else and do well. I think he's a great coach, never thought that about Souness.

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

Was thinking the other day I wonder if there's ever been a game that Dan Burn has played where they haven't mentioned his height. Then got me thinking what other players always have a characteristic about them mentioned during games:

Dan Burn - his height

Peter Crouch - his height

Lisandro Martinez - his lack of height

Ward Prowse -  his set pieces

Adama Traore - his pace

Mark Noble - being Mr West Ham

Ruben Neves - 'we know he can score from there' anytime he has the ball outside the penalty area

Alexis MacAllister - "Brighton's World Cup winner" - obviously this is a new one but it will be long lasting I'm guessing

Jamie Vardy - rags to riches story

Kasper Schmeichel - comparing him to his father when he makes a save

Brennan Johnson - always have a camera shot of his dad in the crowd

Don't really know where I'm going with the list if I'm honest

Harry Kane and Shearer's record. 

Sam Matterface and his cringeworthy bingo collection of puns. 

Any bad miss and that player "won't be getting to sleep easily tonight" 

A goalkeeper doing a fake kick then tricking the on rushing forward and " oh he's living dangerously there" 

On 02/02/2023 at 21:34, Ben said:

Any black player is "athletic" any Asian player is "busy" 

Yeah I’ve seen some research into how people often focus disproportionately on the athleticism of black players even when they’re also very good technically. 

I personally think there’s some racism in how black players are described, even if it’s subconscious and can be in a positive way. Animalistic comparisons seem more common. Big and powerful players are often described as a ‘beast’, while clumsy and ineffective players are a ‘donkey’ - pretty sure these terms are used disproportionately way more frequently for black players. 

11 minutes ago, St. Maximin said:

Yeah I’ve seen some research into how people often focus disproportionately on the athleticism of black players even when they’re also very good technically. 

I personally think there’s some racism in how black players are described, even if it’s subconscious and can be in a positive way. Animalistic comparisons seem more common. Big and powerful players are often described as a ‘beast’, while clumsy and ineffective players are a ‘donkey’ - pretty sure these terms are used disproportionately way more frequently for black players. 

I think that’s true generally, certainly with the ‘beast’ descriptions.  The donkey one, not so sure - that’s been around for yonks.  Tony Adams is the player most will associate with the term - the ‘ee-aw’ noises were often directed at him.  Arsenal supporters even adapted it into a chant. 

1 minute ago, BlueStar said:

Hannover 96 fans broke into the ground of their arch rivals Eintracht Braunschweig last night and burned "96" into the centre circle ahead of today's game against Heidenheim.

g27wbcil06ga1.png

:lol: