Newcastle United vs. Crystal Palace: 9/11/22 @ 19:45 - League Cup (No UK TV)

HaydnNUFC

11 minutes ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

Darlow

Manquillo

Lascelles 

Burn

Targett

Anderson

Shelvey

Longstaff

Fraser

Wood

ASM

Burn because if he gets injured, Targett can step up in the PL. Longstaff because I think Bruno-Jur-Willock is our current PL midfield 3. ASM to get match fitness.

Pretty much this but I'd like to see Karius out there.

Yeah, if Karius has been performing well in training it would be nice to see him get a run out. He was touted as having a huge future before that champions league disaster so hopefully some Howe magic can get him back to his peak 

Why the clamour for a shit keeper to play? It should be Pope playing. Karius is no better than Darlow and has barely played a game in the last two years. And before anyone says he's better than Darlow, who was on the bench on Sunday?

27 minutes ago, Wilson said:

No change unless forced for me... as unlikely as that is.

2 more games then a long break, fuck both these and Chelsea up. 

We’ve not long since had three games in eight days, with pretty much the same starting line-up. As you say, we’ve a break coming so only change I expect on Wednesday is Joelinton instead of Murphy. Perhaps Wood if Wilson still iffy. 

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I assume the clamour for a ‘shit keeper to play’ is to give players the chance to prove themselves under Howe. The same as why we played ‘shit wingers’ like Almiron and Murphy, or ‘shit midfielders’ like Willock and Longstaff.

Prove themselves? The fact Howe had Darlow on the bench ahead of Karius on Sunday tells you his opinion of him.

7 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

He used to play Fraser over Almiron.

Lets be brutaly honest here. Almiron was dogshit before Howe came and was only in and out of the side at the back end of last season. Yes hes turned into Zidane this season but I doubt the likes of Darlow and Karius will become Dino Zoff overnight by playing one cup game.

Why play the shittest of the three available keepers in a competition that offers the best chance of winning anything this season?

50 minutes ago, Wilson said:

No change unless forced for me... as unlikely as that is.

2 more games then a long break, fuck both these and Chelsea up. 

Would maybe play Targett and one other but more leaning towards this too.

2 minutes ago, Beth said:

Lets be brutaly honest here. Almiron was dogshit before Howe came and was only in and out of the side at the back end of last season. Yes hes turned into Zidane this season but I doubt the likes of Darlow and Karius will become Dino Zoff overnight by playing one cup game.

Why play the shittest of the three available keepers in a competition that offers the best chance of winning anything this season?

I'm just saying the reason people want to see him is due to the turnaround we've seen from others under Howe. He was very highly rated before his last season at Liverpool.

He might be shite still, but it's obviously exciting to believe we could have snapped up a great backup for nowt.

I have often thought Howe would rotate and make changes when we have had 2-3 games in quick succession. But it has never really happened so far. 

I’d like to see ASM and Joelinton start. Maybe Targett, too. But I don’t expect or want to see loads of changes. 

4 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I'm just saying the reason people want to see him is due to the turnaround we've seen from others under Howe. He was very highly rated before his last season at Liverpool.

He might be shite still, but it's obviously exciting to believe we could have snapped up a great backup for nowt.

Fair enough.

Coming over with my other half for this. She's never been out in town on an evening so we were thinking about going out afterwards. Off for the rest of the week and got a hotel booked so would be rude not to. 

Could anyone recommend somewhere to go? Preferably indie or dance music? 

Normally I would say focus on getting into the Top 4, not least because of FFP. Its also Top 4 teams that normally win the Cups now. However, the other fixtures in this round include Man U-Villa, Arsenal-Brighton, and Man City-Chelsea. With other PL teams heading out, the prospect of winning this year becomes stronger.

It's a cliched thing to say, but given our recent history, what a nice dilemma to have! Usually it's pie in the sky glimmer of a cup run vs. inevitably desparate battle against relegation.

7 hours ago, MidfieldGeneral said:

Coming over with my other half for this. She's never been out in town on an evening so we were thinking about going out afterwards. Off for the rest of the week and got a hotel booked so would be rude not to. 

Could anyone recommend somewhere to go? Preferably indie or dance music? 

Pretty sure Market Shaker is decent on a Wednesday.