Newcastle United 0-0 Crystal Palace (Newcastle win 3-2 on pels) - 09/11/22

Disco

Just now, hakka said:

Just seen Bruno's penalty. Wtf! :lol:

Cut the stupid run up out and get it on target. :thup:

His way of taking penalties. Maybe he should stop playing it short and chuck it to Wilson every time.

2 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

Was at the match and it honestly wasn’t far off watching Bruce ball in the first half.

Massive how much just Trippier and Bruno improve us.

Hard work for sure that first half. But EH had a stacked bench and he clearly went for it by the end.

Largely forgettable, but the momentum keeps us moving forward. That was a game we easily would've lost without a whimper in previous seasons.

1 minute ago, RodneyCisse said:

Was at the match and it honestly wasn’t far off watching Bruce ball in the first half

Wasn't great at all, most of the players didn't play well at all. So sloppy. So many long balls too, which is a tad uncharacteristic, albeit with 70% B Team.

Didn't help Palace seemed happy enough to play for pens like. Soon as I seen 3 CB for them against Wood I feared for a long night. Targett was sloppy and ASM was particularly poor I thought, but it is canny fashionable to grief him. Only Joelinton (second half) looked OK. Rest were all pretty meh.

I went to the home league game against Palace and was massively impressed by both Guehi and Anderson. The fact we didn't score against them again last night in open play suggests the PL performance wasn't a fluke.

Wonder whether we might consider a move for Guehi at some point?

1 hour ago, Minhosa said:

I went to the home league game against Palace and was massively impressed by both Guehi and Anderson. The fact we didn't score against them again last night in open play suggests the PL performance wasn't a fluke.

Wonder whether we might consider a move for Guehi at some point?

Him with Botman the next 7+ years would be unbelievable but he’s got to be a premium price.

3 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

100% was people just turning up assuming we'd win. That Bolton game will always stick in my mind, partly because it was the day after my 18th, partly because it was the day we went 12 points clear and for that horrendous atmosphere.

I remember we went 1-0 up early on, think Paul Kitson scored and people just didn't seem arsed. Was a totally bizarre experience. Back in those days the ground held 36k and 33k must have been season ticket holders so you had exactly the same people around you every week.

Agree about the stadium expansion damaging the atmosphere post 2000 as well. It's a bad design for holding in the noise. Hopefully that's something they can rectify in the coming years.

Good insight cheers. I was always under the impression the atmosphere from 92-99ish pre extension was class. 

18 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Good insight cheers. I was always under the impression the atmosphere from 92-99ish pre extension was class. 

No it definitely wasn't. The start of the 92/93 season was amazing. Best in my lifetime. We would park up at the Dental Hospital at 2pm and as soon as the car doors were open you could hear the crowd singing inside the ground as all the terraced areas were already full (we had season tickets so didn't have to get there as early). Then after 7,000 were locked out v Tranmere they made every game all ticket and I always thought that took the edge off the atmosphere a bit.

93/94 was pretty good but it started to tail off the following season, apart from the odd game. Man Utd and Liverpool were always good games and we had a midweek game v Spurs in 94/95 which had an unbelievable atmosphere (I think it finished 3-3) but generally speaking it's a lot better these days than it was back then.

The atmosphere was awesome 92-94, then on probably 50/50 until 98.

Its natural anywhere that the atmosphere isn't going to be electric when you're a top team used to winning and against bottom placed Bolton than against championship rivals but the context is how many places did Bolton play that year that were better, hardly any if any.

Some of the games in the 92/93 season were sub-par but I've since watched season reviews of the other teams and you've got to bare in mind, they've gone from playing in front of 7-9k every week to 28-30k and got a new context on it.

I watched the QPR game back from 96 recently, recalling it as an average game with average atmosphere. It was absolutely thunderous by today's standards. The only league cup tie at home I remember having a good atmosphere was Boro in 92.

Edited by Wolfcastle

6 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

The atmosphere was awesome 92-94, then on probably 50/50 until 98.

Its natural anywhere that the atmosphere isn't going to be electric when you're a top team used to winning and against bottom placed Bolton than against championship rivals but the context is how many places did Bolton play that year that were better, hardly any if any.

Some of the games in the 92/93 season were sub-par but I've since watched season reviews of the other teams and you've got to bare in mind, they've gone from playing in front of 7-9k every week to 28-30k and got a new context on it.

I watched the QPR game back from 96 recently, recalling it as an average game with average atmosphere. It was absolutely thunderous by today's standards. The only league cup tie at home I remember having a good atmosphere was Boro in 92.

Boro was a brilliant atmosphere (Rob Lee's debut was it?) and it finished 0-0. You're right probably the only good League Cup atmosphere I can ever recall.

Saint Maximin may have had a poor game but the highlights show he still put in some great and dangerous crosses. 

Looks like the game turned on its head after the substitutions and with a more clinical striker we would have had a hat full.

9 minutes ago, Dr. TC said:

Saint Maximin may have had a poor game but the highlights show he still put in some great and dangerous crosses. 

Looks like the game turned on its head after the substitutions and with a more clinical striker we would have had a hat full.

Wilson or Isak start and we're out of sight there. Wood did what was needed this week mind you - banged in the crucial match changing goal vs Southampton and took his penalty brilliantly well last night. 

Why the 25 yard arched run up if you’re going to all but stop prior to taking the pen? Quite possibly the most farcical pen I’ve ever witnessed.As for Manquillo’s performance,absolutely dreadful both offensively and defensively.Burn seemed happy to take responsibility when Palace played long to their central striker (thank fuck it wasn’t Lascelles) .When I saw Lewis warming up I thought Eddie was planning to lessening  our chances of fixture congestion .As has already been said,things changed when we made three substitutions.Given another 10 mins and I think we would have won it without the need for pens.ASM’s Lamborghini looks canny.